Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 64000+ kms on my 2010 SFS, my mechanic has advised me to purchase another motor after finding several copper/brass shards in my oil screen and adequate metal shavings on my drain plug magnet. New(er) motor is on the way but does anyone have a clue what might save me from having this happen again??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tear down for proper diagnosis= 35hrs labor plus parts to correct problem
Engine swap= 8hrs labor

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
35hrs to tear a motor down and rebuild?
Is he kidding?

I just billed a 996 motor removal ,complete teardown, new bearings and reassembly was 12 hours. I can see it taking a little more because the street fighter is more tightly packaged but not 3 times the labor. The motor build itself should not take more than 8-10 hours so it the rest just pulling it and re-installing??

At least with a build you would know what it in the motor, buying used it playing the lottery. Did the donor bike spend the last 10 minutes of its life running on its side with no oil pressure?
The copper was likely rod bearing material from a spun rod bearing. This can be caused by many things but often it is low oil pressure or debris in the oil. Keep an eye on the oil pressure and if when hot you see a drop below spec you may have a bearing on the way out. Also Ti rods are much more prone to rod failures as they ovalize with time and no longer hold the bearings as new.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it really copper and brass?

Sometimes aluminium or the plating from the rocker arms (both silver) will appear to be bronze or copper colored due to the oil. This is pretty common in 4v Ducati motors and not nearly as bad as rod bearings.

These chunks in the oil screen could be bad news, or it could be normal wear and tear. If we're talking 2-3 bits and the screen hasn't been cleaned in years it's probably not a real issue.

Lastly copper/brass are not magnetic so this doesn't explain the metal on the drain plug, which again is fairly normal.

Personally I would continue to run your engine, listening for unusual noises or performance issues, and check the oil again in a few hundred miles. Additionally an oil analysis ($25) will provide a real idea to what sort of metals are in your oil and what sort of problems you're having.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback guys.. Forgot to mention I live in barcelona where good mechanics are hard to come by and the bad ones all hold secure positions at the only two dealerships in town.

I found a 2011 1098 sbk motor with 9000kms on it for sale for 1500 euros and find it to be the cheapest option...

Selling heads, starter motor, engine and head covers to make up some of the costs.

The shards were in the screen, not the plug.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys.. Forgot to mention I live in barcelona where good mechanics are hard to come by and the bad ones all hold secure positions at the only two dealerships in town.

I found a 2011 1098 sbk motor with 9000kms on it for sale for 1500 euros and find it to be the cheapest option...

Selling heads, starter motor, engine and head covers to make up some of the costs.

The shards were in the screen, not the plug.
Why not an 1198 motor?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
The pictures you posted have what looks to be a gear tooth beside the magnet. before I wrote the motor off I would pull the left side cover ... probably both side covers and look for damage. If you find something went wrong under the side cover you might not need a motor. Do the work yourself and you have nothing to lose on a motor you plan to part out anyway. If the damage is not under the side cover it would have to be a transmission gear and it looks wide to be that, could just be the small drain plug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ducvet. In a nutshell, i noticed loud ticking noises from the engine whether in gear or not then loss of power. Once i got into traffic the temp started creaping up and then she just died on me. Limped her home, three days later towed it to my mechanic and before we entered the shop tried to start it again. He looked at me and said crank or rod bearing.

to make matters worse, i sourced out a 2008 SBK engine hoping it would be a direct plug in. I was wrong... The heads seem to be 2-3mm longer. This means the exhaust header must be modded. And today, he says the airbox and fuel tank might not fit either!

Am I wrong thinking the 08 SBK motor would be a direct fit?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Motor swaps are seldom a "drop in" ........ but some times they are close.
The heads are the same so I do not know why you would have an issue, I just pulled up the part number for a horizontal head 30122383B from a 2008 1098 and the part updates in the system to 30122384B which is the same part number as the 2010 street fighter S. Heads appear to be the same though the cases are different.

Unless there is something else I am missing I also do not see the issue, any chance you have an R motor or something that is not matching up?

Your mechanic should be able to show you what parts and why things are not fitting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a million ducvet... I imagine the case is the one causing the exhaust header mod.

Aside from that, do you think ill run into any problems with the throttle bodies, airbox and fuel tank fitment??

Thanks again buddy...

·
Registered
931 Posts
It appears you'll be the guinea pig on this one. I have never seen an engine swap here.

I knew the 1198 was a bit taller but i thought as you the sbk 1098 was the same as our 1099.

Please keep us informed of your unfortunate adventure.

·
Bon Vivant
10,957 Posts
The SF 1098 does have it's own cases that are unlike any other bike. They are vacural cast and very much thinner, unlike the 1098 SBK which has gravity cast cases that are thicker. I didn't know that the outward dimensions would be different and cause fitment issues but it looks as though that's what you've run into. That's a surprise to me if that's the case...

If for some reason the 1098 SBK motor is longer than the SF you may also have a problem with the front wheel clearing the horizontal head at full compression. I know that this a very tight fit on an SF.

·
Bon Vivant
10,957 Posts
It appears you'll be the guinea pig on this one. I have never seen an engine swap here.

I knew the 1198 was a bit taller but i thought as you the sbk 1098 was the same as our 1099.

Please keep us informed of your unfortunate adventure.
The 1198 also has a different exhaust port configuration and the pipes would not bolt up so that engine would be a lot more involved but I always thought the 1098sbk engine should be a drop-in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts