Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya don't need torq specs for those, I do them hand tight, you don't wanna torq them because they're all aluminum and I'm sure its like 10nm or something very low like that.
Really? You DONT tighten them up hard? This seems like the kind of thing you would want to be VERY tight.... hmm

Thanks for responses!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Fork Bottom End Screw"
Would this chart (for a 999) be applicable with my 2006 749s? The reason being is because I want to buy new Ti pinch bolts and the torque page states the size of the screw and the thread pitch (M8x1.25). I know that a fair number of things were changed in 2006 and I wasnt sure if this could have been one change that was made (the pinch bolts that is).

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Remember Nm or Newton meter is a larger number than the equivalent pound ft. that we use. You'll have to convert Nm to Lb. ft....but I would put some blue loctite and hand tighten. Then use some yellow paint to mark the bolts location so you can quick check it before a ride. I do it to my axle nuts and anything else that might cause a catastrophy if it became loose.

·
comrade moderator
26,859 Posts
I would recommend the use of a torque wrench, unless you have a finely calibrated elbow, borne of years of experience.
And then, I would still use a torque wrench. Respect the machine.

How tight is "hand tight"? Exactly?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
There is actually a wide range of non-specific tightness values, "hand tight" is about mid-range.

Gorilla Tight - How tight would an 800 pound gorilla get it? Usually just short of being stripped, you're never going to get this apart.
WF Tight - (Wicked #$%^&! tight) Usually involves two hands and big wrench with an extension. You're going to work your ass off to get this apart. Like Jiffy Lube or factory installed oil filters .....
Tight - two hands and big wrench or ratchet. It's on there like it's supposed to be.
Hand tight - one hand, maybe use a wrench or a cheesy ratchet and sloppy socket. Long term headache just waiting to happen.
Finger Tight - no tools needed, about as tight a five year old would put something together if they actually cared about it. Trouble brewing, but will wait till the worst possible moment to occur.
Put Together - Tight? What's tight, you told me to just put it together. Immenent disaster...

Then there's the non specific measure values, BCH ......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts