Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problems with the removal and I do not foresee any with the install but I do have a couple of questions. In the pic the stator is missing the metal on the inside ( check the top and in pic 2 the bottom) , looks to be rubbed away. What could have caused this? I removed the stator because I was getting very low readings and I could not keep a charge. Is there anything I should look for when reinstalling? Clearance? Or any other issues? Also what type of sealant would you recommend when installing the case cover back on the bike? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor case bearings can cause that problem... its fairly common to see it worn like that. Last motor I worked on, it was worn so much, the coil was literally cut and not functioning properly. It did turn out to be case bearings...

Thanks, I will check bearings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news, the stator I took out was not rubbing. The new stator I purchased (Brand new OE) had the same "wear" look to it, installed stator and it is working great. Electrical complete, new stator, 10 gauge wire (all of it) new reg and relocated for more air flow, and a new lighter battery. I am good to go, the only thing I am thinking of installing is a volt meter so I can keep an eye on my charging system.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What kind of sealant did you use when putting the case back on? I've had good luck with Yamabond on other bikes, but not so great on my Ducati.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of sealant did you use when putting the case back on? I've had good luck with Yamabond on other bikes, but not so great on my Ducati.
I use the ULTRA GRAY made by permatex, good stuff with no leaks.

Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. Designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines, this premium RTV gasket maker exceeds manufacturers' performance requirements. Noncorrosive and low-odor. Maximum vibration resistance, with outstanding resistance to oils, cooling and shop fluids. Guaranteed not to leak. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got a volt meter from Rider Warehouse. DesmoTimes sells them also. They are trick little units that also show ambient temperature and the time. I've been using it for several months, and so far its held up. It velcro's about anywhere and wires up simply.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts