Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a ducati for going around 30 miles a day. I looked at the 848 yesterday and loved it but I dont know if I want to spend 14 grand. I do like the 748 but I dont know if its reliable for my long mile days. How often do you have to do service on the 748??

What ballpark figure would it be for insurance on one of these if I am 21 and have no points on my record?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Purely my opinion. Ducatis are horrible commuters if you are not ready to spend about $1000+ in maintenance every 6000 miles (that's every 6 months based upon your 30 mile per day estimate). $300-$500 for tires; $100 for oil changes; $600 for the service including parts. These are my personal figures, your mileage may vary. ;)
Mine have always been very reliable, never stranded, but I've NEVER met a Duc that liked to sit out in the rain in case you don't have covered parking at work.
Insurance depends on coverage. If you pay cash for the bike then you don't need full coverage for a lien. Here in Florida I pay $125 per year for comprehensive/liability for both my bikes but I'm 48 with a clean record.:) Collision coverage is significantly more.
Also my opinion, nobody should own a Ducati unless finances are not an issue and/or they wrench on it themselves. The parts are very expensive compared to other brands.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think they are a few people on here that commute with a Ducati. However, the 748 is not really a great commuting bike. If you must have a Ducati and are going to use it for commuting how about a Monster or Multistrada. They will give you a more upright seating position and will be much more comfortable. About the only place my 748 is comfortable riding is the track.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You might consider what else you will use this bike for. If it is strictly for commuting and you must have a Ducati I'd consider a ST as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
...A Commuter Bike is What You Make of it!!!

Here's my $.02 for free...

I commute on an '07 1098S (52 miles round trip).

Before that, an '05 999...

Before that, always Ducati's, all the way back to 1995 on my '95 916. (Before that, it was a GSXR 750)

I did get stranded several times on the old 916 due to bad voltage regulators, but other than that, other than a nail or an odd screw in a tire here and there (problems not specific to Ducati's), all has been well...

I always carry an emergency tire patch kit in my backpack, just in case.

FWIW,

HORNETDRIVER

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think they are a few people on here that commute with a Ducati. However, the 748 is not really a great commuting bike. If you must have a Ducati and are going to use it for commuting how about a Monster or Multistrada. They will give you a more upright seating position and will be much more comfortable. About the only place my 748 is comfortable riding is the track.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Since you are 21 I am guessing you could care less about the comfort. I ride about 20 miles round trip a day (I'm 28). You can do it, but be ready for the maintenance. You will spend less on the 848 for maintenance bc of the design of the bike as compared to a 748. If you can take care of the oil changes and basic stuff, and all you really need to do is pay for the 6000 mile intervals, I say do it. That is what I am doing at the moment, and on a 749 no less (not much cheaper than the 748). As far as the insurance goes, there is a type of financing that allows you to not have full coverage (can't remember the name of it), but my buddy has it on his GSXR-1000 that he bought brand new from Suzuki. If you have to pay full coverage on it you are looking at around 3000 to 4000 a year from what I have seen, it is pretty crazy. If you can get away with liability and theft it will run you around 60 maybe. I have liability plus theft and I pay 43 a month, but I am 28. That 25 hump helps a lot with insurance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THe salesmen told me that ducati is offering 50% off maintenance if you buy a new ducati. So im sure that is good but is there a catch? He also said that the 848 would be awesome for a travel bike. Keep in mind this dealership had more than ducati for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well, I believe he is wording it in such a way to make you get all giddy. What he probably means is that the new bikes 848/1098 COST 50% less in labor cost as compared to the previous series XX9 bikes. If they are offering 50% off the already cheaper labor for the new series bikes, it is a good deal. But I doubt it. Get them to throw in the first 6K mile service for free and you have a great deal if you get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok. the store had signs up saying 50% off! he also said taking care of the bike would be at or a little less than a jap bike. ???? i dont know.

O has anyone done the new deal with paying 179 a month and I think its 1300 down... Sounds like a really good deal

·
Registered
285 Posts
How much will you pay for the 748? In california you could get a nice one for 5 to 6K. That's a lot less than $14 large, and the $8K you save would pay for an awful lot of maintenance. Also, a set of heli-bars makes them much more comfortable, and the insurance would be a lot lower. Finally, 6K maintenance is a guideline, not a rule. The bike will not self-destruct at 6001 miles. My '99 ST4 gets serviced (by me) every 6K miles, and every time I do it I wonder what the heck I am wasting my money on. (It has 51K miles as of this morning for reference...)

·
Registered
227 Posts
....commuting on a duc like the 8/9s/10s is not quite comfortable and you are putting just plane stupid miles on it....sorry for the espression!! you are going to flat the tires no matter how many twisties you hit your tires will go flat and eventually it will handle like crap.

Additionally unless you can do your own service which some of us do you are just going to give money to your dealer.

Said that, the 8s seiries is a royal pain in the ass to commute on. The vavle adj is every 6K and I think the belts are the same.

The 9s series is a lot better since the valve clearance has a wider tollerance than the 8s and it a just plane better bike.

In a nutshell, what you save on the 8s you will pay it in parts and labor and overall pain.

If you want a duc for commuting look at a HM. If you are still wanting a duc supersport then I say get an 848, it is comparable to a 600 in terms for power, the clutch is wet so very low maintance and service has been stretched out to like 12K or so......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts