Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace the stock exhaust on my 04 ST3. What do you guys recommend? Full System or Slip-on? If slip-on, do you have to reprogram computer?
Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ducati engines sound great. No question. But they sound great with stock pipes as well. There is a lot to be said for riding in the stealth mode. Law enforcement is attracted by loud noise. If stock pipes save you but one ticket, it is worth it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Duc4Doc said:
Ducati engines sound great. No question. But they sound great with stock pipes as well. There is a lot to be said for riding in the stealth mode. Law enforcement is attracted by loud noise. If stock pipes save you but one ticket, it is worth it.
I have the Ducati Performance carbon fiber cans. They sound great to ME but I would have to agree, they do attract unwanted attention from law enforcement and also make me uncomfortable riding around residential areas and pedestrians. I think overall I prefer the STealth mode of the OEM pipes (which isn't all that stealthy anyway). I would change back in a flash but the carbon fiber pipes are so much lighter I'm having a hard time doing it. I did have a small increase in power with the DP pipes/DP ECU and open airbox but I would seriously consider giving that up to gain the STealthier mode back.

Truth be told, much of the time I'm actually FASTER with the OEM pipes because I can wrap the engine higher and harder without feeling like I'm drawing unwanted attention. Even on the open road I find I pass a bit more cautiously with the louder pipes because about 1 in 10 drivers will jerk to the right side as I go by with the throttle wide open and the engine singing in the upper revs. I want to share the road, not startle the bejesus out of other drivers. That rarely happened with the OEM pipes so, for me, they are the more liberating pipes. The OEM silencers allow much more HP per decible, in that respect THEY are actually the higher performance item. I always get a good chuckle out of the low performance Harleys with open pipes. My gawd, if a bike is going to make that much commotion, at least it had better have something mighty impressive to show for it, ie, tending rapidly towards the vanishing point. But that is rarely the case with those flatulent sounding, open pipe Harleys. I'm not bashing here, just making what I consider an accurate observation.

I always ride with earplugs anyway so the extra decibles are not unwanted in that respect, I actually like the sound although it is apparent that most within earshot do not. Even with earplugs in (or perhaps especially with earplugs in?), I can hear the OEM pipes plenty well enough to feel connected to the engine and I can let it sing without drawing the attention of every law enforcement officer within a mile radius. So, my dilema is, how to keep the light weight and beautiful appearance of the carbon pipes and yet quiet them down a bit so I am not as reluctant to let the engine sing when others are within earshot? Are they re-packable?

·
Registered
40 Posts
exhaust

Well said Mike. When I got my ST I immediately started lusting after the DP kit with chip, pipes and filter. Then something struck me one day when I'd stopped for gas. It was a beautiful sunny Midwestern Saturday afternoon. In rolled a half dozen Harleys making the usual cacaphony. Babies cried, mothers gathered up their daughters. And I saw what an obnoxious intrusion on other peoples' lives those pipes can be.

They left, I finished my ice tea, got suited up and rolled out. I was surprised how quickly I caught up to the group and how easily they were seen in my rearview. I was struck with the sophistication of my Duc and how elegantly it went about its business.

The performance envelope is certainly broad enough for my street needs so I don't feel like its a mandate that I have get the few extra HP freer breathing might yield. I don't mean to be one of Agnew's effete snobs (that dates me) but the way I look at it now, the stock pipes speak to the superiority of the design.

And to Mike's point, never having to think about that db rise when you crack the throttle is liberating. I've owned plenty of vehicles in my time that were loud and for one thing it's nice to be able to sit next to a LEO at a light and not break out in a sweat.

The rest of the world has much stricter sound regs and I'd hate to see them come to the US. I'd miss very much the ability to hear my vintage iron at full song on the occasion. So I've decided not to pursue noise for noise' sake and add one more loud bike to the argument for stricter sound enforcement.

Just my $.02.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
How bout Sil Moto slip-on's? With the removable baffles, you have a couple of options regarding how loud you want the bike to be and you have the added advantage of them being much lighter than the stock units. With them, I suggest opening up the airbox and adding a free flowing filter as well as a Power Commander III. The package works very well, in my opinion, from a weight savings and performance perspective.

·
Registered
602 Posts
mcd said:
How bout Sil Moto slip-on's? With the removable baffles, you have a couple of options regarding how loud you want the bike to be and you have the added advantage of them being much lighter than the stock units. With them, I suggest opening up the airbox and adding a free flowing filter as well as a Power Commander III. The package works very well, in my opinion, from a weight savings and performance perspective.
+1... Excellent advice...I couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
406 Posts
"Come on feel the Noise"

Choice depends on what cans you want. CF or? I really like the Staintunes on a friends bike. He has an '04 ST4s. No chip or power commander. His bike is silver, so the stainless cans look great. Mounted the pipes and took it to AMS. Dyno tuned an WOW, what a diff. (Runs open airbox too.)

I've got DP carbon cans. Love 'em. Old ladies hobble for cover and my neighbors call the cops when I just open my garage door. :D

My kids cover thier ears when I fire up. It's great. I love that sound. And since it is still a light touch quieter than straight pipe Harleys, I guess i'm doing my part!

I don't buy the "keep your bike quiet or loud bikes will be outlawed" mentality. If your bike is quiet, what do you care about the law changing? And if you like loud bikes. Enjoy. Cause sooner or later, the law WILL CHANGE. And loud bikes won't be the reason. Lack of unity and low turnout at the polls will be. Those little old ladies like to gang up and vote for crap even if they never have heard a loud bike.

For example: Senoir citizen lives in Canyon Lake. Can't even ride bikes on the roads in their community. Sees a ballot with a choice. Loud bikes or not? Not of course. Even if there is no impact to thier daily life. Cause in the US, bikes are hated regarless of sound decibles. Put a choice to limit anything about bikes, and it will pass no doubt.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
stick together

We all ride motorcycles yet we treat each other like we are from different Iraqi tribes. Make noise or don't . Just don't slow anyone down or be an a-whole. Oh yeah Sils are great but are presently back ordered. I am waiting for two sets.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Staintune

I have Staintunes on my 04 ST3 and absolutely love them.

I can and do appreciated the comments on the stock pipes (re stealth). But, the Staintunes really release the beautiful sounds of the Duc without being too loud. I use my with the removable baffles installed. I tried the DP open airbox in addition but removed the open airbox because it is WAY too loud. That would hammer me to death. The Staintunes are much lighter than stock, look beautiful, and are easy to maintain.

P.S. I have a friend with the CF DP exhausts and find them to be much louder than my Staintune.

·
Registered
602 Posts
One more thing to think about regarding aftermarket exhaust...the more you run them, the louder they will become due to the need for repacking over time and miles. I know staintunes claim that they don't need to be repacked, but my dealer told me that most others brands do eventually requiring repacking as the years go by.

With all the threads on aftermarket pipes, I don't recall the subject of repacking ever coming up. :think: Has anyone here ever had to repack your exhaust pipes?

Anyway, I am currently running DP aluminum pipes with an open airbox and the setup is noticeably loud when the throttle gets opened up, and yes, I do wear earplugs.

Sound kind of funny to spend all this money on louder pipes and cut you airbox lid open only to stuff earplugs in your ears to tone it all down in your head. My hearing has no price tag! Save your hearing gentlemen (and ladies of course).

·
Registered
588 Posts
GeeeeeeeeeeeeeZ

This one's got the makings of a "what oil do you recommend" thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the DP package (Carbon fiber pipes, open air box lid, K&N Filter and ECU). The pipes are a little loud, but like everyone else I use ear plugs and when i go thru a town I keep it at lower RPM's.

I have a 06 ST3s and the DP kit was for an 05 ST3 (an 05 ECU) so I think thats why I never had the rough running/surging/stalling that other people with 06 ST3s are experience.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pipes like everything are personal preference. My 04 ST3 was too quiet stock...It never seemed to get any sort of growl, but unfortunately, in my state, they are cracking down on aftermarket exhaust on motorcycles thanks to the HD guys. Towns are passing decibel ordinances, inspection stations are getting nabbed for inspecting bikes with aftermarket exhaust, etc...So I had to be picky when I got my exhaust...

I went with Leo Vince SBK's...Dealer said he would always inspect the bike with that brand exhaust since it's not obnoxious...Quiet at idle, quiet at relatively low RPM's, but get loud when you get on it...

My bike runs WAY smoother at low RPM's with the aftermarket exhaust, when you're running around on city streets...I'm sure you'll be happy with any exhaust you choose...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Staintune

I have the Staintune as well. The removable baffle is great. One screw and you can drop the noise level down to OEM comparable levels.

Look great too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate your reply's guys. I think I would like something a little more, but not obnixious. So, looking probally at Staintune with the baffle in, or maybe Leo, if you don't think they are too loud. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Desmo_Duc said:
Pipes like everything are personal preference. My 04 ST3 was too quiet stock...It never seemed to get any sort of growl, but unfortunately, in my state, they are cracking down on aftermarket exhaust on motorcycles thanks to the HD guys. Towns are passing decibel ordinances, inspection stations are getting nabbed for inspecting bikes with aftermarket exhaust, etc...So I had to be picky when I got my exhaust...

I went with Leo Vince SBK's...Dealer said he would always inspect the bike with that brand exhaust since it's not obnoxious...Quiet at idle, quiet at relatively low RPM's, but get loud when you get on it...

My bike runs WAY smoother at low RPM's with the aftermarket exhaust, when you're running around on city streets...I'm sure you'll be happy with any exhaust you choose...
I too have a Silver 04 ST3...Thinking about these pipes....Did you do full system or slip on? Also, did you have to reprogram or do different airbox, etc?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Cycleman6 said:
I too have a Silver 04 ST3...Thinking about these pipes....Did you do full system or slip on? Also, did you have to reprogram or do different airbox, etc?
I always like Staintune for the quality and "lifetime" packing. But not sure how a polished stainless pipe would like on a my silver Ducati. That's why I was considering the DP CF. But, the noise issue does bother me. I have to admit the oval Staintune pipes do look sweet. What do you think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Sil Motor slip-ons also have the removable baffle. I believe they come in a titanium finish, aluminum finish or the carbon fiber (which is what I have). With baffles in they sound better than stock but not too loud at all. They are very competitively priced, too. I have been very pleased with the quality and sound of mine. You can get them from www.carpimoto.com

1 - 20 of 68 Posts