Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did score the 99 , 900SS ! So I need a key for it , the po had lost them. I removed the ignition switch ..... there is a 4 digit number ink stamped on the bottom of the switch , could this be a key number ? Or if I made contact with Ducati can they provide a key number from the vin?
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I dont know if Ducati keeps those numbers or not. I know BMW does but to get a factory cut key BMW requires a copy of your D.L. & a copy of the registration that is in your name. I would hope Ducati could do the same --but everything is assuming that none of the lock cylinders have ever been changed--. I would suggest calling Ducati N.A. tomorrow they really do answer the phone and I am sure you will get an answer

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They can probably supply a key by the vin # as I said ---But if any of the lock cylinders have been changed in the past 20 years then that key that you order to work with vin # ---------------- will not work, & that is not Ducati's problem---Thats your problem

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you pull out the lock cylinder and take it to a qualified lock smith, they should be able to make a key that fits. They are pretty simple lock cylinders.

There is also the option to buy a used lock set from a bike breaker for 150 or so, quick search reveals one on eBay right now, but I'd probably ask a locksmith first. The key blanks are the same as Kawasaki I'm pretty sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can probably supply a key by the vin # as I said ---But if any of the lock cylinders have been changed in the past 20 years then that key that you order to work with vin # ---------------- will not work, & that is not Ducati's problem---Thats your problem
I bought the bike from the original owner it only has 7066 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
OK I just spoke to my Dealer about getting a factory cut key for your bike, I was told that Ducati does not offer this. So it seems your best option is going to be go to a good locksmith & have them make a key for you, that should cost less then purchasing a good used set of locks with keys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys ! So .... Ducati doesn't answer the phone or return calls over a 24 hour period. Local Ducati guy had a blank in stock , brought that and the ignition to a local locksmith , he quoted $100 or there about to cut the key for me!
Hope to hear its ready by middle of next week!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
that sounds a wee bit high to me but I guess it depends where you live -I would have thought around $50-75 but again that depends on where you live and the locksmith--But $ 100.00 is cheap to get going

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Marginally related, there is an old Volvo blank that is compatable, but a few mm longer than stock. A competent hardware store with a mechanical key cutter can replicate it. It cross references with a Kawasaki blank.

HyCo KA11
ILCO X105

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just purchase the freeking correct key blank from Ducati --it's the right blank --it's the correct size you dont have to modify it, and when your done ---You Have the correct key. A Kawasaki blank may work but why the hell would you want a Kawasaki key in your Ducati--Some people just make me say---Other peoples children jeeze

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Eric the only thing that would be worse then that would be if you had a Yugo key --pmsl

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
you got a point lol

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Just purchase the freeking correct key blank from Ducati --it's the right blank --it's the correct size you dont have to modify it, and when your done ---You Have the correct key. A Kawasaki blank may work but why the hell would you want a Kawasaki key in your Ducati--Some people just make me say---Other peoples children jeeze

The ducati part is $17, not available at my local dealer and a 3 day minimum wait from somehwere else. The ILCO blank is $2.99 and available at 5 local hardware stores within 8 miles of my house. When I bought my 900SS it came with a single Ducati key. I wanted a spare. I didn't care if it was branded Ducati, I just wanted it to work so if I misplaced the only key, I wasn't screwed.

As much as we love and adore these bikes because they deserve to be, they are often most peoples entry into Italian motorcycling which is hard enough to get people interested in to begin with. When someone scores a beater that they want to make into a rider just to discover the joys of owning a Ducati, the last thing they want to hear is some holier-than-though preaching about a part that's rapidly approaching NLA and costs 10x what it should.

There's a whole thread pinned at the top of this forum about cheaper than OEM replacement parts. Key blanks aren't in there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I am primarily a BMW shop but I do normal service work on older Ducati's as well, Hell I even have 3 of these key blanks sitting on my shelf, Anyone that has only 1 key for their bike regardless of brand should get at least 1 if not 2 spare keys made as spares, so if you have to wait a few days for a key blank from the dealer that is no big deal-----If you have only 1 key and dont get a spare made you deserve what happens when you break, lose your only key---I know this required forethought. Now if you purchase a bike and there are no keys you have to get one made or replace all of the locks. So if you have to have one made by a locksmith why would you not use what is correct for the bike. If you have to whine about the price of something this inexpensive then maybe you should be looking at a Chinese scooter not a European Motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
26,557 Posts
NOT telling the OP what to do

I wanted a spare key for my Aprilia V4 Tuono. It's a chipped key but easily matched with the ECU (because it's not a Ducati) so I ordered a Genuine Aprilia Key, just like my original, 'cause that's just how I roll.

The national Aprilia (and all things Piaggio) dealer, AF1, also cuts these internal cut keys for $20 but I thought, no I'll get it cut locally. That seems too much.

I'm sure you can guess where this is headed.

Yup, Ace Hardware butchered my new $80 key because I wanted to save $12. So I bought another key, but this time a Generic programmable spare and sent AF1 my original key so they can cut this one, which they did for free, and now my useless $120 Aprilia Key is screwed to the wall above my toolbox as a reminder not to be a fuckin cheapskate and do the right goddam thing the first time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts