Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
From my understanding my SC Biposto is bone stock. Is there a major weakness on this bike that needs upgrading no matter what?

I read about Ohlins forks and Speedymoto this and that. Termi exhaust, etc. Are these just cool buys that add to the experience if you have the $$$ to spend? Any info/advice would be appreciated.

I know there are performance upgrades and cosmetic. I myself like some of the cosmetic upgrades (FLEDA , Speedymoto belt covers, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
If you still have the stock tires, I think that's the one thing you could change to make the most noticeable difference without changing anything else. and relatively inexpensive compared to suspension, exhaust, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
There are threads on this subject and I always recommend going to a 14T front sprocket. Makes the bike much easier/tolerable in slow traffic!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
After changing the tires, you may want to ensure the suspension is setup for you. If you are average size then it's probably ok, but if you're not, like me, then this will make a huge difference.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Tires.
14T Front Sprocket.
FatDuc O2 Sensor.

Those three will get you a good baseline.

You can Farkle up/down from there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the replies. I am the third owner. The bike has 4500 miles on it. The first owner had it until 2009. My friend (the second owner) owned it for about two years and put probably 1,000 miles on it. From fall 2010 to winter 2011 it sat in a garage. The bike wouldn't start. My buddy never really did anything with the bike as far as servicing goes.

I got the bike. Changed the battery and spark plugs. Got it to start. I read the owners manual. I'm going to change the oil and other fluids. Just wondering what else I should be greasing/treating/checking/putting new fluids in.

Is this good for the 14T?: Ducati 14T Drilled Front Sprocket (96824601B) | Pro Italia

I saw a previous thread. What tires would be good? Tire Packages at Compacc.com

O2 Sensor?: http://www.fatduc.com/order.html

-- Are there any installation tutorials for the 14T and the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Tires.
14T Front Sprocket.
FatDuc O2 Sensor.

Those three will get you a good baseline.

You can Farkle up/down from there.
Add to the above a front end fix, either a fork swap, cartridge kit or simple springs and oil with dialing in. It's a safety issue. It also may be time to replace the belts regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking for the most cost effective solutions right now. The sprocket looks to be under $100. Same for the sensor. The tires look under $500.

For the front end, that is a definite safety issue? What is not going to break the bank but still be a solution?

Again, I'm a student in my early 20s. I wish I had $5K to drop into the bike right now, but I don't. I just want the necessities that will ensure a safe and effective ride.

I'm really concerned about checking things that my friend neglected. I want to fix/treat/replace things now before it turns into a bigger issue. So any info would be great.

This is my very first bike. I'm sorry if I sound really uninformed. I wish that had a 'Ducati for Dummies' book. Can someone on here get on that? Haha.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's a lot of bike for a first one. Check the suspension sticky. Have someone who knows suspensions set up the front with new or preloaded stock springs and new fluid set to your riding style and weight. $200 should do it. Don't do any farkley(sp) mods until you've ridden it awhile and have a clearer idea of what you want.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Tires - If you have stockers, they've passed there useable life.

Forks - You don't realize how bad the front suspension is until you replace it. I installed Ohlins FGRTs, but there are cheaper alternatives. Try to find a set of S4 adjustable forks. They're a direct bolt on and make an unbelievable difference. There is a section of road on my commute that beat up my back for 20 miles, I dreaded taking it, I would get wiggling in the corners like I was about to get a slapper. After I changed the forks I didn't realize until I was way beyond it that I had already gone past.

14t front, or wait until you need a chain and do a 15/42 in either 525 or a 520 DID ZVMX. The bikes are over geared, you will never over-rev your bike in 6th. I liked the 14t, but it is a small sprocket, and will cause your chain guide to get eaten, but the gearing is the same as the 15/42 and runs the same for cheaper if you aren't doing a full chain and sprocket swap. If you do go 520, stick to the 15t as the 14t increases stress on the chain (not a problem with a 525 chain).

Open up your air filter cover. You simply need to drill a hole in top of the filter cover panel where the core of the filter is (see a picture of a DP cover, that's all they are). Free horsepower and a little extra sound.

The list goes on (wheels, tail chop, exhaust)... really .. it's what you want to make it. The bike is fine stock for some and faster and better handling out of the box than most bikes available in the 70s ... so you might not need to do a thing if you think of it as a classic.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
There's a set of st4s forks on the classifieds (not mine) for a good price. Those are a straight bolt on, and as these are 2002s the length is identical to stock. Gives you 3 way adjustability, and a bit of bling with the TiN lowers

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Take your time to make changes. Only the tyres are a safety issue, the rest is handling and performance, which can wait. It's not like the bike is an old dog outta the crate.

Front sprocket downsize is your cheapest perfromance mod, and the Fat Duc is good value, however, if you ever find a set of Termis with a Race ECU you won't need the Fat Duc, and that is a great upgrade for looks and performance worth saving for.

As for the suspension, the cheapest solution - and a great outcome - is to (professionally) fit a set of Wilber springs and heavier for oil to the exisiting tubes. The rear adjustable marzoccis are fine. To upgrade meaningfully from that invloves big bucks or a lucky find.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Fer Cryin' out loud! He's a new rider on a bike that is most likely perfect for him just as it is. Tires-absolutely. Belts-you bet. General condition check up by a qualified person-must do. Ride it, enjoy it. Get good enough that he is comfortable on it. Get on some other bikes, even other brands and take a test ride. Find out what you like, or dislike about the others vs yours. Then talk about how to go about achieving what you *think* you might need. Remember there is a lotta' grey area between what one needs and what one wants.

You gotta' dance with the lady.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fer Cryin' out loud! He's a new rider on a bike that is most likely perfect for him just as it is. Tires-absolutely. Belts-you bet. General condition check up by a qualified person-must do. Ride it, enjoy it. Get good enough that he is comfortable on it. Get on some other bikes, even other brands and take a test ride. Find out what you like, or dislike about the others vs yours. Then talk about how to go about achieving what you *think* you might need. Remember there is a lotta' grey area between what one needs and what one wants.

You gotta' dance with the lady.

I agree.. for what the owner is asking, tyres and belts are necessity...
it is a fantastic bike as is!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts