Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time posting to the forum. I am currently getting my bike ready for the riding season and for sale, but of course a problem that has plagued me in the past has returned in full force.

The short of it - the starter is not spinning fast enough to crank the engine over.

It seems as though the starter clutch is slipping or the engine, when passing the compression point in the stroke is spinning too fast for the starter to keep up - causing a crashing sound from the starter gear. This bike is a total pain in the ass to start.

I have looked through a few therads and is seems this is an uncommon problem. Any insight would be great.

Here are some specs
95 916s
New battery
New regulator
Clean wiring and connectors ( I think I need to up the gauge on the wires)
Extra grounds
11k on engine.

Is there a problem with the starters on these bikes. If so whats the fix?

p.s. Will the small Yuasa 7amp battery do more harm than good in this situation?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I haven't had one apart but if the gear is good (noises) it does sound like the starter clutch is slipping.

Others will probably be of more help. If the connections are clean and tight, also a close look at the wire "Crimps" on the main wires (cable) I've read can be a problem.

The noise sounds like the clue to your problem though.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Guys,

First time posting to the forum. I am currently getting my bike ready for the riding season and for sale, but of course a problem that has plagued me in the past has returned in full force.

The short of it - the starter is not spinning fast enough to crank the engine over.

It seems as though the starter clutch is slipping or the engine, when passing the compression point in the stroke is spinning too fast for the starter to keep up - causing a crashing sound from the starter gear. This bike is a total pain in the ass to start.

I have looked through a few therads and is seems this is an uncommon problem. Any insight would be great.

Here are some specs
95 916s
New battery
New regulator
Clean wiring and connectors ( I think I need to up the gauge on the wires)
Extra grounds
11k on engine.

Is there a problem with the starters on these bikes. If so whats the fix?

p.s. Will the small Yuasa 7amp battery do more harm than good in this situation?

Check your ground cable and positive cable for corrossion..if it looks like water got inside you could have bad resistance

·
Registered
778 Posts
When you say "crashing sound from the starter gear," do you mean it sounds like there are marbles grinding behind the left engine cover? And is that occasionally accompanied by a loud CLACK sound and everything stops?

I had a hard starting problem due to an engine management issue. But a side effect of repeated failed start attempts resulted in my destroying my starter sprag. Straight from the FACTORY service manual, it says that the starter clutch is lubricated with ENGINE OIL, not grease. From this I infer that during normal conditions when all is well, the bike should start on the first (or maybe second) attempt; the sprag then naturally gets lubed with the engine oil via mechanical action, no harm done. But with repeated failed attempts, the starter clutch is subjected to repeated start cycles WITH NO LUBRICATION. Sprag go boom. This is what happened on my bike, and the engine then had to be flushed of all the nice shiny bits of sprag shards.

If you are inclined to remove your left engine cover, there's no harm in just checking it out if you've ruled out all other causes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, Thanks for the help. I sorted the issue and traced it to the starter clutch. I found a thread where a guy is installing a spring from an industrial seal. I ordered the seal. I have yet to get the flywheel off, the nut is so tight I broke my socket.
I'll figure out where this spring is supposed to go...hopefully that does it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts