Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:alien:
A local mechanic mistakenly caught on to a secret Desmosedici owners have been asked to keep under wraps.

He shone a green laser pointer at my bikes swingarm and of course the dot was vividly green. I instantly felt impending doom, and as expected, he pointed the laser at the bodywork. The green laser changed to a bright yellow-orange.

So now the cat's out of the bag. You will notice there are no accessories for the D16RR listed on Ducati's website. That's because they're secret!

Little did he realize, but the mechanic's laser changed colour because my bodywork had been treated with Ducati's Avio-Rub, a proprietary wax which in conjunction with the Marlborough Red paint decreases the coefficient of drag (whatever, it goes over my head too). Bottom line, it's the equivalent of adding 4.5% more horsepower, regardless of altitude.

I use it on my track bike too -unbelievable. It's like adding two teeth to the back sprocket. I feel that in all fairness, all Ducati owners should have access to this product regardless of the model they own.

Anyways, if you go into your dealer with a Desmo owner you might get lucky and obtain this unobtanium wax. If you don't believe me, point a green laser at a Desmosedici.
:abduct:

·
Registered
68 Posts
A local mechanic mistakenly caught on to a secret Desmosedici owners have been asked to keep under wraps.

He shone a green laser pointer at my bikes swingarm and of course the dot was vividly green. I instantly felt impending doom, and as expected, he pointed the laser at the bodywork. The green laser changed to a bright yellow-orange.

So now the cat's out of the bag. You will notice there are no accessories for the D16RR listed on Ducati's website. That's because they're secret!

Little did he realize, but the mechanic's laser changed colour because my bodywork had been treated with Ducati's Avio-Rub, a proprietary wax which in conjunction with the Marlborough Red paint decreases the coefficient of drag (whatever, it goes over my head too). Bottom line, it's the equivalent of adding 4.5% more horsepower, regardless of altitude.

I use it on my track bike too -unbelievable. It's like adding two teeth to the back sprocket. I feel that in all fairness, all Ducati owners should have access to this product regardless of the model they own.

Anyways, if you go into your dealer with a Desmo owner you might get lucky and obtain this unobtanium wax. If you don't believe me, point a green laser at a Desmosedici.
:abduct:
Hook me up!

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
D'oh! Good job letting the cat out of the bag! :D

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts

No secret. He was merely pointing out what most of us have known for a long time: yellow is the fastest color. This magic wax you speak of somehow allows a yellow bike to appear red to the naked eye, but it cannot fool a laser.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK let me pose a question -seriously.
How come a green laser shows up yellow when
it hits Marlborough red? It didn't have the same
effect on regular Ducati red from a 1098.

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
OK let me pose a question -seriously.
How come a green laser shows up yellow when
it hits Marlborough red? It didn't have the same
effect on regular Ducati red from a 1098.
Let me answer - not seriously. The OP's point was that the Desmosedici has a secret magic paint or wax included in its bazillion dollar price tag that is not applied to the less expensive models us plebians must settle for.

·
Official Retired Person
7,325 Posts
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

- Sherlock Holmes in 'The Sign of the Four'​

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It's just rebadged HiDef Wax. Don't fall for the marketing hype! The only real downside, other than the price, is that it must be applied in a microscopic swirling fashion. Something about free electrons and potential static electrical hazards at the gas pump.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I beg to differ. I was under the assumption that only a limited number of the bikes would come with the wax applied. And when applied it gave a difference of a corrected 2.9% horsepower.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts