Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello old friends,

It's been a while. My old ST3 is long gone and replaced by a very nice mint 06 R1200GS i picked up with 1200 miles on it. It's been a great bike for a couple of years.
But...............
I miss my throttle response and the grin factor. i test rode a 12 MTS and it was truly the most FUN i've ever had on a test ride.

Please help me decide.
1. is the 17" front wheel vs the GS 19" a big deal? I ride some washed out areas, mild dirt/gravel fire roads in the smokeys, complete with H20 crossings.

2. new 12 vs 13 model year. Can still find 12's for a couple k off. i know that the 13's will be close to MSRP. worth it for Skyhook?

Thxs as always.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Brick,
1. Depends on how off-road you go. There was a thread on this: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-201...tercooled/153352-why-no-off-road-respect.html
2. Not for me. I'm a second or third generation adopter when it costs $25K. I'm an early adopter when it comes to things like an iPad, though ;0. Besides, the Ohlins are great and the bike is way more capable than I am.
However, it's not just skyhook that is changed. The engine and windscreen got some interesting upgrades as well. Maybe not earth-shaking, but they will probably be nice.
Also consider how soon (or if at all) you will put on farkles. Some parts from the '10-12 model will fit, some won't. I'm sure new model year accessories are on the way, though.
Good luck!

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you're willing or want to change the exhaust go for the 2012 serie. Get a remap and they're good to go. Excellent throttle response.
If you're not, buy the 2013, better throttle response in low RPM than the standard 2012 and some extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
My reasoning went like this; based on a 120 mile or so test ride, all on pavement. Also based on what I was looking for- a bike at least as powerful with as much grin factor as the V-Rod, unique, more comfortable for touring and putting long days on, greater lean angle, more nimble- tighter handling in the twisties. I am not comfortable riding to aggressively with forward controls and a shallow lean angle. Bonus- appears to have decent off pavement possibilities-(i'll get to that) I am a desert rat with mountain tendencies.

1. Wow! this is the funnest, most natural riding position, best handling bike I have ridden. I have got to get me one of these!

12 vs 13

+12- save a couple thou.- maybe

+13
coolant head issue- should be a non issue

rear brake-(important to me) on the earlier models sounds like a PIA at best and something to throw money at worst, if it is important to you. Acknowledged, addressed and hopefully fixed.

Low rpm roughness-- an issue with some earlier models, seems mostly easily fixable, seems to be a non issue with the 13's.

Buffetting/Noise- lots of people seem to experience buffeting; on the 2011 I rode I had none or at least so much less than I have on the V-Rod or had on the GTL as to be negligible. Noise- the 2011 was a noisy beast but i ride with ear plugs and or music mostly so mostly a non issue, that the factory has addressed and seems better; also seems to be fairly easily and not to spendy to lessen.

Improved torque, gas mileage, fueling- advantage 13

Suspension- the most reliable the standard model, the most versatile Skyhook, the best who knows. The std suspension was so much better than what I was used to on a street bike that if either DES or Skyhook is better and reliable I'll be happier than a pig in sh!t.

Enduro Mode-- comes down to perception and expectation; and willingness to throw money at damage :D. To some riding a straight, flat washboardy gravel road is dirt biking. To me a bike prepped and capable for an ISDE is a dirt bike/enduro.

I plan on and expect the MTS to be fine riding out to old ghost towns in the desert, mountain pass roads in Colorado and Utah, Forest Service roads anywhere. Am I going to do those things when I know the weather is going to make them slick and nasty or the likelihood of busting through the occasional snow drift is present -uh-no. Will it ever be taken out to mud bog, single track-seriously or run baja-no. Do I believe it will will take me where I want to take it yes. With a huge grin as my permanent countenance.

edit- remember I am a desert/mountain rat so my definition of slick and nasty is probably a little more extreme than most- it will probably see water crossings and a little mud- hopefully with just the rubber side down. I'll have to ride it in the mild first to see what kind of wild there is. But it is after all an upright sport/touring bike.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
My old stomping grounds! I grew up in Murfreesboro.

I have taken my Multi on plenty of fire roads, gravel roads, etc. Are you familiar with the fire roads at Franklin State Forest around Sewanee? I have ridden most of these on my Multi. I've ridden some of the back roads around Tellico as well. I've ridden up Turkey Scratch Road at Spencer. Its not the best bike for offroad, but it does fine for me.

As for MY 12 v. 13, I love the Ohlins suspension. I would recommend the 12. Also, the 13 is likely to have some bugs to work out.

Let me know if you want to do any riding or want to meet up around Sewanee to try my Multi on some dirt roads. I'll probably be riding around Sewanee and FCF on Sunday.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info !!
Thanks everyone.
Please keep em coming.

Thomas,
not familiar with Franklin state forest fire service roads.Please provide any info you can. I ride the Sewanee area sometimes. Want to try roarks cove road next visit.
Love me some fire service roads. Main reason i left sport-touring.
Hope we can ride soon.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Ah, Roark's Cove, aka, Alto Road. I highly suggest going up it on your first time instead of down. It has one corner in particular that can get you in trouble if you are not familiar with the road. The road kicks to ~10% and then a sharp right. I've not been on it in about a year, but last time the pavement was horrible. Also, beware the locals flying up/down the road without a care for center lines.

Franklin State Forest is on 156 heading south towards South Pittsburg. 156 hits 41A at St. Andrews. Go about 7 miles down 156 and you will hit FSF. Very pretty place. You can find easy gravel roads to crazy single track. The only problem you will encounter is the lack of markings. I have yet to find a decent map of the place. The trails are always moving.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive had my 2011 multi at speeds of exess of 175 kph (around 110 mph) on the dirt.
Really good. the enduro mode with a custom traction control setting, makes for very confident riding. My mate on his ktm 990 could not keep up.
On really rough stuff, the 990 is a better bike. general fire roads, a gravel roads, the multi is as good if not better than any other machine i have rode.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Ive had my 2011 multi at speeds of exess of 175 kph (around 110 mph) on the dirt.
Really good. the enduro mode with a custom traction control setting, makes for very confident riding.
What setting did you use? Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There was a very helpful head to head review of the 2012 and 2013 multistrada someone linked to here a couple weeks ago. The bottom line, if you ride solo, the ohlins is as good as skyhook. If you ride two up, skyhook is better. And not because of the technology itself really, it's the heavier rear spring. A relatively easy upgrade to a 2012 for two up riders.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My reasoning went like this; based on a 120 mile or so test ride, all on pavement. Also based on what I was looking for- a bike at least as powerful with as much grin factor as the V-Rod, unique, more comfortable for touring and putting long days on, greater lean angle, more nimble- tighter handling in the twisties. I am not comfortable riding to aggressively with forward controls and a shallow lean angle. Bonus- appears to have decent off pavement possibilities-(i'll get to that) I am a desert rat with mountain tendencies.

1. Wow! this is the funnest, most natural riding position, best handling bike I have ridden. I have got to get me one of these!

12 vs 13

+12- save a couple thou.- maybe

+13
coolant head issue- should be a non issue

rear brake-(important to me) on the earlier models sounds like a PIA at best and something to throw money at worst, if it is important to you. Acknowledged, addressed and hopefully fixed.

Low rpm roughness-- an issue with some earlier models, seems mostly easily fixable, seems to be a non issue with the 13's.

Buffetting/Noise- lots of people seem to experience buffeting; on the 2011 I rode I had none or at least so much less than I have on the V-Rod or had on the GTL as to be negligible. Noise- the 2011 was a noisy beast but i ride with ear plugs and or music mostly so mostly a non issue, that the factory has addressed and seems better; also seems to be fairly easily and not to spendy to lessen.

Improved torque, gas mileage, fueling- advantage 13

Suspension- the most reliable the standard model, the most versatile Skyhook, the best who knows. The std suspension was so much better than what I was used to on a street bike that if either DES or Skyhook is better and reliable I'll be happier than a pig in sh!t.

Enduro Mode-- comes down to perception and expectation; and willingness to throw money at damage :D. To some riding a straight, flat washboardy gravel road is dirt biking. To me a bike prepped and capable for an ISDE is a dirt bike/enduro.

I plan on and expect the MTS to be fine riding out to old ghost towns in the desert, mountain pass roads in Colorado and Utah, Forest Service roads anywhere. Am I going to do those things when I know the weather is going to make them slick and nasty or the likelihood of busting through the occasional snow drift is present -uh-no. Will it ever be taken out to mud bog, single track-seriously or run baja-no. Do I believe it will will take me where I want to take it yes. With a huge grin as my permanent countenance.

edit- remember I am a desert/mountain rat so my definition of slick and nasty is probably a little more extreme than most- it will probably see water crossings and a little mud- hopefully with just the rubber side down. I'll have to ride it in the mild first to see what kind of wild there is. But it is after all an upright sport/touring bike.
The rear brake on my 2013 is rock solid and works as it should. My 2012 rear brake was almost non-functional. The guy that purchased it from me just took it in to have that addressed. Then again, I almost never use the rear brake. If I was in dirt, I would...

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts