Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm considering buying my first Ducati (I've been riding for 9 years though). I am a fan of simple bikes; the Monster and the SS both are exciting options for me.

I saw this ad on Craigslist...
and I've contacted the seller about looking at it. However, the bike is a long drive away from here and so I want to make sure I am not wasting my time.

First, the bike looks different from the other 2007 800SS models I've seen on the internet... the fairing looks like an older model. Am I missing something or is the seller lying?

Second, apart from the fuel vent issue described in other threads, what other things should I look for when I go to see the bike?

I'd consider getting a 1000 or a 900SS, as others have recommended, but I like the idea of getting something newer since I like to know how a bike has been maintained and the older it is, the harder it is to know that. :)

The seller said that it has a couple of scratches but it has never been down.

The price seems like a good deal ($5400) but I am wary because it looks like an older model.

Any thoughts or advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
there is no older or newer style of injected Supersports at hand,
fairing wise, they are all the same, from 1998-2008, from 620 to
1000cc, the bike on craig's list has an aftermarket front fairing fitted,
or the middle part of an aftermarked front fairing to be exact.

:think:

what is the mileage of this bike ?

age isn't much of a concern with those, as they
are not older than 10 years anyway, be it a low
mileage bike, i wouldn't worry too much.

get a stock one with few miles on it and 1000cc. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is no older or newer style of injected Supersports at hand,
fairing wise, they are all the same, from 1998-2008, from 620 to
1000cc, the bike on craig's list has an aftermarket front fairing fitted,
or the middle part of an aftermarked front fairing to be exact.

:think:

what is the mileage of this bike ?

age isn't much of a concern with those, as they
are not older than 10 years anyway, be it a low
mileage bike, i wouldn't worry too much.

get a stock one with few miles on it and 1000cc. ;)
From what he's said, it's around 10k miles.

And thanks for the advice on the fairing. I will look for a 1000cc or 900cc version.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I have an 05 800ss. The middle section of fairing is the correct shape, but the decal is wrong. The upper fairing and mirrors look more superbike. Or just aftermarket stuff. Not saying anything has been majorly damaged on the bike, it's just that some of the body is different. $5400 seems high with 10k even if the bodywork has just been replaced for looks. DEFINATLY high if it's been down. Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
See my other post http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showpost.php?p=615036&postcount=16
I see no reason for a 1000 unless you are a heavy person and it will make up for it. An 800 will probably be less on ins, and has more than enough go.
just got down from mt. baker today... trust me, you want the ds:D

i've got about 3000 miles on her since i took her over, and every single ride is a revelation. i absolutely think this is the perfect bike(for me).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you buy the bike? I just bought a 800ss and I love it. I'm 190 lbs and there is plenty of jam to get me into trouble. I am finding that the bike is making me a smoother rider- less frantic.

I have, however discovered that there is a problem with "false neutrals" with the gearbox. Between 5th and 6th a really have to be careful. The bike oly has 800 miles on it (2005) and it's a cream puff.

I'd say gt the 800- no worries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy selling this particular 800SS was a complete idiot.

I ended up buying a Monster 750 instead and I love the bike. Still also love the Supersports; eventually I may have to buy an older one for fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts