Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my supersport racer project:

The bike originally began as a wrecked 98 900ss. The frame is a modified 2003 monster frame with a custom subframe I built to handle a SBK tank and tail section. The tank has been modified to work with carbs -- lotsa work and some finicky welding on thin steel -- with an oxy torch. It also has 41mm carbs with velocity stacks, and some mild porting and head work done by Doug at Arc Fabrication. It also has a 748 front end and single front rotor. It has an STM slipper clutch and 966 kit, and MBP collets. Penske rear shock and Marvic mag wheels in 17 inch diameter. Galfer rear wave rotor, and a new Arc underengine exhaust system on the way. I did all the work, except for the porting myself. Installed the overbore kit, welded the frame, modified the tank, and am fitting a newer SS bikini fairing in Carbon fibre with a custom front subframe. I also did the painting myself using Autoair colors -- any resemblance to an unnamed Austrian drink manufacturer is purely conincedental. The rest of the bike will also follow the Blue-Silver paint scheme -- hope to fit a DP CF bellypan as well, but that might prove "interesting". I hope to later add a lightweight flywheel (although I like how the bike runs as it is) and a Galfer front rotor for improved braking. Rearsets are also custom-made (being finished). I realize the silver is a bit dark on the bike, but I'm also doing a new Nitro helmet and got the correct aluminum shade for that -- will post pics of the lid if people are interested -- or even if they are not. Seriously going stir crazy right now, as it is the depths of winter in Canada, and no racing. Might buy the new MotoGP film... Doctor, Tornado, etc. etc. Dynoed at 85 hp before carb tuning on a pessimistic mobile dyno. New exhaust might affect the top end but improve midrange.

I love wrenching on bikes almost as much as I do riding. An addiction for sure!

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is cool...keep it going! :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
James, do pick up "The Doctor, The Tornado and the Kentucky Kid" if you can. I got it for Christmas and just watched it last night with some buddies here in town. Haven't watched the extra material yet (90 mins) but the movie itself was pretty cool.

Cheers

Dallas
Winnipeg
'95 900SS/SP

ps Looking forward to seeing your bike in action at Gimli! D.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice! We love track bikes. Can't wait to see more; definitely inspires me to go home and work on mine. Does anybody have any information on setting up a race wiring harness for the fuel injected SS?

·
Registered
48 Posts
race wiring harness

Nice! We love track bikes. Can't wait to see more; definitely inspires me to go home and work on mine. Does anybody have any information on setting up a race wiring harness for the fuel injected SS?
I can't seem to find any information on setting up an SS race wiring harness. I'm just looking to clean up some of the wires that I don't need (taillight headlight etc) but I have no idea of how to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any of the carbon or fiberglass belly pans for Monsters attach to the crankcases so you shouldn't need much work to attach one. Depending on you exhaust routing of course.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That newer bike on your blog looks pretty good and some handy info floating around at just the right time too. Glad you updated when you did.

Couple of things I noticed. Nice to know the frames are not cromoly. I was thinking of makign a couple of changes to my 89 model to get the later model carbs and air box in but was worried about welding cromoly. I believe it can become brittle if not done properly. I note over here a lot of the 4x4 dudes have stopped using it for modified suspension bits that have to be welded for that reason (guess they don'[t really play with it all that often either). TIG welding steel tube is a piece of cake.

Secondly I was thinking in a moment of spare time that a Monster based project with Monster swingarm but 888/916 based bodywork and SBK front end would be a nice thing to play with but I see your original incarnation was stillborn. Maybe a very early Monster frame might still the way to go.

In one of the pics of the bike in white clothing I think it was I noticed you have the SBK rear brake master assembly that bolts to the crankcase but also still have the underslung caliper with the torque arm. Can you elaborate on how you got them both to fit. I'm assuming you made or modified the brake lever bolt to space it over the mounting bracket for the torque arm. I asl as I was intending to use a SBK master on my 89 bike but due to the frame shape and rearset position it would be better to space it out from the engine. I thought initially remaking the bolt would be a bit fiddly?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts