Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the primary drive gear (999R)? According to the service manual, the clutch housing and primary drive gear come out together but mine doesn't.

The gear seems to be retained by a ring.

This is what mine looks like:

This is the manual. Notice the gear is attached to the back of the clutch housing.:

This is the 'ring' that's holding it in:

Help?!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Jason,

That ring is a spacer for the clutch. You can pull it out by hand. It has a small rubber seal at the end (the inside which you can't see right now) which could make it harder to pull out. The primary gear is indeed lose and you can get it out by hand also. Just give it a good pull!

Now that you have the clutch cover off, you can send it to a shop to make a vented one from it!

Dennie
PS. Are you chaning the ratio of it? It has an 59T now.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennie, so just grab by hand and pull? Seems really tight!

I'm installing a Factory Pro shift kit.

Tell me more about the different ratios.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yes, just pull it! You can use a pliers but add a towel in between.

I know the 749R has different gears (lightened up with holes), just like the RS and Factory bikes. I asked a question about these gears, but the advice was don't do it, unless I change the hole gearbox to an RS one (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/131193-999rs-corse-primary-gear.html). I also found out that the RS gears a bit smaller than the street gears. When by bike needs a service at 12000km I will let my shop lightened my gears.

If I were you, I would send your clutch cover to a shop that can make it a vented one. I paid about 50 euros for mine. It looks very cool!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'm interested to see how the Factory Pro kit works out. Keep us in the loop...
+1 on what Dennie said, my service manual doesn't say much regarding the gear needing a special puller. You can try one though to get it moving. They should pull right off though...
Heck with getting your cover vented, buy a magnesium version while they are still available!:D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Original plan was just new clutch plate (because mine were slipping badly) and the Factory shift kit.

But once I opened it up the OEM basket was really beat up.

So I ordered an EVR 48T basket & organic plates kit. Being a purely street bike Anthony recommended that run organic plates instead of sintered.

EVR Ducati 48T Aluminum Clutch Basket and Complete Sintered Plate Set from R200-210-220 from Clutch

LT of Desotimes was cool to let me return the Surflex plates that I had already ordered a few weeks ago.

What's everyone's thoughts and experiences with a lightened clutch hub/drum? Specifically, the NGR unit sold by Motowheels?
Does it make a noticeable difference?

NGR Billet Clutch Drum

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't think you will notice the differences in weight. At least I couldn’t when I changed my OEM clutch to the Corse slipper. I could feel the weight differences when holding both clutches in my hand, but not when riding my bike.

Did you managed to get the primary gear lose?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you will notice the differences in weight. At least I couldn’t when I changed my OEM clutch to the Corse slipper. I could feel the weight differences when holding both clutches in my hand, but not when riding my bike.

Did you managed to get the primary gear lose?
No not yet. I wore grippy latex gloves and couldn't grap hold of it. Did you just pulled yours off, just like that?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update,

I got the gear off by installing 2 bolts for the clutch basket onto the gear and grabbing the bolts to pull the gear off.

ZDM,

Below are pictures of the Factory Pro shift kit vs OEM. The Factory Pro kit has bearings which seems to roll very smoothly in hands. OEM doesn't have the bearings and does seem to have noticeable friction even with oil. Factory Pro roller unit is also bigger in diameter.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Original plan was just new clutch plate (because mine were slipping badly) and the Factory shift kit.

But once I opened it up the OEM basket was really beat up.

So I ordered an EVR 48T basket & organic plates kit. Being a purely street bike Anthony recommended that run organic plates instead of sintered.

EVR Ducati 48T Aluminum Clutch Basket and Complete Sintered Plate Set from R200-210-220 from Clutch

LT of Desotimes was cool to let me return the Surflex plates that I had already ordered a few weeks ago.

What's everyone's thoughts and experiences with a lightened clutch hub/drum? Specifically, the NGR unit sold by Motowheels?
Does it make a noticeable difference?

NGR Billet Clutch Drum
Most noticable difference will be - with a new drum and plates - your clutch will be SILENT.... at least for a hundred miles or so, even then it wont be quite as resonant as a steel drum etc? The difference is staggering!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts