Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past riding season I tried running 4 different plugs in my 999.
My 999 is a MY2003 w/ a 1038cc overbore kit, HC Pistal pistons (13.5:1), S cams, light clean up porting/valve work. The plugs were:
NGK CR9EIX (Iridium)
Denso 27IU (Iridium)
Champion RG59V Racing plug
Champion RG4HC OEM recommended plug

Each was run approx 275 -300 miles of street riding. If you go by the gold standard being that if the plug's electrode is tan to brown, the plug/motorcycle are performing perfectly.
Oddly enough the OEM non iridium RG4HC consistently appeared that nice tan color and w/o a doubt were the cleanest both times I used them. I started w/ them and ended with them. The other appeared completely black and oil fouled. The closest to appearing dark brown were the ND IU27s.
I tried the RGs because some dealers that sell the 1038 overbore kit recommend using the RG59V. I found initially my 999 started better w/ them and had improved throttle response. But that seemed to fade after a few starts.
Just some FYI....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm about to start tearing my 999 down for a valve check and possibly change out the spark plugs while I'm at it. I have a few brand new NGK CR9EIX Iridium plugs lying around and was wondering if I should just use those or go with the champion plugs, so this is good info. From the looks of it, probably best to play it safe and use champion plugs.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about to start tearing my 999 down for a valve check and possibly change out the spark plugs while I'm at it. I have a few brand new NGK CR9EIX Iridium plugs lying around and was wondering if I should just use those or go with the champion plugs, so this is good info. From the looks of it, probably best to play it safe and use champion plugs.
I would use what you have and see how it runs....they are the appropriate plug for your 999. Remember this is an "unscientific" test.....

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Had really bad luck with racing plugs, and most of it was solved when I ran the OEM Champions. Others have had different experience, of that I'm aware. For me, the Champions did the trick. Just took them out to fog the engine for winter storage and they were a perfect color.

Ron

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had really bad luck with racing plugs, and most of it was solved when I ran the OEM Champions. Others have had different experience, of that I'm aware. For me, the Champions did the trick. Just took them out to fog the engine for winter storage and they were a perfect color.

Ron
I ran them again after running the Champ RGs, NGK and Denso plugs....just to double check. They looked just like they did the 1st time I removed them, a deep tan color. That's the plug my 999 had in it when FBF did the overbore kit and they suggested staying with it. I'm not sure if the brand/type of plug is taken into consideration among other things, when the squish is set.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would use what you have and see how it runs....they are the appropriate plug for your 999. Remember this is an "unscientific" test.....
Of course I'm taking your results with a grain of salt. By the way ZDM, I hope you don't mind me derailing a bit to ask but I've heard from another Ducati owner that the NGK plugs are not a perfect fit and needed to be filed down a bit to fit, where-as the champion plugs fit perfectly. Can you confirm if this is true from your experience?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I'm taking your results with a grain of salt. By the way ZDM, I hope you don't mind me derailing a bit to ask but I've heard from another Ducati owner that the NGK plugs are not a perfect fit and needed to be filed down a bit to fit, where-as the champion plugs fit perfectly. Can you confirm if this is true from your experience?
I mean I didn't run my 999 and a specific RPM and shut it off, pulled the plugs for a peek. Some say that's the best way to judge how a plug/engine is performing. However it did appear that the standard no frills Champion plug worked best in my instance. Reading spark plugs can get a bit technical by some folks standards.....Drag racing!
You just need to turn the stock spark plug socket down approx 2mm of so, This way it will be able to properly tighten the plug. Some NGK require a terminal nut also.
Shazaam's peice on plugs in the Hall of Wisdom is very interesting....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts