·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As the sign on the wall of my shop say's---

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The ducati part is $17, not available at my local dealer and a 3 day minimum wait from somehwere else. The ILCO blank is $2.99 and available at 5 local hardware stores within 8 miles of my house. When I bought my 900SS it came with a single Ducati key. I wanted a spare. I didn't care if it was branded Ducati, I just wanted it to work so if I misplaced the only key, I wasn't screwed.

As much as we love and adore these bikes because they deserve to be, they are often most peoples entry into Italian motorcycling which is hard enough to get people interested in to begin with. When someone scores a beater that they want to make into a rider just to discover the joys of owning a Ducati, the last thing they want to hear is some holier-than-though preaching about a part that's rapidly approaching NLA and costs 10x what it should.

There's a whole thread pinned at the top of this forum about cheaper than OEM replacement parts. Key blanks aren't in there.
I do agree with you wholeheartedly , and Im sure you weren't specifically pointing at me the originator of this post , But your observation is opens the door for me to clarify myself.
I have owned a Ducati in the past a 2v Monster 750 , great bikes loved it ! I have owned many many , too many bikes probably! Currently in the stable : Honda ST1100 (fantastic bike) , 97 Katana 600 ( great bike to ride) 1975 Yamaha RD200 (absolute blast) and most recently the 99 Ducati 900SS! The Ducati will never be entered into a concours event , but it will be mine it won't be a "beater" It will slowly turn into the Ducati I think I have always wanted. I take NO offense to your post whatsoever , very well stated!
All that bla, bla, bla ........ No the local locksmith who has my ignition and my factory Ducati key blank ($13.00) was clear that they had in the past not had good results with the aftermarket blanks , he suggested we start with an original and then once we know that indeed works properly , attempted a $2 blank. A good call on his part I feel. Thank You Again Chuckracer , this is all stuff I should have already posted ! Good man !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got a call from the locksmith today ! All set , cleaned and lubed all the locks (ignition, tank, seat) Cut me keys. Put a battery in , plugged in ignition , turned the key .....lights and motor will turn over! Thanks to all! Now onto the basics before starting!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
good for you mate --First step done

·
Registered
4 Posts
As much as we love and adore these bikes because they deserve to be, they are often most peoples entry into Italian motorcycling which is hard enough to get people interested in to begin with. When someone scores a beater that they want to make into a rider just to discover the joys of owning a Ducati, the last thing they want to hear is some holier-than-though preaching about a part that's rapidly approaching NLA and costs 10x what it should.
So much this! I got my '97 900 for $1500 and have been putting in the sweat equity to keep it on the road, and it seriously chafes when people are just endlessly parroting for me to spend another $1500 on some fancy carburetors. I'm not out here racing gixxers, I'm just enjoying the noise from my sweet FbF pipes and torque from a 900cc air cooled tractor engine zip tied to some scaffolding with wheels.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So much this! I got my '97 900 for $1500 and have been putting in the sweat equity to keep it on the road, and it seriously chafes when people are just endlessly parroting for me to spend another $1500 on some fancy carburetors. I'm not out here racing gixxers, I'm just enjoying the noise from my sweet FbF pipes and torque from a 900cc air cooled tractor engine zip tied to some scaffolding with wheels.
I am right there with you mate, I paid $1500.00 for my 91 900SS as well, I spent another $1500.00 getting it right and doing some things that I just wanted to do-(I could have only spent $500.00 and had a good running bike) --But to spend the money on a set of FCR carbs & a 944 Kit for a bike that is never going to see the track and all I want to do is enjoy it on the road to me the money to do those things is just sand down a rat hole lol

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
My god that would be as insane as someone racing a air cooled BMW...lol

Just rode a 56,000 mile 900ss with FCR's, ran great, sounded great... just plain was great. No worries not everyone needs to spend money on our bikes to have fun, no one will make you do so either. At the same time not offering advice on what will make a good bike great is not about bragging but trying to share the fun.

Is the bike fun in stock trim? yes of course.
Is it better with improved..
springs?
dampers?
carbs?
pistons?
cams?
wheels?
tires?
Brakes?
Solo seat?

Some rush to put a solo seat on that only helps the looks, same money spent on other things improves performance and some owners prefer go over show while others are more interested in the bikes looks while parked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hate to brag but I paid $600.00 for mine , clean title , sitting for 2 years , missing keys. I started it 2 nights ago ! Still have a ways to go to be on the road but soon !

21 - 28 of 28 Posts