Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have replaced my windscreen and installed an LED tag light and now I believe I need a new battery. Any suggestions of what or where I should get a battery for my 2000 Ducati 748S? Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do a search, covered a TON of times. Speedcell and Odyssesy are mentioned....
I recently had a lot of trouble with the speedcell battery. I would strongly recommend that you get a real big honking battery.

The speedcell was super light, but it was more for keeping the bike running and not starting the massive twin up all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I recently had a lot of trouble with the speedcell battery. I would strongly recommend that you get a real big honking battery.

The speedcell was super light, but it was more for keeping the bike running and not starting the massive twin up all the time.
Did you call them about that? I've read nothing but positive things about their batteries, including on street bikes.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
I recommend the Odyssey PC680, but not the SpeedCell, for the street.

The principal advantage of using a larger battery is to be able to restart repeatedly and to have a cold weather reserve. If you regularly don't ride long enough to recharge fully between restarts, stay with a larger capacity battery. Deep discharges will reduce a battery's life. A lower amp-hour battery will need to be trickle-charged more often.

It also depends on the year of your bike. In 2001, all the superbikes were fited with a revised starter motor gear ratio that drew less current and made it possible to start the bike using the new smaller OEM battery. The starter gearing on the early bikes are not well suited for use with the smaller batteries.

For the street, especially if you live where there are cooler seasons or ride in remote areas, it may be unwise to trade-off weight reduction for the reliable starting you get with the reserve capacity of physically larger and heavier batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use the "Batteries +" equivalent of the Yuasa 7tz7s. The Yuasa died after 18 months with some kind of internal failure... not impressed.

I just keep it on a trickle charger all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts