Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing my oil today, I am at 2200 miles. I changed it at 600, and it just hit 2200 miles. I change it pretty often, always using Mobil1 10W-40 full synth motorcycle oil and a new filter.

Every 1500 miles is usually where I change it at, or when it becomes dark enough that I cannot see through it in the sight window.

Anyway, I drained the oil and figured that because I have never cleaned the oil screen in the bottom of the motor that I would give it a crack. I wanted to make sure that there was no bits of metal in there from the manufacturing process or the break-in...

Got it out, cleaned it up, and noticed that the bottom access plate had a thin layer of silicone gasket, that of course partially came off when I removed the plate.

My question is, how necessary is that? Do I need to clean off that plate and put a new bead of gasket on there, let it dry and then install it? Or can I just slap it on and tighten it up?

I already drained the oil and removed the filter and cleaned the screen. Before I go putting in the new oil, what are your thoughts? Should I go get some RTV silicone first?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree. Any dealer should stock Ducatibond. It is the #4 type sealant. Semi-drying. (gray) Smear a thin layer around the outside and no need to let dry. Slap it on there. If that plate has the 4mm allen fasteners, replace them with hex heads. They love to round out! Ducati started doing this from the factory recently.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there should be a crush washer.
Nah, on this bike it is a square plate about 2.5" across held in by four 8mm bolts. So there is no crush washer and no gasket. It was sealed with silicone.

Ok, as per the other user responding, I have drained the bike and I have to run over to Cycle Gear and get a filter and 4 quarts of oil. I will pick up some silicone gasket in a tube as well.

Do you just put a small bead on the plate(after cleaning it of all oil, and then put it on and let it dry, or let it dry first and then put it on?

I know I sound like a retard for even asking, but this is the first time I had to deal with a bike that didn't have a crush washer or an actual gasket. LOL

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. Any dealer should stock Ducatibond. It is the #4 type sealant. Semi-drying. (gray) Smear a thin layer around the outside and no need to let dry. Slap it on there. If that plate has the 4mm allen fasteners, replace them with hex heads. They love to round out! Ducati started doing this from the factory recently.
Ok, cool. Not sure what type Cycle Gear will have, but they should have something. I will look for what you described, put a thin bead on and then tighten it up and let it sit for an hour before I go riding.

Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, cool. Not sure what type Cycle Gear will have, but they should have something. I will look for what you described, put a thin bead on and then tighten it up and let it sit for an hour before I go riding.

Thanks!
You can also substitute Yamabond, same stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can also use permatex...I use the red high temp rtv silicone from them and it works great. You only need a little bit. I don't think it's 100% necessary to use it, but you should as I feel it's purpose is to act as a safeguard in case the o-ring fails at the bottom of the oil screen

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I found a tube of copper colored 700 degree high-temp RTV that is oil resistant. I put just a tiny bead around the plate after cleaning it with brake cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, and then put it on.

No leaks so far.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts