Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have all the parts I need outside of a torque adapter which I know where to find and the rest of the consumables to rebuild my 749 ...

I am at the point where I need to put everything back together and I need to know what O-rings and gaskets one MUST change. Please note that the entire engine is now in pieces. I have all the old gaskets and O-rings etc etc and as far as I can tell they all look in good shape

I am looking for a "shopping list" if you will of all the O-rings, gaskets, seals and other bits and pieces that I would need, to get this engine closed up properly. The difficulty that I am encountering is that I dont know what to get and what not to get ... Most of the O-rings look ok ... Do I need new ones ?
Head and base cyl gaskets look ok (ie not kinked not ripped or corroded) Can I reuse them ? should I ?

I have already spent alot of time just contemplating what I need and dont need only to find that I dont know or noone can tell me with certainty what I need and point me to a kit or list of part number or anything ... :eek: Frustration is growing ...

Dont get me wrong ... I dont mind spending money on stuff that makes sense and needs to be changed ... but i HATE it when I get something only to find out that the new part is no better than the old one I had and I just lost some time and money in the process ...

thanks,
Migrane.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey Migrane,
I can relate, it's all the little parts that cause me the most headache. Did you download a parts fiche for your bike? This is what I used to put my parts order together, I went through every page (of the motor, at least) and put a highlite pen to all the o-rings, crush washers, bearings, etc. that I wanted to replace. Most of these parts are around $1 a per, and the piece of mind is worth it for me to replace them, even if the old part looks fine. I made everything on the inside of the case a high priority, as I don't want to be splitting it again for a long time, but the things that can be accessed rather easily, like cam bearing, I just cleaned and inspected.

Regarding the head and base gaskets, that's a judgment call that you will have to make. I know the base gasket can be reused a couple of times, but the head I don't know. Mine(996) had a black coating over the metal that peeled off in places, and I wouldn't feel comfortable reusing them on such a critical area.

I'll say it again, the parts fiche is your friend, use this to make your parts order, check your parts order when it arrives, and finally to reassemble all the parts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Migrane,
I can relate, it's all the little parts that cause me the most headache. Did you download a parts fiche for your bike? This is what I used to put my parts order together, I went through every page (of the motor, at least) and put a highlite pen to all the o-rings, crush washers, bearings, etc. that I wanted to replace. Most of these parts are around $1 a per, and the piece of mind is worth it for me to replace them, even if the old part looks fine. I made everything on the inside of the case a high priority, as I don't want to be splitting it again for a long time, but the things that can be accessed rather easily, like cam bearing, I just cleaned and inspected.

Regarding the head and base gaskets, that's a judgment call that you will have to make. I know the base gasket can be reused a couple of times, but the head I don't know. Mine(996) had a black coating over the metal that peeled off in places, and I wouldn't feel comfortable reusing them on such a critical area.

I'll say it again, the parts fiche is your friend, use this to make your parts order, check your parts order when it arrives, and finally to reassemble all the parts.
Thanks for the tip. I got the parts fiche and I am going to go about it the same way. Whats inaccessible I will replace. What is I will just inspect clean and leave as is.

Thanks,
Migrane

1 - 3 of 3 Posts