Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had R1's back in the day, track days etc. then switched over to a cruiser like society makes you feel is a prerequisite when hitting your 30's (hah!).

Now however, I miss the style of riding I got from my street bike days, but do not want to venture back into it 100%. I was thinking a Monster would be a happy medium, and I really like the fact the rider position is more neutral.

Heres the issue. Never ridden a Monster, closet motor I have even ridden to a Ducati is an R1 with a cross-plane motor which had gobs of torque down low and I loved.

Currently looking at a 2013 Monster Diesel Edition which has caught my eye and I'm intrigued by because it seems like a grungy bike that still would look good if its a tad dirty (if not better). I do not own a garage, I have a shed and a pave-stone patio it would bounce between when not being ridden. Presumably most of its time would be covered (going to grab a decent cover) on the patio.

I also want something that is going to last. As the depreciating asset that it is, I want 5+ years and or 20+K miles out of it. All while not being fussy about being outside a lot.

I know Ducati's have had some criticism in the past for their reliability, and thats why I'm here. If you guys do not mind, give me a quick consolidation on this generation of 1100 Monster and if I should be looking at something else given the circumstances. I also posted the link below, let me know what you think of the price.

By the way, dealer said past owner never turned it in with the green matched solo seat cover. Asked him how much it was to replace and he laughed and said about 800 from Ducati factory painted.....

Still considering the bike, as long as the value is there for what is is. Looking forward to responses. Thanks guys.

National Powersports Distributors - Pembroke, New Hampshire - 1-603-410-4120

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get it. I love my 1100s and no research I did led to reliability issues. Just take care of it

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
2009. Only since January, haha. I only have about 1500 miles. Bike has 10000 I have all service records from its past which was basically nothing outside of the schedules maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2009. Only since January, haha. I only have about 1500 miles. Bike has 10000 I have all service records from its past which was basically nothing outside of the schedules maintenance.

Is the price their asking for the Monster I posted in-line or are they asking past market value right now?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems decent to me with under 4000 miles. But I am definitely no expert in that area. Very cool bike

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 09 1100, bought with 10K miles and now at 16K. It's a really fun bike, I love it, and many have had zero issues, but my experience has not been all sunshine and butterflies.

These are the notes from my 11 months with this bike. I will preface this by saying this is likely not the typical experience and some of these issues probably wouldn't bother many here, but this is just what I've seen.

8/6/2016 - Bike inspected, purchased.

8/9/16 - Bike repeatedly getting stuck in gear, clutch would not fully disengage, clutch bled. Temporarily solved.

8/13/16 - Spark plugs changed and right fork seal replaced following inspection. Further inspection during service revealed rock chips as cause of leak (front fender does not do a great job of protecting forks).

8/19/2016 - Bike stuck in gear again, clutch not disengaging. Further inspection reveals clutch slave cylinder has died. Ducati Performance slave can't be rebuilt, OEM slave installed.

9/3/2016 - Shifter bolt fell off, lever flopping around. Repaired by local dealer service manager who saw me stuck on side of highway. Noted left fork seal weeping lightly.

10/8/2016 - Shift return spring snapped on corner entry with third to second downshift, bike jammed between gears (luckily did not crash). Stuck halfway up canyon road with no cell service. Had to catch a ride with a guy on a BMW to Newcomb's, waited several hours for tow truck to get up the mountain. Towed to dealer, replaced spring and left fork seal.

1/1/2017 - Right fork seal weeping intermittently, only 3K miles on seal.

1/25/2017 - Hit by car, during rebuild find Ducati bolts and screws made out of stale biscuits. Bolt that attaches plastic fuel cap mount jammed in collar nut, plastic mount snaps on removal. Mount not sold by Ducati without entire fuel cap assembly (requires a new key), have to track a used assembly down on eBay, paid $125 just to get that plastic mount. Underseat tail plate bolts stripped, two weekends spent drilling four bolts out, smoke pouring out of my new li-ion Makita impact driver. Replaced with flanged titanium screws (takes a normal socket), so I never have to deal with this again. As soon as bike fired up, low beam headlight bulb dies. As soon as low beam bulb replaced, parking light dies. (Unrelated to reliability of bike, but I also replaced turn signals with DP leds. Bulbs quick blink unless polarity is reversed-red to black and vice versa-gotta love Ducati engineering).

6/15/2017 - Drop bike off for 15K service. Battery replaced with lithium so I can end the Monster start-up rain dance (bike required headlight to be killed to start above 70 degrees, greater than 50% chance of starting after three attempts-when temps below 70 degrees, less than 50% chance of starting after three attempts.) Expecting call from dealer to pick up my bike, instead told the plastic tank is warped on the bottom by the fuel pump flange as the plastic tank sits right above the hot cylinder head. Tank not holding seal and needs to be replaced (rode out to look at the tank and it was indeed warped), new part $1200 plus tax and they are certain this will happen again. Track down used 1100 Evo tank on eBay for install. Bike starts 100% on lithium battery. Range with Evo tank still decent, 110+ highway miles before light.

Right now, I have a set of 1100 Evo forks waiting to be installed, and will be collecting gas tanks and other OEM bits as they come up on eBay to have as spares. The nice thing about this generation bike is that used parts are plentiful and mostly interchangeable across the 696/796/1100/Evo line. I even pulled a throttle cable off a Hypermotard when I installed my Rizoma bar risers, as the cable is longer but otherwise the same.

Again, I want to say that I love my bike. There's nothing out right now that would be an acceptable replacement to me. The bike only weighs around 400lbs wet (with some minor weight loss), gets 45+ mpg in the canyons, and with 80lbs/ft of torque will lift it's front wheel every chance it gets. I just feel like expectations need to be altered when coming from a Japanese bike (I came from a Ninja). Have someone you really trust inspect the bike, and if it checks out, enjoy. These bikes are a hoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts