Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
DP clutch with Barnett basket is what I just put on my bike you could call Gregg at 248-347-9638 and order what you need from him he has been working on Duc's for about 30+ yrs great guy to know and a ton of info in his head that he will share with you!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks Curveman99 fro the reply. I may indeed opt for your suggestion.

I was hoping I might be able to pick up an aluminuium clutch from a later market bike that someone had swapped out to something fancier. Does anyoone know if the aluminium clutch basket from a 999 will fit on a carburetted 91-99 900SS?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Can any one tell me what model Ducati oem aluminum clutch baskets will fit into a 97 SS without having to touch the hub?
I think any Ducati dry clutch basket will work, but I'd check with a dealer anyway about the 999 basket. You do have to remove the hub to remove the basket.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Stock basket= 3.5 lbs
Barnett basket= 13 oz
Thanks, that is a hell of a wait saving. I am guessing the 3.5lbs is for a stock steel basket rather than a stock alloy one. Anyone know what a stock 999 alloy basket ways?

If I switch to a 999 Alloy basket, I know I will need alloy plate kit but will I also need to swap the 900 SS hub for the 999 hub?

·
Registered
16,910 Posts

NGR Billet Clutch Basket

This is the best clutch basket we have used in many years. Lighter than most other baskets and made of very durable 7000 series aluminum. And it is only $169 right now.

Aluminum basket and aluminum friction plates will reduce the noise over stock steel baskets and drop a lot of rotational weight as well.

-M

·
Registered
421 Posts

NGR Billet Clutch Basket

This is the best clutch basket we have used in many years. Lighter than most other baskets and made of very durable 7000 series aluminum. And it is only $169 right now.

Aluminum basket and aluminum friction plates will reduce the noise over stock steel baskets and drop a lot of rotational weight as well.

-M
Thanks Moto, I have seen the NGR ones before and they were on our list of options. The quietness is probably more of interest to me than loosing weight as I will probably get rid of most of the rotating weight I want to off this bike by machining the stock flywheel down (We have a big machine lathe in our workshop so the only cost to do this will be labour).

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I bought a poorly maintained 92 SS that was impossible to ride smoothly. Ordered OEM frictions but had a trip before they arrived. Cleaned frictions with brake cleaner, bead blasted the steels, put it back together. 1500 miles later still haven't put the new frictions in. Waiting for some noise or grabbing but still good. Might not be correct but worked so far.

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
We have a big machine lathe in our workshop so the only cost to do this will be labour.
Lucky you...;).

If you order from us, request US Post. Shipping is much better that way.
Our current website shipping estimater is based on UPS which is much higher--but we ship via lowest price carrier and then credit any savings back to your card.

-M

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I like the clutch rattle, but mine, too, got too loud, especially with the open cover. I replaced my plates with Barnett and have had no problems. I think the difference in price of the different Barnett clutches may be stack height,and hence= more or less plates in the kit. The proper kit will have a "wavy" plate in it. I compressed this plate with my clutch stack and measured stack height. I had to use some of my old driven plates to get correct height. (instead of the Barnett) The friction plates supplied were alum., the driven plates steel. Using any alum. plate will quiet things down a little, as they don't "ring" like steel. Put one of your old friction plates in first, then your clutch stack. This , too quiets things a little. Don't worry though, it'll still rattle enough to scare little old ladies on the sidewalk, no matter what you do.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
After some searching I found this thread, rather than start a new one.

Looks like there is a thumbs up for the Barnett basket with steel (stainless?) inserts for hardness, but light weight.

My hub is stuffed as well, so looking for options. Gotham have an OEM hub for around 150. My steel plates (third set) are in excellent condition, so don't really want to fork out for new plates as well.

Problem here in Australia is shipping from the US - quite expensive.

Anyone know where I could get both Barnett basket and OEM or alternative hub that would work well with steel plates? I.e. one source and one delivery charge.

I have seen the NGR hub as well, but the problem for me is sourcing "good" stuff from one place.

I would not even mind OEM hub and basket, even slightly used, if someone has gone all out and "parked" their's in favour of lighter kit.

Richard

·
Registered
421 Posts
After some searching I found this thread, rather than start a new one.

Looks like there is a thumbs up for the Barnett basket with steel (stainless?) inserts for hardness, but light weight.

My hub is stuffed as well, so looking for options. Gotham have an OEM hub for around 150. My steel plates (third set) are in excellent condition, so don't really want to fork out for new plates as well.

Problem here in Australia is shipping from the US - quite expensive.

Anyone know where I could get both Barnett basket and OEM or alternative hub that would work well with steel plates? I.e. one source and one delivery charge.

I have seen the NGR hub as well, but the problem for me is sourcing "good" stuff from one place.

I would not even mind OEM hub and basket, even slightly used, if someone has gone all out and "parked" their's in favour of lighter kit.

Richard
We ship a lot of the NGR stuff to Australia. Shipping costs form NZ to Australia are as cheap as shipping across Australia and we don't charge sales tax to Australian customers. Pricing and freight are listed in Australian dollars on our web site. The NGR hubs are hard anodised Ergal and wear extremely well but we only recommend that you use NGR or Ducati OEM alloy plate sets with them.

I have just fitted the NGR Slipper clutch to my 900SS. I felt because we sell them that I should have one on my bike for marketing reasons. After all no point in a slipper clutch on a mile mannered 900SS....It's now never coming out! I love how much more engine braking I can USE with this.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
We ship a lot of the NGR stuff to Australia. Shipping costs form NZ to Australia are as cheap as shipping across Australia and we don't charge sales tax to Australian customers. Pricing and freight are listed in Australian dollars on our web site. The NGR hubs are hard anodised Ergal and wear extremely well but we only recommend that you use NGR or Ducati OEM alloy plate sets with them.

I have just fitted the NGR Slipper clutch to my 900SS. I felt because we sell them that I should have one on my bike for marketing reasons. After all no point in a slipper clutch on a mile mannered 900SS....It's now never coming out! I love how much more engine braking I can USE with this.
Thanks for the info. I don't need a slipper clutch for the way this bike gets ridden now. I just need to sort it at a sensible price. For those who want to know, the web site is fastbikegear.co.nz then go to Ducati specific stuff.

Richard

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I bought the Evoluzione alloy basket to use with the Barnett plates. The engagement slots in the basket were too tight too allow free movement of the plates. Barnett rep told me their plates are made to Ducati blueprint, so I do not see why they were too tight. I just suggest not to use this combo. Barnett clutch still works fine, easy to modulate. I am still pleased and recommend. I do not race, though, so I cannot say how much race abuse it might take.

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Complete clutch compatibility question

As per an earlier post, I need a new basket and hub for my 01 900SSie.

There are quite a few 1X98 and other complete kits kicking around as I guess the SBK and other guys move to slippers.

My question is - will an 1X98 hub, basket fit and work in a 900SSie?

Anyone know if they fit and what parts, apart from the worn hub and basket are needed to make them work?

Richard

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Sorry guys - bumping this as I would like to get some info as to whether or not the 1098/1198 hub will work in my 2001 900SSie.

From what I have read the basket works across most models, so it is just a hub question.

Richard

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sorry guys - bumping this as I would like to get some info as to whether or not the 1098/1198 hub will work in my 2001 900SSie.

From what I have read the basket works across most models, so it is just a hub question.

Richard
Richard the later model hubs from the 1098 and 1198 are deeper to allow them to accommodate one extra friction and one extra drive plate. I normally set the clutch pack height to 38.5mm on the early hubs and 41-42mm on the later hubs. I can't see why you can't use them on the earlier bikes but you will need to use extra clutch plates. I can supply the single friction and drive plates separately and I can also have light weight ergal (7075-T6) hubs in stock which are 1 pound lighter than the standard hubs. (massive difference in rotating weight)

From memory you r are in Australia so shipping so shipping is less than $12

·
Excel Addict
5,082 Posts
Richard the later model hubs from the 1098 and 1198 are deeper to allow them to accommodate one extra friction and one extra drive plate. I normally set the clutch pack height to 38.5mm on the early hubs and 41-42mm on the later hubs. I can't see why you can't use them on the earlier bikes but you will need to use extra clutch plates. I can supply the single friction and drive plates separately and I can also have light weight ergal (7075-T6) hubs in stock which are 1 pound lighter than the standard hubs. (massive difference in rotating weight)

From memory you r are in Australia so shipping so shipping is less than $12
Thanks for the info. As it happens, I have a brand new set of Newfren plates for the 1098/1198. I did measure them and they are thinner than my stock ones.

I will need to do some more research on my stock basket holding nut and pushrod to work out if it is a goer or not.

Yes I am in Oz.

Richard

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the info. As it happens, I have a brand new set of Newfren plates for the 1098/1198. I did measure them and they are thinner than my stock ones.

I will need to do some more research on my stock basket holding nut and pushrod to work out if it is a goer or not.

Yes I am in Oz.

Richard
The nut shouldn't change because you will still be using the same clutch centre shaft. so you will use your original nut. Good point on the push rod. The later push rods were a different length. The need for the different length rod (about 10mm) was mostly to accommodate the different position and type of clutch slave cylinder used on later bikes. If you use your original push rod I suspect i anything you may only need a 2.5 to 3mm longer push rod to accommodate for the deeper hub of the later bikes. The simple way to achieve this is to insert a short rod of 2.5 to 3mm inside the slave cylinder. When you fit a later model slave cylinder to an early model bike you either stick in a short 10mm rod or some people even insert a ball bearing into the slave cylinder.

21 - 40 of 131 Posts