Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just discovered a nail in the middle portion of my rear tire. I was not planning on buying a new set for another month or two. Am I foolish to have the nail pulled and the hole plugged like you would with a car tire?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hit a nail a couple weeks after installing a new set of 208GPs. I opted for a patch/plug vs. a new tire. I swapped the tire over to my R1 track bike and ran it with no problems. If you're planning to get new tires in a month, I'd probably just go with new tires now since you'll end up pulling the tire off the rim to patch/plug it (the correct way) anyway. For what it's worth, I've heard of people running 2 or 3 patch/plugs in the same tire at the track without any issues. Other people think of it as cheap insurance to get a new tire. Sup to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I picked up a nail about a year ago in a Pilot Power with 20 miles on it. I used one of The Tire Pluggers from http://www.stopngo.com/contents/1075.asp and rode with the plug for several months with no leakage.

I keep this thing in my car as I seem to pick up a dozen nails or so each year. Lucky I guess.

The wise thing to do is replace the tire, but if you decide to plug it - check it often.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There is a difference between a patch and a plug. A patch is ok if you have to get by.. But a plug, like that black rubber string that you jam in the hole and cut off. These are no good it will probably come out. Car tires are alot thicker so the hole the plugs in better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
IMO your tires are the only thing keeping you on the road. I would never take a gamble with anything related to sport riding, especially protective gear and tires. It's just not worth it. Move your timeline up and get new tires. :)

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
I've run a plug, from those same people, for over 10k miles on my K1200LT.

I've patched a tire from the inside on my Ducati - using a radial patch. Those I'd trust riding hard.

Sidewall? get a new tire. Good patch, from the inside, prepped well - I'd have no problem with that.

Keep in mind, I'm no authority and you're free to do as you wish - it's your call and your call alone. You're the responsible party if you choose to patch it.

If you're going to call a lawyer if you crash after patching your tire - even if it's not a result of the patch...then you never came here, we never saw this post....what was your name again?

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
+1 on Buckelew´s post.

Your tires are important. I´d run a plug on "moderate" road use, but never on the track or when riding gets "inspired", becuase then your putting alot of strain on them.

And as has been said.. Your tires are what keeps you in some form of control even if the engine, brakes or gearbox craps out on you.

//amullo
asumes NO liability.. and try getting any, since I´m not even in the country! J/k

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
+2 on Buckelew and Amullo posts.

I've ran patched rear tires to over 6k miles after install - no problems. This was on a 600cc bike. No Track days.

G

·
Guys I know your trying to save a few bucks and I have had a nail in a brand new tire (and it sucks) but the tire manufactures say not to plug or patch for a reason. Your playing with fire. Luckily this guy lived and the MV wasn't crashed.

To think I almosted deleted these pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all!
I am just going to get new tires now and skip the temporary fix. I appreciate everyone's input and replies!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
SBKI said:
Guys I know your trying to save a few bucks and I have had a nail in a brand new tire (and it sucks) but the tire manufactures say not to plug or patch for a reason. Your playing with fire. Luckily this guy lived and the MV wasn't crashed.

To think I almosted deleted these pictures
I understand what you are trying to say, and safety is always a good point ... but it's really tough to draw exactly where the line of Risk is when it comes to patched tires.

But then again, it's also tough to draw the line on cycling in general. One might want to think that there are far larger overall risks in riding than a well- patched tire.

I suppose the best advise is: if you have unlimited money or riding on the racetrack, then by all means change the damn tire. If you're on a budget, patch it and have a professional do it, save a couple hundred bucks.

How 'hard' someone rides on the street wouldn't count too much. 'Riding Hard" on the street carries other, HIGHER RISKS that easily overwhelm the probabilities of failure on a well-patched tire. Figure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
erinpaul said:
I've just discovered a nail in the middle portion of my rear tire. I was not planning on buying a new set for another month or two. Am I foolish to have the nail pulled and the hole plugged like you would with a car tire?
Last summer I picked up a roofing nail in the rear tire of my Concours on the way to California. We were 50 pounds over weight and running high pressure to compensate. I found it in Ft. Stockton, TX and plugged it with a WalMart plugging kit. The closest bike dealer was supposedly 178 miles away. I ran the plugged tire another 4500 miles while looking for a replacement. It didn't leak and caused no trouble at all. When I finally got a tire that fit, in Laramie, WY, the plug was still solid and looked great on the inside. As a concession to the plug, I held my speed down to 85 MPH, but otherwise ignored the plug.

I would plug it and declare the speed rating null. The center of the tread is the best place to catch a nail.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was just wondering, we see these posts frequently and the answers are always the same. There are the purist,, Safety conscious riders who feel (rightly so) that your ass is worth more than $200. There are the anecdotal, who had a tire that had a center puncture and it ran for another 4000 miles while they looked for a replacement. and there are simply the budget minded riders (certainly NOT on a Ducati ;-) ) that really don't want or need to drop the bucks required to replace a fairly new skin just for the extra margin of safety.

So heres the question,
Where are the stories about the tire that had a small puncture in the center portion of the tire, that had a catastrophic disintegration and caused a wreck because of the patch?

(I know, those guys are all dead and can't tell their tale of woe)

Just curious and I am not advocating patching, or admonishing it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
holy thread resurection.

Good quotation:

"Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair." - Dunlop

Ive never seen a "my plug blew out and I lowsided my bike" threads... with that said, I would never ride on a repaired tire. Its like buying nice gear: anything I can do to reduce the risk of riding and the damage to myself in case of a crash - well, its worth it. 200 bucks for peace of mind, not having to constantly inspect the pluc, being able to ride at a brisk pace, etc... its worthit.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not disagreeing w/ you, I was merely wondering if there were any of those stories out there. We see a lot of the others but none of those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts