Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a 2005+ box swinger on my 2003 999. My 999 has a Termignoni 54mm full exhaust system. This will need some tweeking, so if anybody has a 749/999 w/ a Termignoni 54mm "round" pipe, not oval full system I would greatly appreciate some pics:
Of the exhaust, under and along side the swingarm and shock area on the right side, where the mid-pipe collects the front and rear exhaust pipes.
If you could take them w/ the fairing off that would be great, but I'll take anything, any angles, any pics you guys could send me would be helpful.

PM or Email me at : [email protected]

Thankyou!

JEFF

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Cuvi's should work for you. If not I have a 05 999R with the full 57 mm Termi system. Let me know!

Mike
Only problem is the 57mm systems were built with enough clearance for the braced swingarm. The 54mm round systems were made for the cast swingarm. The OP is looking to see where clearance will be an issue; which will be the hump/cutout for the exhuast collector pipe.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is for sure a tight fit! My bike was the first in the states with the 57 mm full system and it burned through the fairing! My fairing was replaced by ducati but my shop had to do a service bullitin. So most of the original pictures are from my bike! The system sounds great and will bring your motor to life!

Mike

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is for sure a tight fit! My bike was the first in the states with the 57 mm full system and it burned through the fairing! My fairing was replaced by ducati but my shop had to do a service bullitin. So most of the original pictures are from my bike! The system sounds great and will bring your motor to life!

Mike
Thanks Mike! I had a Termi slip on and replaced it w/ a Termi 54mm w/ a titanium muffler, ECU, etc. You're right, it made a big difference! Holy cow! This is basically my last mod, no big deal if it doesn't fit. From inquiries I've made, it can be done w/ minimum fabrication...but it would be great to see some pics of someone who's done it. One member here put an my exhaust on his 749 which already had the new swinger upgrade.....just waiting for pics of the pipes now!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
In fiddling with my 54mm system I was doing the opposite and moving that section of pipe inwards closer to the swingarm. Anyway, my point is is that there's a bit of movement in there on that particular section in the joints, mount and springs so you should be able to gap it enough with some careful bashing with a hammer to get a few millimetres of clearance?

I have seen a later swingarm bike with a 57mm round section midpipe and there didn't appear to be anything untoward happening with the swingarm. It had that one piece carbon heatshield which covers both a section of the header of the rear cylinder and that secondary. This then brings the next consideration and that is the stuff on the other side of the pipe - the fairing and the right hand footpeg! So I think you're getting into a new fairing bracket on that bottom mount and spacing your footpeg out a bit further.

The SBK bikes have a round section 63mm system so it can be done.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In fiddling with my 54mm system I was doing the opposite and moving that section of pipe inwards closer to the swingarm. Anyway, my point is is that there's a bit of movement in there on that particular section in the joints, mount and springs so you should be able to gap it enough with some careful bashing with a hammer to get a few millimetres of clearance?

I have seen a later swingarm bike with a 57mm round section midpipe and there didn't appear to be anything untoward happening with the swingarm. It had that one piece carbon heatshield which covers both a section of the header of the rear cylinder and that secondary. This then brings the next consideration and that is the stuff on the other side of the pipe - the fairing and the right hand footpeg! So I think you're getting into a new fairing bracket on that bottom mount and spacing your footpeg out a bit further.

The SBK bikes have a round section 63mm system so it can be done.
I already have my right peg bracket spaced out w/ the kit that came w/ the 54mm. The guy who sold me the swingarm tried it on his 999 w/ the same 54mm system as I have. He said it was sooo close-it mounted up fine but hit the bottom of the swinger. He said the splitter needs to be slightly rotated and it would work perfect! He didn't have the tools needed to do the job, plus he decided he liked the older swinger better. There's room in there and there's alot of play in the Termi pipes. Hey, a little bending here, block of wood there!:D
The WSBKs run a Pierobon swingarm, which the OEM swinger is a copy of. The fork isn't as tall on the right side of the Pierobon, allowing the exhaust plenty of clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts