Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New to ducatis. Been into Nortons for a few years. Wanted a multistrada but we don't fit. Came across the gt 1000 and I'm intrigued. Doesn't seem to be many for sale out there.

I'd like a2010 but also interested in low mile earlier. Plan to spend up to 10,000 for the right bike.

What to look for and what to beware of? Do all the fiberglass tanks leach resin? Will the new Indian alloy tanks fit the gt100? How is the maintenance? As a norton owner I'm familiar w/maintenance. Thank, rick

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hi guys. New to ducatis. Been into Nortons for a few years. Wanted a multistrada but we don't fit.
Welcome.

Came across the gt 1000 and I'm intrigued. Doesn't seem to be many for sale out there.
There aren't.

I'd like a2010 but also interested in low mile earlier. Plan to spend up to 10,000 for the right bike.
Prices are starting back up for the SC line. But you are realistic in $.

What to look for and what to beware of? Do all the fiberglass tanks leach resin? Will the new Indian alloy tanks fit the gt100? How is the maintenance? As a norton owner I'm familiar w/maintenance. Thank, rick
If its been taken care of the DS1000 motor is bullet-proof. The 2V motor is self-serviceable. Plenty of sites, links, YouTube & Maintenace manuals out there.

No alloy tank for the GT.

There is a lot of good reading on this site; The good, bad & ugly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Had a bad fiberglass tank episode on my first norton. Wound up going alloy. Is there any kind of fix for the tank that's reliable?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I feel that the expanding tank thing is overblown,there are a couple of things some guys did that are creative,I personally use the tank bag method.I cant say I'm happy about the problem but given the reliability I've experienced with my bike I really don't dwell one the tank thing.it's going to be one thing or another.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've seen GTs go for as low as 6k so your should have no problem with 10. If the tank spreads, for the next 2 years or so, it can be replaced through a dealership (check board for a few discussions on the lawsuit). If you have or get a good tank, just get it coated (again, all somewhere on these boards). If using a stock pipe, might wanna get a FatDuc to prevent low rev sputtering (so I've heard).

Otherwise, it's just a strong, well-built bike. Treat her right, she'll treat you right.

David

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've seen GTs go for as low as 6k so your should have no problem with 10. If the tank spreads, for the next 2 years or so, it can be replaced through a dealership (check board for a few discussions on the lawsuit). If you have or get a good tank, just get it coated (again, all somewhere on these boards). If using a stock pipe, might wanna get a FatDuc to prevent low rev sputtering (so I've heard).

Otherwise, it's just a strong, well-built bike. Treat her right, she'll treat you right.

David
Warranty is 18 months after February, 2012, at the very least. So... you have about a year to find a bike and solve the tank issue.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you've fettled with Amals,Zeners and Isolastics you'll have no problem with plastic tanks,voltage rectifiers and nonadjustable forks.
Its the same but different :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts