Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my springs upgraded at the dealer. Upon picking it up I noticed a slight thunk upon acceleration. Never gave it much thought(I know, I know) until a friend noticed how loose my chain was:eek:. It was virtually laying on the lower chain guide and stock exhaust unit thingy. I immediately shoot down to dealer to get it addressed and was told W/O even looking that it was worn and needed replacement. Funny thing is before this it was fine though every time I've had it tensioned I felt they never tightened it enough. I was even told that it was to be tightened differently than the manual suggests. I felt that after installing the stiffer springs they simply didn't adjust it for the shorter stiffer springs and maybe:rolleyes: forgot. We argued the point and I mentioned I hear of guys online getting much higher mileage out of them. The mech persisted and stood by his claim of having properly tensioned the chain after the swap and I told them at the 15k I would consider a new chain and sprocket and had them tighten it as much as they could while being told there wasn't enough adjustment. So I get the bike back and the chain is tighter than I've ever seen it. Now I am in doubt a bit feel he was arguing to save face but am open to being wrong.

They are still pushing this agenda as I was also told he has never seen a chain last this long on a Multi.

-What do you guys think?

-Is his ego in the way of the truth or am I reading too much online?

-What life are you all getting out of your chains on the 1200?

·
Registered
692 Posts
The tech is full of bs about a MTS chain not lasting 12K miles...unless all of their customers don't take care of them. I've got about 10K miles on mine and it's still like new(no off road) because I take good care of it. But...12K miles is getting near to the point where a change may be needed.

You've got the stuff in your tool bag to adjust your chain tension. After washing the bike, clean the chain and lube it...adjust as necessary. If you haven't done that...your chain may be about shot. Check the wear of the sprockets teeth for getting thin at the top, or cupping, etc. Pull the chain away from the sprocket, can you see daylight between the two? Those kind of issues or a stiff section(s) of chain...and you've gotta replace it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
-What do you guys think?
What size chain came on the bike? 520? 525?

If it is a 520, I don't get crap for mileage from them. The OEM 520 on my 748 was absolute toast at 11k and took out the sprockets with it. I replaced it with a 525 set-up that currently has over 14k and looks fine. I generally get 18k-24k from a 525. My wife has over 28k on the 530 set on her R1.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
The 1200 has a 530, I believe. If I was guessing, it may have been over tightened. Might be time to take on some of these tasks?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have 20K KM (not miles) on my chain and it is fine.

FYI, I think the way the chain is adjusted as recommended by Ducati is pretty hopeless and variable

I have a 2010 bike and it says this:
Important
Have chain tension adjusted by a Ducati Dealer or authorised Service Centre.
Measure chain tension at the centre of the lower section, with the motorcycle on the side stand: lower the chain by pressing down on it only with your finger, release it and measure the distance (A) between the centre of the chain pins and the aluminium section of the swingarm.
It must be: A = 35 ÷ 37 mm.
As you may know, if you put the bike on the sidestand, the chain tension will vary depending on the suspension settings, weight of stuff on the bike (topbox and whats in it etc) and very importantly, "sticktion" in the rear shock. Push the bike' suspension and it can settle in a different attitude and then have a different tension.

Of course, changing the rear spring will have affected how the bike sits on the sidestand - and "confused" your dealer.

I think the idea is this:
The swingarm moves in an arc.
As the front sprocket is forward of the pivot point, the distance between the centre of the front drive and the centre of the rear drive (the axel) changes and changes the chain tension as the swing arm swings.
You actually want the chain to be just tight with no slop when the distance is at its maximum.
This is probably about when you are sitting on the bike with a load on the suspension. Hard to adjust the chain when sitting on the bike though.

I have a centrestand fitted and as this is consistent with the rear shock at full extension, I would like a gauge to set the chain slop like this. In fact this is how I adjust the chain and do it by feel.

I would also like a system where you could crank the rear adjuster around with a small gear so you had a set and fine adjustment. Like in the old days when you adjusted the tension with a bolt and locknut on each side of the swingarm. I find that even with Andy W's fine wrench, getting fine adjustments to chain tension is really hard.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1200 has a 530, I believe. If I was guessing, it may have been over tightened. Might be time to take on some of these tasks?

Have a good one.
Starting to agree that I should tighten it myself and maybe I should just spring for a new set this time to be safe. I'm not so sure it was over tightened though because previously it has never been within the gauge after having them adjust it. This last time was the first time it was in spec of the said provided gauge!

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Measure it first. There are two ways, get a ruler and measure the length between a number of links. Each link is 5/8in long. A new chain will measure 6.25in over 10 links. The wear limit is typically about 6.36in (1% to 2%). You need to hang a decent weight (approx 20lb) from the chain to ensure it is stretched.

Otherwise, you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket. If you see a decent gap between the bottom of the tooth and chain (daylight), it should probably be replaced.

Your owners manual will give you the right tension measurement for the future.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One more thing you need to be aware of. The two bolts that tighten down on the axle on the bike need to be carefully torqued whenever you get done adjusting the chain. The "thunk" you felt upon acceleration may have been the axle rotating in the boss, causing the chain to loosen.

You need to go back and forth between the 2 bolts tightening it to the specified 36lbs (Not certain about the spec, but you get the idea). If you don't make sure that both bolts are tightened to spec, your chain will get loose again really quick.

I had this happen on my Triumph Sprint ST a few years back. I didn't tighten the bolts properly and when the chain got loose again, I assumed that it was worn out and needed replacement. Thankfully, my dealership showed me my mistake and I was good to go.

My Multi has over 13,000 miles on it now, with the original chain and I haven't had to adjust it in over 1,000 miles. Now, I do take good care of my chain, lubing it every other ride and giving it a good cleaning every 1,000 miles or so. I do ride off road so it can get pretty nasty.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You need to go back and forth between the 2 bolts tightening it to the specified 36lbs (Not certain about the spec, but you get the idea).
That number is incorrect. It's between 35-40 Nm (diff is between manual and the tech). That foot pound number is too high!

·
Registered
210 Posts
That number is incorrect. It's between 35-40 Nm (diff is between manual and the tech). That foot pound number is too high!
You are correct. I checked the Multistrada info pages and it's 35nm which converts to a little over 25 ft lbs. The point of my post is that you need to go back and forth between the two bolts to make sure they are torqued correctly, not just a 1-2-1 like the specs say. More like 1-2-1-2-1-2-1.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hmmm .. an omission in both my PDF user manual and my workshop manual...
In neither of these can I find :

" Level l preload (URBAN Riding Mode and SOLO Load ) as this is the tightest chain setting."

This is probably an important piece of info and easily forgotten.

I managed to 'flatten" and ruin my guage (long story), but instead now use an old allen key I marked up clearly at 36mm with a hacksaw so its easy to see in the shadows.
Now I can make an adjustment, then just hold the key in place and eyeball the lineup and then re adjust again.

I kinda tune it like a guitar string too. Gradually tighten it up to the mark. If I over shoot then back it off and try again. It amazes me just hw small a movement makes such a huge change. !

Gotta admit though... I've always had that wierd crunching sound when taking off.
If I make the chain too tight ... it mostly goes away ...

Cheers,
Wit C.

·
Registered
805 Posts
What is sooooooo special about the MSTD 1200 chain ?
Make:
Regina
Type:
136ZRPB
Dimensions:
5/8“x1/16“
Links:

I cant find a reff to ZRPB on the regina website (or the 1/16") dimension. !!!

What 'other' chains have people used ?

Frasers have so far not been able to source one for me, so my bike has been sitting at Frasers, waiting for the new parts to be installed (sprockets, chain, rear disk, new radiator) and the chain.... but nothing will happen until the chain arrives. for NINE DAYS so far...
Right now I'm pretty dissapointed with the reliability of my bike and the ability of Frasers to keep it going.

I very politley tried to voice my dissapointment today and although they listened with a sympathetic ear, still manage to to ask me "have you ever owned a ducati before ?".

A recent ducati bigwig visiting Oz was recorded as saying something along the lines of, "Ducati don't make motorcycles. They make expensive toys for people who can afford them".

I kinda over the attitude, and definitly over the unreliablity.
Bring on Multistrada expirience... That will be this bikes last ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So special? Nothing. If you look at the Regina website, they list a 136ZRP chain...the B suffix most likely denotes the colour (i.e. black/uncoloured). I suspect it's probably an OEM supply only, as Regina's ZRP chains normally have gold side plates.

I don't see how it takes 9 days to find a suitable chain to equivalent spec, it's a 530 heavy-duty Z/X-ring (depending on manufacturer) chain, 108 link. Whoever is responsible for dealing with this at the shop is clearly a f*cking moron.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
a 530 chain is a 530 chain, buy any one with 108links and it'll work fine, pick out a color you want and go for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm replacing my chain and sprockets at 24,000 miles. Yes the chain is toast, lots of kinks in it, not stretched really just kinked links.
Got a great deal on a EK gold chain with rivet master link from Motorcycle Superstore, but there are no after market sprockets, none that I could find anyway. Supersprockets is comming out with 530 sprockets for the Multi, but not until later this summer.
So i ordered from Ducati, $193.00 for the rear sprocket, $53 for the front, ouch. I did give a quick thought to re-using the old sprockets with the new chain, but the sprockets have significant wear on them. It's only money, and 24,000 miles is the most I've ever gotten out of a chain.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So special? Nothing. If you look at the Regina website, they list a 136ZRP chain...the B suffix most likely denotes the colour (i.e. black/uncoloured). I suspect it's probably an OEM supply only, as Regina's ZRP chains normally have gold side plates.

I don't see how it takes 9 days to find a suitable chain to equivalent spec, it's a 530 heavy-duty Z/X-ring (depending on manufacturer) chain, 108 link. Whoever is responsible for dealing with this at the shop is clearly a f*cking moron.
Doodle, Cyclops and Zvez,
Thanks guys , that's pretty much what I thought.

Doodle thanks for the 'B' explination ... makes sense ! and I agree with the last bit too !:mad::rolleyes:

Zvez, I might resort to buying one myself today if there's no movement at the shop.

Cyclops, I'm talking about the bigest dealer here in Oz, who are based in the same building as the importer. Dunno if it's worth shipping one overnight from the US... :D

Working half the day in Rhodes to day ...
Might be able to get to the shop this afternoon ....

·
Registered
805 Posts
More in line with the original post ....
My chain and sprockets are almost 27,000km old...
Front sprocket really worn, chain not great, rear sprocket not too bad , but as they all play together ...

The chain maintenance elf has been noticable by his absence for a while ...
Had I been a bit more pre-emptive, I might have got a good bit more wear out of the set.

Cheers (again)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts