Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm trying to remove my belly pans and my bike has the center stand. Looks like I need to remove the center stand to remove the pan. Can some one confirm that to remove the center stand I just need to remove the bolt on each side? I need to drop it down to access the screw for the pan correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine must be on there really tight. Couldn't break them. They are lefty loosy right?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mine must be on there really tight. Couldn't break them. They are lefty loosy right?

Left to loosen....

Some have employed heat prior to the left turn.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Once removed, many have cut slots in the pan to enable easy future removal. There should be some threads on it somewhere...

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
center stand bolts

I took my MTS to shop for 600 mile oil change today. The tech told me he commonly has to apply heat and use his big pry bar to remove the center stand bolts the first time.
Also told me wheels are torqued to 150 ft/lbs. Some things are tight!
Also said some fasteners are easy to strip. So keep your mind on what you're doing.:eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used a two foot breaker bar. They came off without too much effort or heat. Had the heat ready though. Easy to cut two slots in the pan with a separating disk on a dremel. Had a lot of gunk and crud inside the pan so glad I did it. I didn't put the stand back on, however. Figured I'd save the weight and put it on as necessary for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Yes do a search on the center stand and figure out which side to take off first with reguards to the heavy duty springs involved . There is an EASIER way to do the work and a difficult way to do it..
When slotting the belly pan holes don't take out too much metal just enuff that you can squeeze the rubber grommets in place. the big nut on bottom holds it in place mainly...
I didn't put locktight on the centerstand. just some never seize and did them up tight enuff...
Have fun

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi. I'm trying to remove my belly pans and my bike has the center stand. Looks like I need to remove the center stand to remove the pan. Can some one confirm that to remove the center stand I just need to remove the bolt on each side? I need to drop it down to access the screw for the pan correct?

Thanks!
Left to loosen....

Some have employed heat prior to the left turn.

Yup, center stand has to come off.

Buy yourself on of THESE and use it on both bolts. Apply to the center of the bolt for about 30 seconds to a minute on each bolt or until you can break the loctite. Once you remove the bolts, you won't have to use the torch anymore (mine come off without a problem now and I don't apply loctite nor do I use torque-wrench).

Removing the stand will be tricky the first time (mainly due to the spring on one site), but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out...

·
Registered
743 Posts
My centerstand bolts were tight, but with 1/2" drive socket, not an issue. I had to put my foot on the footpeg, but they popped rather easily. They are locktited, so I used 'blue' Locktite when I put 'em back on.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
My centerstand bolts were tight, but with 1/2" drive socket, not an issue. I had to put my foot on the footpeg, but they popped rather easily. They are locktited, so I used 'blue' Locktite when I put 'em back on.
Yep they are put on there with red loctite from the factory and that stuff can be hard to break free.

For mine i used my impact gun to break them free and it was a non issue. I put red back on them because i dont want any chance for them to wiggle free.

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
If you are gonna use flame be careful of the vent hoses hanging down!!!
BOOOM!
A quick fast JERK motion instead of slowly applying wrench pressure. And watch out for when it breaks loose you don't want to do a face plant or crush your Pinkys either...

Also try swearing at it a lot some people do that with some success or not.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it! A little heat and both bolts turned right over. I managed to get er off without removing the spring on the stand. We'll see if install goes as smoothly.

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Leave the springs attached then work that side first then the other side , OR ,Is it the other way around???
You will figure it out..
Did you slot the rear belly pan holes?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leave the springs attached then work that side first then the other side , OR ,Is it the other way around???
You will figure it out..
Did you slot the rear belly pan holes?
I worked the left side first by removing that screw and pulling down on the stand to create the clearance to access the pan screw. Then I put the stand screw back in and worked the spring side using same method. I was able to clear the belly pan screw by really pulling the stand out of the way but it was rough with the spring tension still on the stand. Probably easier to remove the spring and reattach as other posts describe using zip ties and the like.

I'm not equipped to slot the belly pan, and knock on wood I won't be doing this again after install. Famous last words...
Anyway, not that you haven't seen them enough, but I'll post pics once parts come back. Hope I made the right choice on gloss black over flat. To me gloss makes sense since my bike is all gloss black and carbon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The belly pan and centre stand do not need to be removed to do an oil change. Take off the side panels remove front bolt on belly pan so it tips forward, some oil will drip on to bottom of pan and the centre stand but that can be cleaned after.

·
Premium Member
2012 multistrada 1200 / 2019 hypermotard 950
346 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts