Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far you guys have rocked. all my questions answered. so anyone have links to a manufacture of a seat cowl for a 2001 996 biposto???

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I know Casoli (UK) make one, as I had one until a year ago when I bought a true mono seat. But it fitted well and looked good. I think they're in big demand because when I put it on ebay I had loads of interest and it sold for good money despite being used. Ducati also make one and I have seen a few different versions on ebay.

Here's a pic of my old Casoli cowl;

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seat cowl

that looks excellent, just what we are looking for. just wanted to confirm, the seat stays on, correct? and the seat cowl goes over the seat, not replacing the seat?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
No, it replaces the seat pad and bolts through the same 4 holes in the tail section. I've not seen one that fits over the seat. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seat cowl

well it seems Casoli closed doors in the US about six months ago. My local dealer thinks Tarja makes one. Also there seems to me some idea that Ducati actually makes seat cowl.

anyone have information on these options

also if I want to order from Casoli in UK, is that possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seat cowl

thanks, great link. I believe that link was to a UK vendor also. I will e-mail them and see what I can get arranged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got an oem biposto tail from my 2001 996 that has some rash on it on the right side. Haven't got a chance to put it on ebay yet. Could easily be fixed to look like new. Email if interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what its worth....

I am new here, and I had the Casoli cowl. It is the nicest by far, however, IMHO, never looked quite right. Also, at a MSRP of almost $400, I think one is better off finding it used, or just buying a mono tail and doing the conversion. From experience this runs about $300 for a great OEM painted tail.

If anyone needs help with that, let me know I have all the part #'s as well as where to find alternatives locally so you do not have to wait for Ducati Dealer to order them!

Mason

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
mase001 said:
I am new here, and I had the Casoli cowl. It is the nicest by far, however, IMHO, never looked quite right. Also, at a MSRP of almost $400, I think one is better off finding it used, or just buying a mono tail and doing the conversion. From experience this runs about $300 for a great OEM painted tail.
If a cowl really costs $400 then, I think you're better looking for a mono seat, as it looks better, is easier to swap over and is lighter - That's why I did it and having just looked on ebay (UK) this one just ended at less than $400;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8060076919&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

And theres a Casoli CF mono seat, with lights etc here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8061244865&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seat cowl

the mono coversion is nice. especially if you start with a biposto and go to a mono. it seems easier than mono to bi

however in our case, we really want to keep the bi set up (i.e. friend needs an unexpected ride) and have somewhat of a mono look

I am wondering if another bike, honda CBR1000RR, GSXR, Triumph etc, might have a similar seat, and one of those could be adapted.

For example ryan use to ride a BMW R1100S and it has an oem seat cowl. it does not fit, but I was amazed at how close it was.

Perhaps one of the other model of bikes might fit??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well...

The nice thing is that if you get a complete (wiring and lights, etc) Mono tail, you just unplug the lights, then unplug two pins and the seat changes. It is way easier, IMHO, than unscrewing the cowl putting seat on and recrewing it it.

Unless you can score a cowl on ebay for under 100 IMHO, the switch is better, if you can afford it. If you are paying retail, go with the actual conversion. Nothing against Casoli, the cover is REALLY nice (probably the best quality you can buy), just not as nice as the total conversion. PLUS, I love the white number panel look on the mono tail!!!

Either way, good luck, and like I said if anyone wants part #'s and or, place to get alternative parts cheaply, let me know!

Mason
Mason

·
Registered
403 Posts
All good points above. But, my experience was that I couldn't find a mono tail for under $500. New was around $600, and at the time Casoli US was still operating and had a carbon fiber tail for about the same price as OEM plastic. So guess what resides on my bike? It's a nice carbon fiber piece and the paint is an absolutely perfect match. However, the fuggers at Casoli US then proceeded to skip town with my other $175 for a clutch cover that was never delivered before they closed shop. Probably not much help for the original poster, but that was my experience trying to solve the bi to something different problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seat cowl

as I noted above, the issue is if you out on the road, and need to help or you pick someone up, and want at least to be able to help them out, even if it is just for a short trip.

I you have the mono on, then no luck, but if you have a seat cowl, that leaves the seat on (that is the key) then you just remove the cowl, have the passenger hold the cowl, and you can at least help someone out for a short ride etc.

But so far we have not found what we are looking for, so we are looking at other options.

thanks for all the comments, links, and good suggestions.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
rde55 said:
but if you have a seat cowl, that leaves the seat on (that is the key) then you just remove the cowl, have the passenger hold the cowl
I imagine it would be possible to make/modify such a cowl with a smaller built-in seat pad underneath and some means of quick release but it might be a lot of trouble to do - there could be a market for it though?.

But to swap the seat pad for the cowl is a 10 minute job with tools, although with a bit of application one could probably devise a quick-change method using Dzus fasteners or push-ins (like the mirrors) - but what about the footpegs? and where would you carry the part not in use?.

A friend of mine has a TL100R with a system like the one you describe with a 'humped' cowl that fits over the seat, although, if removed, there is nowhere to carry the cowl on the bike (and he has no pillion footpegs as the high-rise Yoshi pipes are in the way).

I fear you may be stuck with the stock Biposto style - which already has the fairing-coloured seat pad to help it look more Mono-ish.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
This totally depends on who you have to pick up. If it's hot young lady then she can simply sit on the tail and wrap her legs around to hand on with no foot pegs. Now if it's a 200-lb buddy then he'll have to put that thumb to work. Or start walking while I go pick up a car.

-CC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts