Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm clueless when it comes to moto. But I came across a Ducati bike with about 13 thousand in customization into it and my buddy told me I could have it for $8000.

He told at one point with all the work put into it it was worth over 20. It has a custom redbull paint job and only have 250 miles on it. Can anyone help me?

Thanks kindly,

Mo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess what I'm asking is any info, what model, what they typically sell for, again... clueless.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,372 Posts
It's a 2005+ 999 or 749. Can't tell from the picture. Probably not even worth the $8k.

Things I can see that are negatives: forks don't have the TiN coating so they're most likely low-end, The cover behind the seat is missing, the paint job is not factory or anything that was even offered by the factory.

What the hell was the $13k spent on?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Looks like a Ducati 749. Cost about $1K at a dealer to make it roadworthy again unless it has been recently serviced and gotten new tires. Worth maybe $5K to the right buyer. It is a base model. Less power, less upscale suspension The customization looks largely cosmetic. Cosmetic customization generally doesn't increase the value because it is a matter of taste.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 2005+ 999 or 749. Can't tell from the picture. Probably not even worth the $8k.

Things I can see that are negatives: forks don't have the TiN coating so they're most likely low-end, The cover behind the seat is missing, the paint job is not factory or anything that was even offered by the factory.

What the hell was the $13k spent on?
No idea, I can get some more info next week. But he said he was 23k invested into it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a Ducati 749. Cost about $1K at a dealer to make it roadworthy again unless it has been recently serviced and gotten new tires. Worth maybe $5K to the right buyer. It is a base model. Less power, less upscale suspension The customization looks largely cosmetic. Cosmetic customization generally doesn't increase the value because it is a matter of taste.
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply guys.
He did say he made it super fast not sure if thats where the money went into it. again, I have no clue about bikes. Just thought it looked cool and maybe was a good deal to buy and sell.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
generally something like that is worth whatever a red one is worth minus the cost of making it red again. the cost to fully strip and repaint the frame would almost make it a write off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ask him for the title, it should give more info about model, year, etc. Also if it’s a rebuilt/salvage, as the others said parts are not original and at least the fork is worse than the original. Why would anyone do that?

if you don’t mind me asking: how much of a “friend” is this friend offering the bike? If it was an used car, would you buy it from him?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Another important point: if you’re buying to do a deal, consider how much time it will take you to sell it and research well the model, year and modifications done. Not many modifications add to the price when selling the bike.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I suppose it's possible your "buddy" put a chunk of that $13k into the motor, but based on that pic I'm seeing $2k at most on paint/decal/aesthetic work.
Oh, and then the exhaust as well, can't tell if it's slip on or full system..
Regardless, $13k sounds like quite the stretch

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Given the sticker on the bike I would contact Ducati Indianapolis and show them a picture, they would remember a custom bike like that if they know it.

I also would look at the front wheel to fairing fit, look a bit close and will get closer as you use travel. A customer of mine bought a ebay "almost finished" custom 999, it had a custom paint scheme, Ohlins forks, 999r carbon bodywork etc. It also had a bent frame so the front wheel hit the head if you went through 1/2 your suspension travel. It was missing the clutch and about everything removable under the left engine cover.

As always details matter ask your friend where the money went that is something most owners are proud to share.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Buying and selling old Ducatis when you’re clueless is a good way to go broke.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yeah, what they said. What he spent doesn't have jack to do with what it's worth now. Yellow frame? Red calipers? Looks like a Ronald McDonald bike to me. And "super fast" is relative. To someone who knows nothing about bikes I'm sure it would be. To someone who's riding a V4 whatever with 200+ HP, it's not. (That wouldn't be me BTW).

If it were a great deal he'd have an easy time selling it to someone who knows bikes, instead he's hyping it to someone who knows little about bikes.

That bike has never been worth $20K BTW.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Devil is in the details. Note the bike pictured is missing the small rear seat pad which features the Ducati logo. Although it really doesn't do much in the way of padding your butt, it is indicative of one of those small things you would have to replace. There goes another Franklin or so.
I adore my 05 999S Nero. A harsh mistress for sure. If you've got 8K burning a hole in your pocket, she can be yours. Whips and chains will be extra however.

·
Registered
251 Posts
no offense, but he doesn’t sound like a very good buddy. best to look, and then walk away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts