Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching a pending bike purchase.
I generally research things to death before I purchase...
in general....
I will try to give a decent but quick overview of me...
I do love safety...
I always covet the sportier special editions of everything...
I have never wheelied on the street... (with a street bike recently) Years ago? Dirtbikes? I was Evel Knievel.

Last bike was (What fit me) an M109. I scraped everything I could on that thing through the north GA mountains...
It wasn't what I wanted... I have since lost a lot of weight...

Now I can choose to ride anything.
I am calmer and much more mature now (56 yrs old)
But deep down inside every-time I start anything that burns gas deep inside I am still...
Ride it like you stole it
Evel Knievel
Speed Racer
and
Hot Rod Lincoln...

So, not matter what. Nothing gets bought without ABS because cagers suck.
BUT
Do I need...
Wheelie control?
Lean sensitive ABS?

Neither on the R...
I am contemplating older machines that will not even have any kind of traction control... I am fine with that closer to 100hp. Or just no rain...

Last thoughts.
Yeah, I cant wait to regain some, and improve other skills so that when I come out of a curve I can just lift that front wheel a little on acceleration...
Would love to be able to come around that turn with the back wheel spinning and sliding... One hand waving (just like in the pictures) but I have 3 grown kids... I think I can stop myself from trying to learn to do that...
I am not afraid... Just trying to be prudent.
Whew thats long.
I am not worried about any other tech specs that are different between them.

When you read or watch a review, Their balls clank and shut everything off.
What do you guys say?

Thanks in advance to all

Rex

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think the R model is intended more for track days, and read on here somewhere it has a longer fork and more ground clearance for said track days. You don't NEED the electronic nannies, but I know there have been a time or 3 in the past when ABS or traction control could have saved me and my bike from hitting the ground.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the R model is intended more for track days, and read on here somewhere it has a longer fork and more ground clearance for said track days. You don't NEED the electronic nannies, but I know there have been a time or 3 in the past when ABS or traction control could have saved me and my bike from hitting the ground.
Do you think they were specifically the Wheelie control? or the cornering ABS? that saved you?
I know the rear shock is longer. I was thinking of doing that (if it bolts right in) when I upgrade the rear spring. I am NOT 190lbs...
And... Thinner seat, lighter wheels, more HP depending on the year... BUT No Quick shifter and the 2 missing electronic gismo's

Rex

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My Monster is a '14 base model. Has DTC and ABS but no wheelie control or cornering ABS. I think those came in a year or 3 later. I have seen the light indicating DTC kicked in but did not feel any reduction power. That's about it.

Those features might have saved me some grief in the past on older bikes, but they did not have TC or ABS.
So I guess I am in favor of them, and typically you can turn them off if you want to.
I think I would go for the S, unless I was planning track days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also research the shit out of my next purchase. I’m 57 and want to do track days. Thinking about an old 2007 1098S. Cheap, not many electronic aids, and if it goes down, the low purchase price will not bring many tears....
But I really want an F4 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
The R has panache !! That its a special edition is what sold me on it. That and I bought used so all the nice things were done to it already. Blacked out Ohlins....super cool. Giant sewer pipe sized headers....super cool. Look at the headers compared to an S model. They're huge !! No quick shift ....didnt really care about it. The S is an awesome bike but I couldn't pass up on the chance to own an "R" model Ducati even if it is not as trick as the super bike R models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The R has panache !! That its a special edition is what sold me on it. That and I bought used so all the nice things were done to it already. Blacked out Ohlins....super cool. Giant sewer pipe sized headers....super cool. Look at the headers compared to an S model. They're huge !! No quick shift ....didnt really care about it. The S is an awesome bike but I couldn't pass up on the chance to own an "R" model Ducati even if it is not as trick as the super bike R models.
I am researching a pending bike purchase.
I generally research things to death before I purchase...
in general....
I will try to give a decent but quick overview of me...
I do love safety...
I always covet the sportier special editions of everything...
I have never wheelied on the street... (with a street bike recently) Years ago? Dirtbikes? I was Evel Knievel.

Last bike was (What fit me) an M109. I scraped everything I could on that thing through the north GA mountains...
It wasn't what I wanted... I have since lost a lot of weight...

Now I can choose to ride anything.
I am calmer and much more mature now (56 yrs old)
But deep down inside every-time I start anything that burns gas deep inside I am still...
Ride it like you stole it
Evel Knievel
Speed Racer
and
Hot Rod Lincoln...

So, not matter what. Nothing gets bought without ABS because cagers suck.
BUT
Do I need...
Wheelie control?
Lean sensitive ABS?

Neither on the R...
I am contemplating older machines that will not even have any kind of traction control... I am fine with that closer to 100hp. Or just no rain...

Last thoughts.
Yeah, I cant wait to regain some, and improve other skills so that when I come out of a curve I can just lift that front wheel a little on acceleration...
Would love to be able to come around that turn with the back wheel spinning and sliding... One hand waving (just like in the pictures) but I have 3 grown kids... I think I can stop myself from trying to learn to do that...
I am not afraid... Just trying to be prudent.
Whew thats long.
I am not worried about any other tech specs that are different between them.

When you read or watch a review, Their balls clank and shut everything off.
What do you guys say?

Thanks in advance to all

Rex
I owned a 15 1200S and traded in for 16 1200R. The 1200S is a good bike but if you are going to take it for some serious twisty mountain roads you will need to replace front springs. I weigh about 200 lbs without gear and front end would wallow around at aggressive riding. Especially in north ga mountains. I replace front springs and bike was good but it does not compare to 1200R . The R was perfect stock. It does sit higher in rear and front suspension it great. I did not have to change a thing. It would also be better bike for and track days. The ergos are about the same for both. I rode R all day and was comfortable. The 1200R is the one to get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I owned a 15 1200S and traded in for 16 1200R. The 1200S is a good bike but if you are going to take it for some serious twisty mountain roads you will need to replace front springs. I weigh about 200 lbs without gear and front end would wallow around at aggressive riding. Especially in north ga mountains. I replace front springs and bike was good but it does not compare to 1200R . The R was perfect stock. It does sit higher in rear and front suspension it great. I did not have to change a thing. It would also be better bike for and track days. The ergos are about the same for both. I rode R all day and was comfortable. The 1200R is the one to get.
You had me at "north ga mountains"
I am here in Cumming.
I was waiting till I was even lighter (Lost over 100lbs already sshh) i was going to wait till maybe i could re-spring only once...
But...
I smell spring...
I vacillate between may models (even non Ducati) but even within the Ducati's there are so many I would be happy to have. Especially since someone reminded me of
I cannot believe how similar all the monsters are. I can see so many online... but only sit, and maybe test what is local.
Yeah, I want an R... fast, beautiful, Exotic?? Rare??
But an 1100EVO... S4RS? Even the 821 in White... Or a 797...
I dont know... But I think these are bread to be ridden hard. I want to live (yes) but I also want to be able to wring it out...
Not just stay in the mid range because it is so powerful (that goes for me and the roads)

I do not know where I will land...
And I do appreciate ALL the input across the different forums...
I know I cannot wait!!
I have an old too big Jacket... old but new gloves... a Brand new Helmet (Christmas Present)
But I have over 30 links for new gear... (not even counting the tools) and 30 saved bikes on Cycletrader...

Grrrrrrrrrr
$$$$ lands in march....

thanks for everyone's input.
Keep it coming please.

Desmo749... I will certainly be in touch!

Rex

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK, I am not sure if I can post these but....
probably all I need. I am sure one of you buys it first... 41 miles??? can that be true?
1100 evo Anniversary?
That is a nice bike. I really like the 1100 air cooled motor. I love my Hyper 1100S. This looks like a pristine bike. I think the price is a little high. While it has low miles the belts will need to be changed because of age and maybe others fluids like brake...etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You had me at "north ga mountains"
I am here in Cumming.
I was waiting till I was even lighter (Lost over 100lbs already sshh) i was going to wait till maybe i could re-spring only once...
But...
I smell spring...
I vacillate between may models (even non Ducati) but even within the Ducati's there are so many I would be happy to have. Especially since someone reminded me of
I cannot believe how similar all the monsters are. I can see so many online... but only sit, and maybe test what is local.
Yeah, I want an R... fast, beautiful, Exotic?? Rare??
But an 1100EVO... S4RS? Even the 821 in White... Or a 797...
I dont know... But I think these are bread to be ridden hard. I want to live (yes) but I also want to be able to wring it out...
Not just stay in the mid range because it is so powerful (that goes for me and the roads)

I do not know where I will land...
And I do appreciate ALL the input across the different forums...
I know I cannot wait!!
I have an old too big Jacket... old but new gloves... a Brand new Helmet (Christmas Present)
But I have over 30 links for new gear... (not even counting the tools) and 30 saved bikes on Cycletrader...

Grrrrrrrrrr
$$$$ lands in march....

thanks for everyone's input.
Keep it coming please.

Desmo749... I will certainly be in touch!

Rex
Yeah you are right in gateway to mountains. I’m in Marietta area and do allot of riding up in Suches...etc. Most of the time with stop at TWO for food and to check out rides. You have to ping me when to get bike.
There are plenty of choices when it come to monsters all are good. I tend to go with larger displacement for torque (passing power).
There are other makes that are good too like FZ or MT09. A couple buddies of mine had them and really liked them. The 17 and newer ones are good the older ones need front springs for anyone over 150 lbs. In general they had very soft front springs.
Good luck in search . It sounds like you are well on the way:)I’m sure you will find something that excites you.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
i got an R because i loved the livery of it. That being said, i’ve had a warped rear cylinder, replaced under warranty. That dealer said maybe i was over revving it. No track days and it has a rev limiter. At another dealer to fix an oil leak another R burned up his rear cylinder. I asked and he said he had few Rs with rear cylinder issues but 0 S’s. Maybe my state just got some unlucky ones. But the S is solid. if i did it over again i would get the grey S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts