Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this mystery sensor that was ground down and taped up on my 996?!
Bundled up and zip tied to left side of frame.
Can anyone tell me what it is and why it would be disconnected and taped up?

·
Matt
678 Posts
If you’re never going to use it again, cut it off and solder the black wire and the white/green wire together. One less thing to go wrong.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Looks like a side stand switch to me

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
you can also follow the wires up to the connector --If you are not going to use unplug & make a jumper wire harness & jump the 2 wires--this will look more tidy & you can hide it easy

·
Matt
678 Posts
you can also follow the wires up to the connector --If you are not going to use unplug & make a jumper wire harness & jump the 2 wires--this will look more tidy & you can hide it easy
+1 to this. It’s been a while since I last did this. Definitely move up to the connector.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Official Retired Person
7,429 Posts
On a previous bike with a similar side stand switch, I connected a micro switch, hid it on the inside of the frame mounted fairing and used it to disable the ignition when I parked the bike. Added a bit of security when not at home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I assume that the switch was taken off the kickstand so that the bike could be started with the kickstand down.

Not the best solution since it means that the bike can be put in gear and ridden off with the kickstand down, at least until your first try at turning left. Trust me I did this with a 900SS and it was costly.

Better solution lets the bike be started in neutral with the kickstand down. But if you put it in gear with the kickstand down, the bike dies. I cobbled up relays, etc. that did this on the 900SS. Pain in the butt. This outfit:

makes a plug in solution for the 996 among others that does the same thing. I have it on my 996 and on my M900ie.
Hope this helps.
Gtista

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,903 Posts
But that doesn't address the reason most remove the switch... they frequently fail and cause the bike to miss fire or stop altogether.
Best compromise is a big fuckoff red flashing led that lights when the stand is down and the motor is running or just switched on.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
237 Posts
For what it’s worth, I cut off the connectors and wires as far up the stream as I can, then connect the wires. It’s the same as jumping the connector, but removes more wiring that isn’t needed in my case.

Getting stranded in the rain because a tiny hole in the sheath let water into the switch is not fun, and since I take riding seriously, checking the side stand is part of the process every time I throw my leg over the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts