Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, new memeber here. And a new Ducati owner as well. I've been riding my Suzuki GSXR600 for a few years now and now I made the leap and got into the Ducatis. I picked up a 08 Ducati 1098S in red. Now granted the bike has a bigger motor than the Jap inline 4. But my bike is shaking/vibrating pretty hard when riding and at idle. I feel like I'm riding a sewing machine. Also the exhaust sounds like a go cart, is this all normal? No one else rides ducati's around me so I have no other bikes to judge to see if mines a dud. And the acceleration isn't what I would expect either...Please help

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
RPM needs to be kept up above the 3500-4000 RPM range on most ducatis so you'll be riding in a lower gear than you're used to from an in-line 4. The ducatis are also generally geared too tall from the factory. Drop one tooth on your counter shaft sprocket and you'll be good to go. :)

As for acceleration, it all starts happening above 4000 RPM and hard core at 6000 RPM and above.

·
9,757 Posts
The harder it vibrates the more power you're making. You should really feel like you're riding a soil compactor. I'd say sewing machine is pretty weak. You should prolly get that checked out.

And the reason your exhaust sounds like a go-kart is because the ducati v-twin is actually made from two go-kart singles.

Troll.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anything below 4000rpms and the bike feels like it's gonna fall apart. To cure this get a 520 conversion kit. This should more than fix that rumbling your not used to. Plus you will have that acceleration your used to on your gixxer, much quicker throttle response.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Lol, you guys are funny!

Ak, the direct answer is that in order to make a high horsepower V-twin come anywhere even close to passing emissions laws, the motor needs to be severely de-tuned from the factory. Especially between idle-4k rpm.

You can ask your local Ducati dealership to adjust the bike to help out with the lean-fuel problem in that area. It helps, but in order to truly smooth is out, you need slip-ons, a Ducati Performance ECU, and a power commander to smooth out the mapping.

You can re-gear it, but personally I think the 1098/1198's are geared pretty perfectly from the factory. It's the fueling map that needs to be optimised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts