Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had bike down at local Ducati dealer for routine maintenance(oil/timingbelt/tires/inspection), and they noticed that rear camshaft seal was leaking. So they pulled calshaft out to replace the seal, and this is what they saw...

Hard to see in pic but thats rear cylinder with worn rocker arm closer to you, and its really hard to see, but back one is starting to show a wear.
Front one needs replacement right away, as it has gone past any chrome, and starting to grind in to soft metal.
Its enough to put damper in any ducati rider's day, and we havent even opened the front cylinder yet.

So I guess I'm looking at about $2300 to fix what we saw so far(includin all sorts of seal and gasket and new set of tire, witch is not too bad) to $4500 in worst case senario(all rocker needs replacing - You never know)..

They are contacting Ducati to see if they are willing to do anything about it (ike cut brake on price of new rocker or something), since this is well documented issue that plagued entire model year of this body style. Ducati changed parts 4 times try to fix the issue(since there are 4 supercision on parts number) appearently.

So I'm annoyed. possible $4500 repair bill on $7000 bike... I'm almost thinking cut my loss and traded it away for something different..

Pic I snapped just before I left to drop her off at dealer yeasterday

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
you don't have to take the bike to the dealer for these services.
DUCATI NA not likely to help out.
you can buy a used motor and drop it in your bike. It's far cheaper, but not necessarily the best solution.
You could upgrade to better aftermarket rockers ( I forget the name of the brand, I am sure someone will chime in).
Don't pay $4500 for this fix. Others on this board have had it repair for far less.
Luckily I never had rocker issues with my 02 748 (sold).
Good Luck

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Its easy to find a set of used rockers on ebay for a few hundred bux, which are in better shape. Replacing the rockers with OEM Ducati one's, won't necessarily resolve any issues. The flaking comes from improper clearances mixed with high rpm running and of course, the earlier models have more problems then the later ones. Needless to say, labor to replace the rockers is what costs the money. No matter what you do, you should make the dealer do the clearances all over again with the new parts, to help prevent this from happening again. Then, keep the old rockers and get them re-surfaced, so if you have another failure, you can easily swap the re-surfaced rockers in there. The newer plating methods work much better and you rarely see flaking rockers on modern Ducati's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,881 Posts
I performed a full service this winter including belts, valve adjustment and replacement of three rockers. I had a friend with some of the more specialty tools help and it took us two afternoons. Parts--3 good used rockers, belts, shims, etc cost me about $250.

Do it yourself or just swap motors if your dealer is going to rake you over the coals like that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it correct that this flaking can be also caused by not warming your bike up properly. I assume if it is the case , there would be more failures in the colder parts of the world !

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Is it correct that this flaking can be also caused by not warming your bike up properly. I assume if it is the case , there would be more failures in the colder parts of the world !
If your using good quality oil at the right viscosity, this issue isn't present. I never let my bikes warm up and never had a flaking issue on my street bike. My race bike had rockers failing monthly... but that was due to higher RPM running.

One tid bit... The Desmoquattro's always had rocker issues because the cam's flex in the center, causing the clearances to get tighter as the RPM's increase. This is why the 748 in particular has an issue, it's redline is much higher then the 916 version. This is one of the many reasons why the testastretta has solid bearings on the cam's. Testastretta's also don't have very many rocker issues... I run my 749R at 12k RPM redline and just checked the rockers, they look perfect.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago on my Y2K 748S. Had to replace 8 rockers and 1 camshaft. I did some research at that time and found that Ducati NA was willing to replace damaged rockers free of charge, even if the bike was out of warranty, as long as the work was done by an authorized Ducati Dealer.

I found a couple of scans of letters from Ducati NA describing this. Let me know if you need them and I'll post them here. They are dated late 2000, I don't know if they still have the same policy.

Unfourtunately none of that applied to me anyways since I live in Europe. Ducati North Europe did not take the same approach - they said it had to be my fault. :rolleyes:

When another 3 flaking rockers was found on the following service, I switched to a Testastretta bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I guess there are 3 rockers that are in dire need of replacing. And 4 are on its way out.
Ducati NA is not going to do anything(darn), and Ducati dealer, who sold me the bike year ago, the same guy(owner, actualy) who told me bike is absolute top natch that rocker was inspected, and need nothing that I'm getting best bike for the money, is not doing anything to help me in anyway.

Infact, he told me just few min ago that best thing to do is to put it back together without fixing it, and just dump it to someone else, and get something else!!
Shop guy is trying to help me, but not much.

In the end, I've dicided to instead of replacing rocker with Ducati one(eventho Ducati regional parts manager swears up and down that new replacement will NOT frake off), or just put it back together, and dump it on someone else, like owner is suggesting, I'm gonna send all my rockerarm off of my bike to cali. There are shop who does somesort of coating that is guarenteed against future fraking or something rather, replace all the gasket and so onto fix the probrem all together.

In the end, sending it to get it recoat all of them cost $200 more then replace 3 with ducati rockerarms in parts.

all together, my total damage was $2751.30.

Not cheap, I know. And I know that I could prolly be able to find some other cheaper way to fix it. And I also really thought about just trade it in towords left over 07 monster S4R, but bike was my guraduating gift from my fiance, and seems like this is the best way to go about this...

After all these, bike is pretty much brand new motor wise.

Thank god that I sold my 2001 Roush Mustang just this past monday, so that at least funding was avaialble..

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Considering you're in State College should we guess which dealer said you should try to screw someone else with this problem? Glad to see it sounds like you're taking the high road. If you're not in State College, or your dealer is not maybe you should let us know. I'd hate to dealer bash but anyone that is out to screw someone should be avoided.

·
Flying Brit
1,820 Posts
If you can't fix it yourself, get another motor on ebay perhaps a 996 for far less or part it out!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cryo Treating

so ive done a bit of searching and havent found any posts about cryo treating.. it seems that this is a problem that has been going on for over 14 years (rocker flaking and failure) .. surely someone has tried this.. there HAS to be a solution to the rocker problem.. not simply replacing them with re-ground stock Ducati parts or Megacycles and then hoping they dont fail again and potentially replacing them every 6k (yeah i know they dont fail every 6k like clockwork) .. there are billions of mechanical parts in different high stress applications in the world that endure harsh conditions yet prove to be continually reliable. Surely there is a material that the rockers could be manufactured from..or possibly treated with that could put an end to this problem.. YES YES i know that Duc's will always require consistant maintenance and inspection / adjustment.. now i know that there are plenty of folks out there that havent had rocker issues.. but there are just as many that have had to replace them or refurbish them one way or another..

in many high stress applications Cryo treating metals significantly reduces wear and increases strength in metals that see repetitive friction/stress and high temperatures..

has anyone had megacycles Cryo treated?

just trying to pursue a solution for the many Desmo riders who deserve stronger rockers!! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
$2751!!!!! HOLY SHIT!!! I thought you were joking earlier. :eek:

I think you should trade it in, let someone else deal with it.

Fix the rockers and then, watch as you're replacing piston rings in another year and then crank bearings a year after that... The 748 is an old bike now, throwing money like that towards it, is just not worth it. :(

I understand your point. I really thought about this exact thing while mechanics and I were trying to figure out the best course of action.

I thought about cut my loss and get 07 S4R, or whatever else out there. Let me tell you, they just got them Streetfighter in, and man it was cool looking bike! And likely thats smarter(but not necessary cheapest) way to go. Even my fiance was for the idea of new bike(just not $13000 leftover S4R, or $20000 Streetfighter. she thought I should get CBR600 or something in that area...yikes!)

But when I thought about how happy I was when I find out that my fiance got me this bike for guraduation gift last year, and how happy she was to see me happy, I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the bike like its some old junker.

Like it or not, I'm now fully commited to this bike. I'll never be able to sale this bike and comeout on top.
When, and hopefuly not anytime soon, piston rings goes and then crank bearings down the road, I've got to fix them

Or find some used engine, rebuild it on side, and be ready

94CobraR, I'm not comfortable doing any internal work on engine. I imagin once I find some good service book for duc, I may try. but at this moment, I'm not comfortable with it.

now i know that there are plenty of folks out there that havent had rocker issues..
Or they just don't know yet.
My bike(and many others with rockerarm issues from what I hear) had no simptom of any sort. It ran fine, it idled fine, oil had no tel-tel sign.
I know many have has some chrome residue in oil, but at least my oil was clear the last time I did the oil change about 500miles ago.
Only reason why we figured out was because we pulled cam out to check the O-ring. Otherwise, we'd never know. I'd put new timing belt, close everything back up, and be on my mary way.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ducati dealer, who sold me the bike year ago, the same guy(owner, actualy) who told me bike is absolute top natch that rocker was inspected, and need nothing that I'm getting best bike for the money, is not doing anything to help me in anyway.

Infact, he told me just few min ago that best thing to do is to put it back together without fixing it, and just dump it to someone else, and get something else!!
Shop guy is trying to help me, but not much.

That's fckd up. .
If you can find someone who knows how to do this, it'll be alot cheaper. Like a good friend or someone..
I'm doing my belts soon myself for the first time because I don't have $600 right now that the dealer wants.
I've collected alot of data on the procedure frome sources including this site. Belt tensioning from guy - tye---- somehtimg..

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
94CobraR, I'm not comfortable doing any internal work on engine. I imagin once I find some good service book for duc, I may try. but at this moment, I'm not comfortable with it.
Maybe it would be much more cost effective to find a 996 motor and drop it in. I know you'd like the power band much better.

Or they just don't know yet.
My bike(and many others with rockerarm issues from what I hear) had no simptom of any sort. It ran fine, it idled fine, oil had no tel-tel sign.
I know many have has some chrome residue in oil, but at least my oil was clear the last time I did the oil change about 500miles ago.
Only reason why we figured out was because we pulled cam out to check the O-ring. Otherwise, we'd never know. I'd put new timing belt, close everything back up, and be on my mary way.
There's no definite chain of events that lead up to flaking rockers. Some folks have put thousands of miles on their bikes with absolutely no issues while others have barely ridden them and have to replace all of their rockers. I know my 748R didn't have any issues, but I didn't keep it in the upper RPM's all the time. My 996 is healthy so far after 11k miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
They are sending it to place called Megacycle to get it recoated.
Recoating all 8 rockers, and shipping came to $800.

But I'm now hearing about this place called MBP.
I can't find their website, so I can't find any info. well, for that matter, I can't find Megacycles either.
Anyone have web address?

Which is better? Megacycle or MBP?

I have until end of today to dicide..

Edit: Never mind. I found Megacycle website, and also MBP. MBP is cheaper(about 1/2 of that of Megacycle).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts