Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

in addition to the Guzzis I also own a Aprilia RST 1000, which uses a Sagem ECU. There's a good tool available for down/uploading the BIN or parts thereof and changing some parameters: TuneECU - Links

However, the BIN, when downloaded, seems to be encrypted. Inquiries to Alain and Tom where left unanswered. As my preference is to work with Tunerpro when editing BINs, I wonder if any of you knows more about this and might even know the format of the downloaded hex file.

Thanks
Meinolf

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
HeyMeinolf,
You might do better asking the question in an Aprillia forum or even a Benelli forum as Ducs did not use the Sagem.

However, having done some stuff on a friend's Benelli TNT (Walbro ECU) and another friend's Triumph (can't even remember the ECU brand now) .....

I recall that I needed to open a map on my computer that was essentially the same as that for the ECU and model.
Only then could I read/download the file from the ECU.

After that, Tune ECU was a PITA as I could not use logged data and directly copy and paste from my workbook that you know all too well to change the fuel map(s)
I helped t_bare with his Triumph 675 using logged AFR data etc. with my workbook, but the simplest method was to produce a fuel trim table, rather than absolute fuel values, and then Todd had to manually enter trims, where data was available.

The Benelli was the biggest PITA I have ever encountered with so many problems, some IMO Benelli and some from whoever screwed with the bike before my friend bought it. Setting what we we call closed throttle for idle was lacking any documentation. Eventually I found a Benelli forum in French and combined my schoolboy French from 50 years ago with Google or whatever translate to work it out.
It is still running after 5 or so years and he still owns it, in spite of my adamant suggestions to sell it to a Benelli enthusiast for whatever.

Have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard,

I should have been more specific.

It's not about the Sagem ECU as such, it's about the format TuneECU stores the downloaded BIN in. And TuneECU supports Duc models. If you look at it with a hex editor, it will become obvious that the data is scrambled.

And the same question was asked on other forums as well sometimes you need to turn every stone.

Cheers
Meinolf

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hi Richard,

I should have been more specific.

It's not about the Sagem ECU as such, it's about the format TuneECU stores the downloaded BIN in. And TuneECU supports Duc models. If you look at it with a hex editor, it will become obvious that the data is scrambled.

And the same question was asked on other forums as well sometimes you need to turn every stone.

Cheers
Meinolf
yes - every stone turned, read and tested no doubt by you.

I am guessing that this is TuneECU is protecting their IP, just like Tuneboy, Rexxer, JP Diag also protect their IP, where IP is obviously intellectual property, but also the time it took them to develop whatever.

Otherwise we would all be buying Windows ZZZ or Office ABC for the price of a CD in Aldi, rather than the developer recouping all costs and making a profit for their efforts.

No response required as my post is simply an observation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

resolved. Alain, the author of TuneECU, was so kind to send an unencrypted version of the BIN.

Cheers
Meinolf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts