Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I have a manual for my 939sp, but am finding inconsistent torque specs. I need the torque specs for:

- magnetic drain plug
- mesh filter screen
- plug for the mesh filter screen
- large non-magnetic drain plug beneath filter screen
- oil filter

Also, is anyone using the Ducabond, Permatex #599, etc sealant on the drain plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey guys-
I have a manual for my 939sp, but am finding inconsistent torque specs. I need the torque specs for:
These figures are from an 821 SP svc manual but they're prob. the same or close.
- magnetic drain plug=min.18 max.22 Nm
- mesh filter screen=42 Nm
- plug for the mesh filter screen=42 Nm
- large non-magnetic drain plug beneath filter screen = 25 Nm with grease applied to threads
- oil filter=min. 10 max 12 Nm using the ducati tool. I have never used a torque wrench on any oil filter auto or MC in 45 years, Iv'e never had a leak.

Also, is anyone using the Ducabond, Permatex #599, etc sealant on the drain plug?

I have not used the sealant and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never used anything on mine, zero leaks. And FWIW, I don't consider it an imperative to use a torque wrench on ANY of these particular items. Just common sense good n tight will suffice for any of these things IMO.

Things like axles, sprockets, cylinder heads, and the like are important but, these things not so much.

Thanks

What did you grease the threads on the mesh filter with?
What grease did you use on the large non magnetic drain plug?

I had an 821 manual that said 42nm for the magnetic drain plug.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks

What did you grease the threads on the mesh filter with?
What grease did you use on the large non magnetic drain plug?

I had an 821 manual that said 42nm for the magnetic drain plug.

I don't recall using any grease on that? The svc manual I have calls the other plug an "intake service plug" and calls for 25 Nm 22 min. and 28 max. using a specified grease on the threads. But they don't name the grease.

The plug they refer to as the "magnetic drain plug" calls for 20 Nm. 18 min. and 22 max.

Iv'e been switching back and forth between the svc manual file I have on my computer and this screen trying to make sure that I did not make any mistakes about what I was reading and what I have written down here is exactly as the downloaded svc manual file I have reads.

The only things that call for 42 Nm are the mesh filter screen and the plug that goes on behind it in the manual that I have.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to my new 2016 939 manual:

Plastic oil mesh filter - 10nm

Oil mesh filter plug - 42nm

Oil intake service hole plug - 42nm (threadlock 5)

Oil filter - 11nm

Magnetic oil drain plug - 20nm (threebond 1215 on threads)

I am much more comfortable with all of these specs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts