Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replacing the stock triple clamp with aftermarket offset (podium racing). going ok so far, but having problems removing stock upper and lower bearing assemblies from frame shaft.

i've searched the forum/web a bit and can't seem to find any guidance.

thanks for any tips!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
If you remove the damper assembly, the stock upper has 3 bolts, 1 on each fork and the center pinch bolt. It should just pop off once you've loosen the 3 bolts. Remove the center nut using the tool that come with the triple.

Remove the upper bearing, the bottom should just drop down. The lower bearing race on the stem will be difficult to take off. You'll have to buy a new bearing set and the lower dust seal. I tried many times but seem to get damage all the times, just replace it and save yourself the headache.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right!

i agree the race (upper and lower) are difficult to take out. i already have the replacement bearings, just need to get old ones out. how did you do it (even if damaging them) - hammer?

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I missed understood your PM.

The races on the frame can be hammer out with a long puncher. Installing new races you need special tool. You can hammer it back it but risk of damaging surrounding. I never had to replace it my are in good condition I just replace the piece on the stem.

·
9,757 Posts
To get the old races out just tap them with a dowel and hammer (be sure to tap around the circumference, not just one spot, or they'll get stuck).

To put new races in (I hope you went with tapered bearings), just stick them in the freezer to shrink 'em a bit, then lightly tap them in with a plastic mallet (again, avoid hitting in one spot, or they'll never go in, or get stuck).

I never used a special tool.

ps, stick the new lower triple in the freezer too, and then grease the stem up a bit, and tap the new bearing inner/cage on the same way. No special tool needed here either if you're careful and patient (many light taps are the key). Also, don't forget to put the dust seal on first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

got 'em out with the tapping method.

gonna use the freezer trick to get the new ones in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts