Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this guy "linds" posts. They're all sort of generic responses that don't directly deal with the string and all contain links to two Chinese manufacturer's sites. I think he's a fake member. If I'm wrong he can certainly post and let us know I'm mistaken.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/member.php?u=36898

P.S. sorry if there was a better way to do this.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Take a look at this guy "linds" posts. They're all sort of generic responses that don't directly deal with the string and all contain links to two Chinese manufacturer's sites. I think he's a fake member. If I'm wrong he can certainly post and let us know I'm mistaken.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/member.php?u=36898
He shouldn't be around to bother us anymore. :rolleyes:

P.S. sorry if there was a better way to do this.
The better way is to send a message to one of the moderators.

And this is to everyone - Remember that moderators are volunteers. We do this because we enjoy interacting with people of similar interests. :D Also remember that "us moderators" get caught up in the seasonal stuff too. We aren't moderating every single hour of the day. We might be having "a get together" with our family and friends. Maybe we're taking in a football or basketball game. Some of us might even be sleeping. :sleep: In other words, we don't sit by the computer 24 hours of the day. :eek: So notify us when you see spam . . . and give us some time to react. I promise you that moderators don't like spam any more than you do.

Thanks

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I always appropriate a heads about a spammer.

If a thread is obviously spam one of us will catch that pretty quickly. But spam that is inserted into a thread could easily go unnoticed. Time being what it is (always short!) there are, quite frankly, some threads that I never read at all.

-don

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I always appropriate a heads about a spammer.

If a thread is obviously spam one of us will catch that pretty quickly. But spam that is inserted into a thread could easily go unnoticed. Time being what it is (always short!) there are, quite frankly, some threads that I never read at all.

-don
What about guys offering bikes or parts using the signature?

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
To my way of thinking spam is a lot like B.O. In any crowd you'll get an occasional whiff. But if it makes my eyes tear I'll say something.

-don

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I have caught one or two of those and politely asked the poster to change and/or remove his/her signature. If that doesn't work I will get more forceful. :rolleyes:

I miss some things. Keep me informed.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for taking care of this, Geo. You can pull this thread now too if you want, unless you think the info is important for everyone.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Did we ever find out why the "report post" button disappeared? Can we get it back?

·
Registered
309 Posts
For completeness, may I suggest removing the link to the "home page" of said user? It's a spam link, used to wrench search engine results. Leaving it there increases the attraction of spamming ducati.ms a tiny little bit, and devalues true search hits against ducati.ms a little bit when the engines figure it out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Guys, ( Mods mainly)

I had a really strange thing happen today I am selling a bicycle ( and I won't post the link ...lol ). In the add I had a pic of my Toyota Corolla with a bike rack that I am selling too.....and I had an offer too good to refuse on the car....like maybe $2000 above what it's worth. The guy said he really needs a car and he is working on an offshore oil rig...blah..blah..blah.

I get an email that looked to be from Paypal using their logo etc....telling me I had just been credited with $22750.00 !

$750.00 of this money I had to forward on to a freight company and then I would receive the $22K......hmmm sounds too good to be true.

I checked my Paypal account...guess what ?.....yep nothin.

I reported it to Paypal and sent a couple of emails back to the sender telling him I had called the cops and reported him to Paypal.

I don't know if you want to warn the forum about this sort of stuff and I didn't want to start a thread...it's probably all too common.

BTW anybody want to buy a bicycle ?

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When it's not ebay (such as, for instance, Craigslist), then the same scam is usually done with a counterfeit cashier's check. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for your bank to discover that the check was counterfeit, and meanwhile you've sent part of it off to someone else, and it's gone.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
the same scam is usually done with a counterfeit cashier's check. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for your bank to discover that the check was counterfeit, and meanwhile you've sent part of it off to someone else, and it's gone.
That happened to me way back in the pre Craig's List era. In that case the fellow had the cajones to even come by and pick up the item I was selling.

Interestingly my wife called her cousin - a Boston cop - to see if he had any suggestions. He said that tracking the guy down would be nearly impossible, BUT... that while many people don't know it such thefts are typically covered by a home owner's or apartment dweller's insurance.

We called the insurance company and found that was correct. A check from them soon followed and that one cleared the bank. :)

-don

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
That happened to me way back in the pre Craig's List era. In that case the fellow had the cajones to even come by and pick up the item I was selling.

Interestingly my wife called her cousin - a Boston cop - to see if he had any suggestions. He said that tracking the guy down would be nearly impossible, BUT... that while many people don't know it such thefts are typically covered by a home owner's or apartment dweller's insurance.

We called the insurance company and found that was correct. A check from them soon followed and that one cleared the bank. :)

-don
As a addendum, after the above experience I created two rules for myself and intended buyers: 1) I was always armed - gun clearly visible in a holster - when the buyer arrived. And 2) I always insisted on taking a photo of the buyer. Never needed to use either, but several of the photos for some reason came out very blurry and showed the intended buyers back. (I never figured out why) :p

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Did we ever find out why the "report post" button disappeared? Can we get it back?
We're looking for it. Seriously. We are. :D I hardly ever use it so I didn't notice that it was gone.

·
Administrator
12,801 Posts
It's around here somewhere...did anyone check the couch? :p
I did and I found some nasty stuff, maybe Metalhead had been sitting on it... but no report post button.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts