Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
hi enrico,

What’s the function of that bypass? Easy to install or a tank disassembly is necessary?
The bypass will get ride of the frustrating and annoying flashing lights by bypassing the fuel gauge and makes it look half full. At that point you just keep track of you mileage, no tank removal on either bike. The Italian engineer made the instruction very clear and hand tools to use.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Add me to the list. 2016 MTS exactly 3 yrs. old. Still have extended warranty but dealer's on a wait list for new sensors. Must be in demand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been using non ethanol gas 90% of time, only when out of town will I use ethanol fuel. Still have failing fuel sensor that was replaced once a couple years ago at least and now went bad when picking bike up from shop. (?)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My MY2015's third fuel sender (C, C, D) began failing on a run into California in August 2019. Since it was very hot (100 F), I thought it might have been heat-related. It would work, fail, work, etc., seeming to fail most often after filling up. It behaved the way others have described: Jumps to empty suddenly and flashes the amber light alternately with the orange bar showing empty, repeating with about a 5 s period. After returning to cooler Oregon it mostly worked, but now and then, after filling up, it would fail for a while.

Scheduled a replacement at my dealer, Motocorsa, along with new tires and an oil change. They had to keep the bike for a week while waiting for the extended policy to agree to pay for it. It covered the $393 cost of parts and labor. This one is a version G, and it was cheaper than the previous 3. So far, so good. BTW, the service guy said they've so far had good luck with this G-version.

Mike
2015 Multi w/ touring and enduro packs at 26k miles to date

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's great, you have warranty coverage, but ~$400 for a fuel sensor, that's insane!

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's great, you have warranty coverage, but ~$400 for a fuel sensor, that's insane!
Yeah, but it was worse for the earlier type D sensors. The cost for my previous replacement was more like $600. The reason I purchased the extended warranty was my fear that I'd have to replace the instrument panel. So far the extended warranty has completely paid for a clutch slave, a leaking fork seal, and the fuel sensor. I've nearly gotten my money back for the extended warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's a given is to buy an extended warranty beyond what the duc boys give, after all its an Italian bike, and boy do they like to charge a fortune for labor :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
The bypass dongle is a nice temp solution to the error but it doesn't fix the problem. Definitely cheaper. All bike shops seem to charge a lot for labor.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
if you do the fuel bypass, you lose the dash info yes? i understand the frustration, but i need to know how much gas i have. these days, i forget my name if someone doesn't remind me. attempting to note the milage at every fillup is not going to end well for me ;)

can anyone tell me how to identify which version sender i currently have?
I have a 2008 S4RS, a 2008 848, a 2011 MTS, a 2014 1199S and a 2018 V4S.

Only the MTS has a fuel gauge and it is hopelessly inaccurate.

Set the trip meter (Trip 1 or 2) to zero each time you refuel.

I've been using that trick for 55 years. 😁

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2008 S4RS, a 2008 848, a 2011 MTS, a 2014 1199S and a 2018 V4S.

Only the MTS has a fuel gauge and it is hopelessly inaccurate.

Set the trip meter (Trip 1 or 2) to zero each time you refuel.

I've been using that trick for 55 years. 😁
Yep, that is why I installed the bypass all my previous bikes did not have a gas gauge, and never ran out of gas. Until they they guarantee a 100% fix I will not give them my money, a $27 bypass will do just fine, thank you!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts