Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - for those of you that have used the NAPA fuel pump - I'm replacing my original fuel pump with the NAPA model from the "compatible parts" sticky. The pump is physically identical including the electrical connector, except for the plastic baffle at the bottom. On the OEM pump, it's longer and so the suction is further down into the strainer.

On the NAPA pump, with that big rubber fuel pump holder positioned correctly, the fuel pump suction is barely down into the strainer. Is this OK, or did you guys modify it the pump somehow?

Thanks!

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Never used the NAPA part. Does the plastic piece pop off?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,724 Posts
If you can't get it to work for you, CA Cycleworks sells aftermarket fuel pumps.

·
Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
Does the NAPA unit fit in the strainer cup? If it fits securely it should work even if the height is a bit off.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, I meant Bosch pump FROM Napa. :)

I think this is the issue - the bosch pump has a wider baffle at the bottom, so it prevents the lip of the pump retainer from seating inside the upper part of the strainer if that makes sense. To make the retainer fit correctly, I basically have to fit the fuel pump in there like in the second picture below, which is basically right at the top of the strainer. That notched ring in the holder in the second pic seats inside the top of the strainer. I'm assuming someone here has used this Bosch pump before, since it's listed in the sticky?

Bosch fuel pump by Matt, on Flickr

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,724 Posts
The only downside I see is that you'll run out of gas that much sooner.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I have that exact pump and fitted it up with no problems. Never have ran out of fuel, I fill up when the bar is on 1 and flashing. The way that the rubber holder sit's down in the sump of the flange your talking maybe a couple of ounces or less of fuel pick up? No problems

·
Registered
110 Posts
First off, I meant Bosch pump FROM Napa. :)

I think this is the issue - the bosch pump has a wider baffle at the bottom, so it prevents the lip of the pump retainer from seating inside the upper part of the strainer if that makes sense. To make the retainer fit correctly, I basically have to fit the fuel pump in there like in the second picture below, which is basically right at the top of the strainer. That notched ring in the holder in the second pic seats inside the top of the strainer. I'm assuming someone here has used this Bosch pump before, since it's listed in the sticky?

Click on "technical specs" Read this carefully and see if it doesn't fix your problem. Let the rest of us know if this works out or not.

BOSCH - Replacement Ducati Fuel Pump Ducati Part # 43040041A. EME Part # FP-998

Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that exact pump and fitted it up with no problems. Never have ran out of fuel, I fill up when the bar is on 1 and flashing. The way that the rubber holder sit's down in the sump of the flange your talking maybe a couple of ounces or less of fuel pick up? No problems
Thanks! Good to hear.

mkiii850 - thanks for the link to the "how to" on modifying that baffle. I decided I didn't really want to take a dremel to it and I just installed it as is.

I put it back together last night, and WOW, I can't believe what a difference that new fuel pump made. It's been idling pretty rough, especially on startup, over the last several months and really hard to start lately. After putting the new pump and other innards in there, it started up instantly after sitting for about a month, and holy cow it's running stronger! I guess that original fuel pump was pretty tired after 12 years and 48k miles.

It's idling a few hundred rpm higher than it was - around 1250 RPM. I'm guessing because of the increased fuel pressure. Is that too high for idle?

As an added bonus, it didn't explode into a ball of flames on my first ride on it today! So I guess I seated that o-ring correctly. Whew! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I haven't read it all but you just swap the bottom intakes over.
Unclip the circlip and swap, the white part on the Bosch part just pops off and is discarded.
I can take more photos if necessary, my project is mostly in my lounge room at present.:wink2:

Craig

Attachments

Reactions: SS904

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Yes. The end that comes on a new Bosch pump simply pops off. Not sure what that link with the drill and dremel tool business was all about...

I had a bad pump in the 916 project parts box, with all the fixins, on hand and ordered two of these for spares: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZICV8?keywords=Bosch%2069238&qid=1448838474&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1[/ame]. Wanted to have a ready spare to swap into the ST. Pretty sure that pump is dying.

I actually just did this today after the mailman delivered my new spare pumps.

New pump

New pump with end popped off.

The part that was popped off

Old pump

Old pump parts you save. The little clip is pressed on, not sitting in a groove like a normal circlip. If you bend it a little, just bend it back.

New pump with old parts. Tap the clip in place with a deep 1/8" socket.

New pump ready to install.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice - thanks for the pics. I was worried about breaking that white part on the new pump. I saved the old one so next time I have to do it I'll swap them out.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
All in the name of science!

Took the old pump I had and used a large pipe cutter to open it at each end. Here's what's inside!

All the parts laid out.

Top showing the electrical contacts you can see and the brush assembly.

Inside the motor body. You can see the permanent magnets and the brushes. The groove between the magnets towards the top of the pic corresponds with the output fitting on top of the pump.

Motor's rotor.

Rotor inserted into the pump assembly. This part includes the pump's intake.

Actual impeller that is mechanically connected to the rotor.

Exploded view of the pump.

So yeah, that's what's inside! This was an OEM Bosch pump and I will say it was pretty well built with solid heavy parts. Not sure this was a bad pump, but I was told it was no good and it came free with a 916 pump base I got, so I figure it was worth cutting up. It's bad now if it wasn't before!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome SS904. All the pics helped me alot, especially for the clip people kept talking about. :wink2:
* Edit * These pics with the explanation would be perfect to add to the pump stuff in the sticky. -2cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts