Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please measure the length of the headtube on their 1098 frame? I am planning on building up a Supersport with 1098 triple clamp setup and I need to know the difference in the length of the head tube.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I don't have a 1098, so can't provide that measurement. Knowing Ducati, they'll probably bolt up. However, you should consider the 36mm offset of the 1098 clamp. The SS uses 28 or 30mm (IIRC) offset. Going to 36mm will reduce your trail and, thus, stability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a 1098, so can't provide that measurement. Knowing Ducati, they'll probably bolt up. However, you should consider the 36mm offset of the 1098 clamp. The SS uses 28 or 30mm (IIRC) offset. Going to 36mm will reduce your trail and, thus, stability.
My plan is to use a Ducshop 30mm offset triple clamp setup made for the 1098. My main concern was the length of the bottom clamp stem, which is dictated by the length of the bikes head tube (as shown in the pic).

I went to the dealership today and measured the 1098 headtube, and it is about the same as the Supersport at 6.9" or 175mm. I am good to go using the 1098 setup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry my ignorance, but what is offset??

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My plan is to use a Ducshop 30mm offset triple clamp setup made for the 1098. My main concern was the length of the bottom clamp stem, which is dictated by the length of the bikes head tube (as shown in the pic).
Gotcha

Sorry my ignorance, but what is offset??
With triple clamps, offset is the distance between the center of the steering axis to the center of the forks. The amount of offset directly affects the amount of trail...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts