Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a 999 that my girlfriend dropped the SECOND DAY it came in!!! What the hell. Im not mad at her, but the tipover cracked at the weak point of the left mid fairing. I've tried gorrilla epoxy glue, had my painter professionally put it back together and respray, and NO luck! The thing came right apart within a day or two with both methods. I realize this is a stressed part of the fairing, so does anyone have an idea how I could fix this? I was thinking about using fiberglass cloth and resin, which I have, but I'm not ready to try that until I have a better idea of what to do. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
from jim in jersey

had some experience reppaiiring funny car bodies between rounds they too get stressed before your next repair regardless off the method take a small drill bit and drill the crack st its ending point this relieves the stress in the glass or plastic

·
Registered
123 Posts
can u reinforce from behind?

use metal strips or something to hold the pieces to gether

either by gluing the strips to the fairing.. or riveting it on and bondo/painting over it

or fiberglass and metal strips

try doing all teh structural work from behind..and cosmetic from top

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
had some experience reppaiiring funny car bodies between rounds they too get stressed before your next repair regardless off the method take a small drill bit and drill the crack st its ending point this relieves the stress in the glass or plastic
This stops growing cracks, but looks like this is broken right through, and the parts keep separating. Try a glue specific to the type of plastic the fairing is made of, I think gorilla expoxy isn't meant for plastic - though if you've already tried it, plastic cement may not work anymore. Failing that, I'd try to build up the back somehow, but I don't think fiberglass will work for this - maybe a solid piece of thick plastic glued down (with the right glue) on both sides after through paint removal.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
there is specific epoxys for repair of ridgid plastic parts.3m,fusior and sem to name a few.check with a local body shop or jobber .both can give you the rundown on the repair process

·
Registered
270 Posts
2 tabs broke on my cf panels on my R so I bought a tube of Solarez and used 3 layers of fiberglass window screen material and it came out perfect!
Google Solarez and it does not harden in the shade, takes about 3 minutes to set in the sun. I'm not trying to sell this product but having used it I KNOW it works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies everyone. I really appreciate it. You can only imagine how I feel right now though. The bike is FLAWLESS except for that crack. It's just horrible. Any more ideas for reenforcing the back?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts