Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need info. I am selling a 916 with Ohlins rear shock and keeping a 996 with Showa rear shocks. Is Ohlins rear shock that much better and is it worth my time to switch them?

If I do switch them, how long does it usually take and don't I need a special hydraulic lift. I assume that a single sided rear stand won't work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Drew

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I took out my Ohlins shock out of my 998 I put 2 jack stands under the rearsets, swing arm stand wont work because if you remove bottom bolt from shock while on a swing arm stand the rear end will collapse, you have to suspend the bike frame, I have aftermarket rearsets that dont fold and it took 10 min to take out shock after it was on the stands

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
ghostrider said:
When I took out my Ohlins shock out of my 998 I put 2 jack stands under the rearsets, swing arm stand wont work because if you remove bottom bolt from shock while on a swing arm stand the rear end will collapse, you have to suspend the bike frame, I have aftermarket rearsets that dont fold and it took 10 min to take out shock after it was on the stands
Ditto. The switch should take less than 15 minutes. Put the bike up on the rear stand and slide jack stands under the rearsets. (It works fine with the stock ones). Then, holding the front brake to keep the bike stationary, lower the bike off of the rear stand. To get at the lower shock bolt, loosen the chain all of the way. Then you get lift it out of the way to easily slide your hex in there (I needed an extension from the wratchet to reach the bolt). You will need a hex that can attach to a torque wrench, as you will need to torque these bolts back down. Also, if you have never had the shock out, it is possible that some of the bolts have corroded and will be very difficult to remove. Be wary of this and don't strip those bolts.

As far as the Ohlins being "better" than the Showa? Most people probably couldn't tell the difference, other than the obvious bling factor. At track days, you'll see plenty of people of Ducks with stock Showas going plenty fast.

Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts