Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question isn't about my Duc, but should apply to all makes and types. I have an '84 Honda Ascot that has an oil leak. It leaks while it's sitting (not running), and will lose ~5 drops over night. I've cleaned the engine so it's nice and shiny to help see where it's coming from. I have been able to narrow it down to the lower left side of the engine, but can't pinpoint. I was thinking about dusting it with baby powder, but was wondering if there are tips or tricks others here have used. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I keep a can of spray deodorant with powder in the garage just for tracking down leaks.

I get the area real clean, whether it's with a lot of contact cleaner or just soapy water with a brush and a hose.

After it's all dry, shoot the suspect area with the deodorant and get a good dusting of the powder along all the seams and openings that could leak oil.

Then run it to see where the oil comes from.

Sometimes I have to do it twice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great idea. Spray would be a lot easier to direct to the spots I want to look at than baby powder.

I was actually expecting to get fat girl jokes in response to my question, so this is refreshing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a ghost oil leak on my monster. Afetr three trips to the shop they finally found the leak where the stator wires come thru the casing. Pretty common occurrence I guess.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a ghost oil leak on my monster. Afetr three trips to the shop they finally found the leak where the stator wires come thru the casing. Pretty common occurrence I guess.
That's a great suggestion. On the Ascot, those wires exit the cover on the top towards the rear. In my case they're dry though.

I've removed all the decorative covers, kick stand, accessories, etc. from the left side of the engine, and cleaned everything up again. It looks like this may be a combination of a couple of different small leaks. I've ordered new seals for the shift shaft, overdrive switch and a new o-ring for the water pump. Hopefully, one or a combination of these will solve the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tanactin athletes foot spray is what i use in the shop for finding leaks it turns white as it drys and oil will make a brown snail trail.
Is your Ascot a FT or a VT? I love the FT 500 singles for flat tracking.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
His sig line says it's the VT500, the shaft driven v-twin.

The same engine that grew into a 600/750 Shadow and the 650 Hawk.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Doh...i didn't think to look at his Sig for none Duc bikes....My list would be Way to long.........

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, guys. Yes, mine's the V-twin. Same engine as the Shadow that year, but surprisingly spunky.

I had removed and reinstalled the OD shaft seal since it seemed to be loose, and then sprayed with some Dr. Sholl's (didn't have Tinactin handy). No leaks have resurfaced, so maybe that was the culprit. I'll go ahead and replace all the seals when they arrive just to be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts