Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike out today for the first ride this year after I did all the winter maintenance, waited for the end of ski season (which came early), and some relaxing of COVID-19 restrictions. Started the bike, backed it out of the garage, put it in gear, and it died. Re-started and put it in gear several more times and each time it died. So I tried putting it in second gear in lieu of first gear, same thing. So I start thinking "what did I do wrong while I was working on the bike?" Then I thought, "wait, did I..." Sure enough, side stand was still down!!!

Everyone, please stay safe this weekend.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well... It beats disabling the sidestand detect then driving off only to get launched on the first left turn out of your driveway with 6 neighbors watching all sitting on lawnchairs. Hahah.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hmm thats what I need. Any more details on that "fancy little kit"? I even have to pull the clutch in on mine to start after swapping the ECU out of a 1098 and having it flashed appropriately. Even the immobilizer is still working. I haven't figured out how the tach code light knows that the ECU has been changed and continues to burn brightly even though the whole ECU system including the immo has been changed out........

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Why I would always let my ST's warm up at the end of the driveway sitting on the center stands.
Yeah that's another issue I need to solve which is why i need the side stand bypass. The centre stand hits the exhaust pipe on the return causing a dent which I do not want made any worse. It clears by an eighth of an inch but the momentum lets it hit the outlet pipe. The side stand would only prevent the bike running when in gear and not neutral before the ECU change. It also annoys me when I stop and put the side stand it cuts the motor. That and the requirement to pull the clutch lever to start when in neutral also is a pain.

I just have to get off my ass and fix the center stand problem but it tends to never get done when you have another bike in bits requiring attention.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,805 Posts
I have bypassed the side stand switch for over a decade with not a single issue. Being able to have a live starter has saved my bacon a handful of times. Three times loading it on to my tipping trailer and another time with a broken clutch lever.

Have a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts