Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some help since I've received conflicting advice from two dealerships. Hopefully someone on this board has personal experience. I'd like to install a Termignoni slip-on 2 into 2 exhaust.

Since I'm only installing the slip-on and leaving everything else stock (at least for the time being) can I use the stock ECU? One dealer stated that they would have to flash the stock ECU for a flat $400. A second dealer said as long as I wasn't racing or tracking the bike, the slip-on would work fine with the stock ECU.

Has anyone run a Termignoni slip-on with the stock ECU?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 796 or the termi pipes, but generally, it's okay to run modern bikes with a slip on and no ecu tuning.

The O2 sensors will make up for the lean condition created by the added flow, to a point. Above a certain rpm and at WOT, the ECU stops relying on the sensors to give feedback on the air/fuel mixture, and reverts to an open loop program. This part of the ECU mapping will NOT adapt to your new pipes. However, like the tech said, unless you are spending a lot of time at WOT or high rpms, it will be relatively safe for the motor (not too lean). Not ideal from a performance perspective, but safe.

If you go any further with mods (pods, headers, cams, etc) you definitely should start looking at an engine remap.

I'd recommend running the pipes as-is and then having it properly tuned later, if just to see the difference in rideability that a tune can give you!

Btw, my dealer does rexxer flashes and offers a reduced rate to have the ECU reflashed if you changed your setup once you have the initial tune.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
With the baffles in, you will be plenty fine using the stock ECU. It provides plenty of back pressure similar to stock exhaust. If you take out the baffles, you are going to lean it out quite a bit. The slip-ons come with a replacement ECU. I'm guessing you bought used and didn't get the ECU with.

Ride it for a while and pull the spark plugs. They will tell you if you are too lean.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If I've learned anything from my tuning adventures - it's that the factory tune isn't perfect to begin with. By adding the pipe it might change slightly, but there's really no way of knowing. In general, it's best to go with a tune to ensure you aren't running too lean. At $400 it better be a custom tune either on the street or dyno, on individual cylinders.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I definitely recommend a tune and a rapid bike system or or reflash, even with only a slip on. You wont believe the difference in rideability n power delivery. Makes the bike much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you bought used and didn't get the ECU with.
I haven't bought an exhaust yet, but all of the Termignoni's that are on ebay and shipped from Italy do not include the ECU or air filter. The couple of places where I found the complete system in the USA is close to $2,000.00 vs. $700.00 on ebay without the ECU. Not many options for this model unfortunately.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Youre fine dude. Especially keeping the restrictive cat on. It would help to send the ECU out down the road but you'll have no problem riding many many miles with your setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts