Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post here and wanted to share a pic of my "Ugly Duckling" that I just brought home. She's a '94 with about 28,000 miles on her.
It runs but needs some TLC. AT some point a previous owner painted the wheels and frame purple...all I could think of trailering it home was the Prince song...purple frame, puurrple frame!

I previously owned a '93 900 SS, I bought that one brand new in the spring of '94 and kept it for about three years, sold it off to a friend, he sold it to a friend and I ended up buying in back in 2001. Then like a dummy I sold it again. regretted it ever since.

What are some things I should be looking at when I give it a once over? I have checked the frame neck for cracking and plan to check and maybe replace the belts.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Not Ugly..........unique.

check the usual suspects.
cylinder studs -chrome is bad
frame for cracks, often when we warrantied a frame the customer would have it powder coated. If you have the updated latch mount then the frame was swapped.

check the showa forks for pitting in the chrome sliders usually worse in the bottom 1" of travel.
steel swingarm ....... no problems here.
Gas tank, check for rust and/or leaks

Clean it up and start having fun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Ugly..........unique.

check the usual suspects.
cylinder studs -chrome is bad
frame for cracks, often when we warrantied a frame the customer would have it powder coated. If you have the updated latch mount then the frame was swapped.

check the showa forks for pitting in the chrome sliders usually worse in the bottom 1" of travel.
steel swingarm ....... no problems here.
Gas tank, check for rust and/or leaks

Clean it up and start having fun!
Thanks for the reply...I have been looking for a good Ducati resource and it seems like this forum is active. What is the "updated" latch mount?

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
If you unbolt the bracket on the frame where you fuel tank latches in the front, you will either see it is held on with 2 round nuts welded to the frame or a gusseted mount plate that runs completely across from side to side.

or this

Either one can be cracked but after 97 the last versions from Ducati did not crack, it is possible for you to have either as Ducati warrantied them until 2006/7 so if the bike went to a dealer with a cracked frame it had a good chance of getting the updated frame. There were a few early frames swapped and the customer got a early updated frame that was still prone to crack (like in picture #2) as it was still not done correctly. Once this was figured out we saw no more bad frames.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well
what can we say
a diservice to ducklings everywhere?
not quite , there is a lot of potential there just depends on what you want
or expect
I will say that a blind man would be glad to see it though

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I came from a family of 5 kids, money was always tight, and Dad drove a collection of interesting vehicles. Foremost in my mind when I think of this time is the 70's beetle he drove, which was an amalgamation of two beetles: a red one and a green one, some body panels from each. Mis-matched front seats. Four different tires. The purple frame is certainly, er, unique... I think if you just painted the tank silver to match the body panels maybe nobody would notice the frame. Or... maybe just ride it at night or out in the desert by yourself. Or, hell, paint the whole damn thing purple, get yourself a set of purple leathers and a purple cape, and start your own legend...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I came from a family of 5 kids, money was always tight, and Dad drove a collection of interesting vehicles. Foremost in my mind when I think of this time is the 70's beetle he drove, which was an amalgamation of two beetles: a red one and a green one, some body panels from each. Mis-matched front seats. Four different tires. The purple frame is certainly, er, unique... I think if you just painted the tank silver to match the body panels maybe nobody would notice the frame. Or... maybe just ride it at night or out in the desert by yourself. Or, hell, paint the whole damn thing purple, get yourself a set of purple leathers and a purple cape, and start your own legend...

Hmmm...Purple superhero on a purple Supersport. The possibilities are endless! I really wasn't going to ride it until I at least got the wheels painted, but I just couldn't help myself. I did find some rear panels in red to try and begin restoring it back to being red. Did I mention I got this purple prize for $1200? All it needed was a battery.

If you unbolt the bracket on the frame where you fuel tank latches in the front, you will either see it is held on with 2 round nuts welded to the frame or a gusseted mount plate that runs completely across from side to side.

or this

Either one can be cracked but after 97 the last versions from Ducati did not crack, it is possible for you to have either as Ducati warrantied them until 2006/7 so if the bike went to a dealer with a cracked frame it had a good chance of getting the updated frame. There were a few early frames swapped and the customer got a early updated frame that was still prone to crack (like in picture #2) as it was still not done correctly. Once this was figured out we saw no more bad frames.
Ok, thanks. I will check it out later on today and see what I have.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
You got a great bike like that for only $1200, just about anything you do to it will be an improvement, going forward it can only get better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what she looks like with the rear panels and tail section in red. I also forgot to mention that the seat cowl was signed by Eric and Ben Bostrom.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
For $1200, how could you go wrong? Paint the tank, no-one will notice the purple if you go fast enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike was a CR model so does it have the 4.5" or was it swapped to the 5.5"

I am guessing those are fiberglass fairings added in place of the 1/2 fairings. The carbon front fender will also give room for a 120/70 front tire better than the oem sized for the 120/60

All common upgrades.
How can you tell it was a CR model?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Half fairings , normally. Also non adjustable suspension, steel swing arm, 4.5 " r. Wheel, no carbon fiber, no cool little plaque on the upper triple, no oil temp gauge some years, low pipes, closed clutch cover, r. Brake above the swing arm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Half fairings , normally. Also non adjustable suspension, steel swing arm, 4.5 " r. Wheel, no carbon fiber, no cool little plaque on the upper triple, no oil temp gauge some years, low pipes, closed clutch cover, r. Brake above the swing arm.
Thanks, I guess I should have noticed the non-adjustable suspension myself. I did realize it had a steel swing arm and that that was odd. It does look like the rear wheel was swapped out for the wider 5.5

I'm a little disappointed it's a CR, although I'm still happy with the $1200 purchase price. I wish I would have kept my '93 !

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Thanks, I guess I should have noticed the non-adjustable suspension myself. I did realize it had a steel swing arm and that that was odd. It does look like the rear wheel was swapped out for the wider 5.5

I'm a little disappointed it's a CR, although I'm still happy with the $1200 purchase price. I wish I would have kept my '93 !
Don't be disappointed:

Steel swingarms don't crack
The "adjustable suspension" was only sort-of adjustable
Half fairings get more air over the engine helping it run cooler
The plaque on the triple tended to tarnish
The older carbon fiber wasn't UV protected and tended to yellow, flake and delaminate.
Only the Super-Lights got high mount exhaust.

For $1200 you got a decent rider, and most people are going to correct all of the above any way, you you saved yourself the extra $2k in stuff you were already going to fix.

The CR was essentially a 750SS chassis with the 900 motor and two disc brakes on the front wheel.

Reactions: GZR_Ranger

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

None of those things are bad, and the 4.5" rear wheel is better for these bikes (less unsprung weight, better handling, this engine doesn't need a 5.5" rear).

PhilB

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a love hate relationship going one when I look at your bike. This winter I might strip my bike down and paint it. I do like the red silver though.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have a love hate relationship going one when I look at your bike. This winter I might strip my bike down and paint it. I do like the red silver though.
One of the prettiest SS's I've seen was a photo on this forum of one with the frame and wheels painted red, the body panels all painted white, with red Ducati decals. Really looked amazing, every once in awhile I think about doing that but it's a lot of work and not cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I am going to at least powder coat the wheels...the question is black or silver?

I have a few more questions....

I would like to get some slip on exhaust cans, are the available? I realize this bike is 22 years old.

I seem to have a lean spot around 4,500-5,000 rpm. Would a stage 2 dynojet kit fix this. I noticed there are some "cheese holes" cut in the airbox cover, I'm not sure what work might have been done.

Should the fork sliders be even with the top of the triple clamp? Mine are at least 3/4 of an inch below and the front end feels a little twitchy/nervous.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Motowheels.com carries Spark slip-on exhausts if you want new. Try Ebay if you want used. There are also a few bike-breakers around that are really good at finding stuff.

The fork tubes should protrude about 14mm on the CR if I remember correctly. Try searching the forum for "900ss fork tube height" and see what you get. Front end twitchyness can be a few things - fork height, bad steerer tube bearings, bad wheel bearings and crappy tires can all contribute.

I think I am going to at least powder coat the wheels...the question is black or silver?

I have a few more questions....

I would like to get some slip on exhaust cans, are the available? I realize this bike is 22 years old.

I seem to have a lean spot around 4,500-5,000 rpm. Would a stage 2 dynojet kit fix this. I noticed there are some "cheese holes" cut in the airbox cover, I'm not sure what work might have been done.

Should the fork sliders be even with the top of the triple clamp? Mine are at least 3/4 of an inch below and the front end feels a little twitchy/nervous.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts