Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Isn't there a ferry that you can take to cut the slab time down?

I believe there is a ferry that leaves from Bar Harbor, ME. There used to be one from Portland, ME...not sure if there still is? Here is one of the websites:
https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/

This is a trip I have wanted to do for a while. I would probably suggest finding a place to trailer up and leave the trailers at a certain point...otherwise we will waste all our rubber and butt cushion stamina before we hit the nice roads in Nova Scotia. Slab sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
I was in the area so I stopped at the Swiss Farm Inn. Made reservations with Joyce...then went down to the store to talk with Roger.

Can’t wait!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was in the area so I stopped at the Swiss Farm Inn. Made reservations with Joyce...then went down to the store to talk with Roger.

Can’t wait!

Awesome Mike! We're you riding or driving? Going out tomorrow morning if you're still in the 'hood...

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
there is a ferry but I don't know if that cut's out mostly slab or a lot of the scenic riding...bet there's folks around here that have done this trip....Dmitry?
Used to be a ferry leaving Portland to Yarmouth but they left, now operating from Bar Harbor, and website says they are having delays this year, rerouting passengers, etc... when I tried to use them 2 years ago hey simply cancelled 24 hours before the trip and we had to slab it up the Maine coast. Maybe they will solve their problems by next year? right now it's $99 per person plus $101 for the bike for a 3 hour ride, 7 hour ferry to Newfoundland cost 1/2 as much. Only reason to take this Cat ferry is to avoid going up/down the coast if you want to go to Yarmouth NS, saves you few miles, but the best part of NS is Cape Breton, which is all the way at the top of NS, taking this ferry saves you no miles and adds time.

Suckiest part of the trip is Boston to Bangor, 250 miles from Dad's house, 300 from mine, then it's rt.9 for like 100 miles to the border, and another boring hour to Saint John NB. From there you can stay on TCH Rt.1 or follow the coast (adds few hours, but scenic)
Last trip we did time was short so we trailered 2 bikes in the middle of the night up to Antigonish NS which is right at the entrance to Cape Breton, was 750 miles from my house. We left Friday after work and by 7am Saturday were there ready to ride.

I have never been south of Halifax, but also I hear it's nowhere near as scenic as Cape Breton, if we end up with a traveling circus (camp or hotel different place every night) we can do the whole island, but if you gonna have an ECM style home base, then Antigonish (or around) is the place. We would be able to explore all of Cape Breton and good chunk of northern NS making day trips.

Meat Cove, top of Cape Breton

Cabot Trail

Ceilidh Trail

$25 CDN for all this! Best oysters eva!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
love it. and how amazing will it be if Chuck is all shiny and up for the trip.:) let's put some thought into doing this, it turns out one of us knows someone with a place in Maine to park trucks/trailers so we wouldn't have to slab the boring part.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
love it. and how amazing will it be if Chuck is all shiny and up for the trip.:) let's put some thought into doing this, it turns out one of us knows someone with a place in Maine to park trucks/trailers so we wouldn't have to slab the boring part.
I have a friendly place in Maine with lot's of parking, it's between Portland and Bangor so it's only gonna save me like 4 hours, takes longer to load/unload the damn truck :)

Chuck better come to this one, lot's of dirt roads long the coast, narrow track that is only legal for ATV and motorcycles

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
pre-NECM Sunday

Rich showed me a very good time and provided a very comfortable bed Sunday night. Rode up early Sunday to try and beat the heat. Stopped and said hey to Roger at Swiss Farm, stopped back in later for The World's Best Breakfast. It was hot all day Sunday. Fortunately, the White River is quite chill, and 2 dips kept us cool before and after some nice riding. Rode home in the rain today, totally worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Rich showed me a very good time and provided a very comfortable bed Sunday night. Rode up early Sunday to try and beat the heat. Stopped and said hey to Roger at Swiss Farm, stopped back in later for The World's Best Breakfast. It was hot all day Sunday. Fortunately, the White River is quite chill, and 2 dips kept us cool before and after some nice riding. Rode home in the rain today, totally worth it.
Ya Dad , good fun in the hot summer sun!!! Nothing like a dip in the White River when it's hot and humid out...
Thanks for coming up, it was great rippin' around central VT with you and Achtung Baby!!!
See what your missing Mike!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,315 Posts
less than 4 weeks to Palmer on 8/26 (through Fishtail)! Heading up Sunday and if it's not blistering hot I may camp in the Transit and spoon Baby-T.

41 - 60 of 260 Posts