Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a black 06 multi, have not realized until now that when i leave the bike in gear but pull in the clutch to move it there is like a metal sound comming from the gear case. I do work in the mechanical field it sounds like a tooth broke off a gear, but does not do it in nuetral. but does it in forward and reverse, bike has 14,000 on it and its my baby, but i am praying that thats not what it is, any info would be helpful someone please tell me i didnt break the gearbox. My next action is to drain the oil and see if there are metal shavings. Thanks for the help! :confused:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
it doesn't do it neutral but it does it in "reverse?"

maybe this will help some of the pros to answer your question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right I sould have been more specific it does not do it in nuetral, but when you drop i into gear and roll it forward and backward it makes the noise ducati's dont have reverse

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It sounds like the clutch plates rubbing together. It's super hard to push mine with the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in so I just always drop it into neutral.

·
Registered
346 Posts
More info please. Does the bike run ok? Is it exhibiting any issues with shifting, starting, standing at a stop with clutch in, etc? Are you hearing this noise when the bike's shut off and you're pulling in the clutch and rocking the bike in gear, or is this happening when the bike's running? It's very normal to hear a bit of noise coming from the clutch if the engine is off and you put it in gear, pull in the clutch, and move it forward or rock it back and forth. You're then hearing the plates moving against the fingers of the clutch basket, and possibly a very little bit of fore/aft gear engagement noise. Completely normal and not indicative of any problem whatsoever, and certainly not a broken tooth of any kind. Don't get into a crazy lather looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It sounds like the clutch plates rubbing together. It's super hard to push mine with the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in so I just always drop it into neutral.
Try spraying some brake pad cleaner on the clutch plates while you grab and release the lever... engine off. That cured mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys now that i looked at it closer and took the cluch cover off the noise is the clutch plates moving, my brother who owned it before me told me it has always made that noise and he bought it brand new. nothing wrong with it when i ride trans is silky smooth and no noise anytime else so I think I just got scared and feared the worse...:think:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts