Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Acerbis Rear auxillary fuel tank and planning to install on my hyper on the rear rack. Need it for touring. Adds around 6Liters of fuel. Does anyone of you have installed this before on their bike. I dont know how to connect the fuel line of this auxillary tank with the tank of the bike. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The closest setup I saw on picture was from a Hyper owner who was at the Ducati.ms East Cost Meeting 2 or years ago.
He had an extra tank hidden in the rear DP bag on the DP rear rack.

You should email CAlexio to find out who is this member.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe the fuel pump in the tank pressurizes the tank to get the proper fuel pressure for the injectors. I don't think you can just T into the outlet of the pump. You would probably have to just transfer the extra fuel into the tank when the stock tank emptied. So any regular fuel jug would do the same thing for less money.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I'm with Jimbo. I'm doing an extended trip and am using a fuel container to top up the tank and a siphon hose as an emergency tactic to steal fuel from my mates on the road if needed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
the pump in the tank does not pressurize the tank it does pressurize the fuel lines and fuel rail. If it pressurized the whole tank anyone who has removed the evap. canister would have fuel pouring out the vent hose. What you will need to do if you want to run the auxiliary tank in parallel is go to the vent hose for the evap canister, if you still have the ugly canister on your bike remove it. run the hose from the acerbis tank to the vent on the hyper tank, as the hyper tank drains it will pull fuel from the aux. tank. the aux. tanks vent will become the main tank vent when the aux tank is empty. remember though if you have fuel in the aux tank and take off the gas cap on the main tank the aux tank will drain out by gravity all over the top of the bike, and when fueling you must fill hyper tank, cap it then fill aux tank. I hope this makes sence, if you have any ????'s pm me. I have a buddy who uses a simular setup on his cr250 but his aux. tank is where the the front # plate normally resides which won't work on the hyper without losing the headlight. His aux tank runs into the vent on the fuel tank cap. and vents through the aux tanks vent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pump in the tank does not pressurize the tank it does pressurize the fuel lines and fuel rail. If it pressurized the whole tank anyone who has removed the evap. canister would have fuel pouring out the vent hose. What you will need to do if you want to run the auxiliary tank in parallel is go to the vent hose for the evap canister, if you still have the ugly canister on your bike remove it. run the hose from the acerbis tank to the vent on the hyper tank, as the hyper tank drains it will pull fuel from the aux. tank. the aux. tanks vent will become the main tank vent when the aux tank is empty. remember though if you have fuel in the aux tank and take off the gas cap on the main tank the aux tank will drain out by gravity all over the top of the bike, and when fueling you must fill hyper tank, cap it then fill aux tank. I hope this makes sence, if you have any ????'s pm me. I have a buddy who uses a simular setup on his cr250 but his aux. tank is where the the front # plate normally resides which won't work on the hyper without losing the headlight. His aux tank runs into the vent on the fuel tank cap. and vents through the aux tanks vent.
Will it not affect anything if I remove the evap canister?
On the set up you are saying, There is a valve on the auxillary tank so basically I can keep it close untill I see that my fuel is getting low and thats the only time I will open the aux tank valve then fuel will flow through the hypers fuel vent.

I have another option which is connecting the Aux fuel line directly to the hypers tanks IN/OUT fuel line hoses connected to a flange underneath the tank on the rear side. The auxillary tank came with T connection and hose and Ideally thats the only place it can be connected. The question is, Is it safe to connect it there? And where should I connect it, IN or OUT?

·
Registered
144 Posts
What I would do is use a temporary racing fuel cap and tap a 90 degree fitting into the top of that with a tube back to your spare tank. When the reserve light comes on, use an electric pump to move the fluid over.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I knew this tank, its good but It will be a big job to do. I just want the Aux tank for back up fuel.
It is not a big deal to install. It would take an hour or so to get it installed.
There are 4 videos on youtube for the tank install, very well made and clear videos.

For your setup, I wouldnt bother connecting the extra fuel tank to the main tank.
Just use whatever is in the extra tank when the main one comes dry.

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
The closest setup I saw on picture was from a Hyper owner who was at the Ducati.ms East Cost Meeting 2 or years ago.
He had an extra tank hidden in the rear DP bag on the DP rear rack.

You should email CAlexio to find out who is this member.
You mean this one?

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want a quick disconnect look at colder.com. They make quick changes for off road motorcycles.

I did something similar on a 1978 Suzuki GS1000 and wound up with gas all over my crouch from not accounting for gravity! I guess now the caps would prevent that.
Michael

·
Registered
309 Posts
Will it not affect anything if I remove the evap canister?
On the set up you are saying, There is a valve on the auxillary tank so basically I can keep it close untill I see that my fuel is getting low and thats the only time I will open the aux tank valve then fuel will flow through the hypers fuel vent.

I have another option which is connecting the Aux fuel line directly to the hypers tanks IN/OUT fuel line hoses connected to a flange underneath the tank on the rear side. The auxillary tank came with T connection and hose and Ideally thats the only place it can be connected. The question is, Is it safe to connect it there? And where should I connect it, IN or OUT?
It'll affect something the bike will be lighter and slightly smoother at lower rpms. You would have to leave the valve on the way I was sugesting or the tank wont have any way to vent. do not t into the fuel lines below the tank they are under pressure from the fuel pump one is supply to the injectors the other is return for un used fuel if you t into these you will probably pressurise your aux tank and blow fuel out the vent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, that picture indeed !
Thank you.
Ive seen this in Pashnit Website, a group of riders who tour most of the time. Maybe some of you know them. The guy had put the Tank at the rear. Im still guessing how he did the connection to the tank. How I wish I can contact the hyper owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Drain the tank, pull out the fuel pump assembly ,get a through tank connection at the hardware store. Drill hole, reach in through fuel pump hole snd install the connection/fitting, put pump back in. mount or hide fuel tank, run line between it and the fitting you installed. and ur in. If you zoom in on the pic. you can see the connection on the side of the tank and there's a lil red knob I assume is the fuel valve. on the frame. with a valve here you could actually make the tank removable, when not on the bike valve is closed and the main tank works like normal. Just be careful when aux tank is gone that the valve stays shut or you could leak all over a hot cat/2 to 1 pipe or rear cylinder header. Any way you look at this would make for one hot ride!!! :) Actually wouldn't take very long and the tank can stay in place. As well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts