Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased this 2001 to Ducati 900 super sport, with 9,222 miles,I am needing to locate a fuel gas tank. The gas tank has a lot of rust inside and I don't know if it's repairable,it does have several small pinholes in the tank. I am located in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Tx area.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Could find one on Ebay, might as well spend your wait time on your carbs, no gas, no go. Carbs need to be in good working order. Check spark plugs and change them while you are there. Change belts on principle, change oil & filter.
If you feel you are not up to the tasks, have a Ducati mechanic go through the bike. Accidents are painful....

Fred

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fred - 2001 is EFI

red2blk - I am sure US members will chime in, but try Wounded Duc.
There is a sticky at the top of this forum about tanks like yours.
Many opinions!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Depending on how bad the rust is will mean alot--some very small pin holes can be repaired, you could get a tank lining kit like the one from Por15 it is supposed to fill and stop leaks from small pin holes--the thing to remember is using the cleaner could just eat the bottom of the tank out if it is that bad. but if not you may be able to salvage the tank. If the tank is prepped properly & the liner as well is done correctly it can be a good solid repair.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I used to recommend Por-15 for steel tanks as it was a good looking product and not as toxic to apply. About 5-10 years ago I started seeing failures of tanks that were done years prior so it looks as though the ethanol is getting under the coating and lifting it. I no longer recommend the product due to too many failures from multiple installers who do it for a living and had a good tack record of coating tanks for decades with multiple products.

These days I would always recommend a strip and clean without a coating if you have pin holes I would look for a new tank first and if not available I would have the tank repaired with metal (brazing, patches etc) and again not coated. If you want to try coating I have seen the best results so far with caswell's epoxy but there have been failures there as well just fewer of them. If you have ever had to try and remove a failed coating you will understand why I no longer advocate for coatings and avoid all coatings . Only use them as a last resort.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I wouldn’t be afraid to use a good sealer in the tank and use it until I found a better one.
Do your best prep and go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts