Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old PIAA Plasma GT bulb finally burned out after initially residing in my car for 7 years. I dropped it into the bike because the OEM was a little brighter than a candle. 40 miles from home in the middle of nowhere the bulb dies!(Of course I forgot to put a spare bulb under the seat. I ended up following a car to civilization to light up the road. Bought a cheap H4 bulb at Walmart and got home safely

My buddy wants to give a new HID kit but I don't think it's going to fit. Ballast is very slim which will be no issue. There is so little room from what I have seen without removing the fairing/headlight behind the headlight. The bulb is a Hi/lo bulb where a motor shifts a reflector in the bulb to "simulate" high beam mode of a regular H4 bulb. The mechanism is about 1/2 " long. Does anyone if the bulb will clear back there?

Non HID Bulb

·
Registered
736 Posts
headlight out . . .

greetings M5zealot,

Remove the existing headlight, find center using diagonals, figure diameter of rear of new bulb, measure from face of fairing to rearmost point (frame?). See if that diameter clears stuff by using a cardboard tube or dowel in center of opening. Figure thickness of headlight, add or subtract the rest. Bulbs have a life of their own, we just don't know when they will end. Vibration usually kills the filament. Cars shake less than bikes.

chow,
Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts