Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop sign the other day and a car hit me in the back. The bike fell on the left side and has some scratches. The left clutch lever seems to be bent or something, as it almost too low to operate with a human hand. My right foot was on the brake and the front of my right leg hit the right side fairing just in front of the clutch cover, cracking the fairing. I got a bruise from that, but no other injuries. The biggest thing seems to be the swing arm. I told the guy at the shop that the chain was hitting something and the rear wheel may have been pushed too far forward. The guy at the shop showed me where the rear end of the swing arm has some damage and say the insurance company may just total it since the fairings can get spendy and the swing arm damage may get too pricey to repair or replace.

The guy looking at it said he normally does insurance estimates, but the guy who hit me has Progressive and they do their own estimates so I'll have to wait and see what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK! Hope you can get the bike fixed. I thought I had a bad week untill I read your post! Saturday the wife and I went into a local Cafe to grab a bite to eat and when we came out we discovered that our 2006 ST3 had been painted an ugly tan color. It turns out that a paint crew was painting a nearby building and the wind carried the over spray to our bike. After I lost my mind and had a one way discussion with the paint crew the wife and I came straight home and spent the next 7 hours cleaning the paint off of our bike. The only thing that I can't get the paint off of is the vinyl back rest on the trunk. I will reattack it this weekend. If I can't get the paint off I will get the paint company to buy me a new one or pay to have this one recovered. Any suggestions? Other than the back rest I think I have the cleanest ST3 in the world after all the buffing and cleaning!!

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK! Hope you can get the bike fixed. I thought I had a bad week untill I read your post! Saturday the wife and I went into a local Cafe to grab a bite to eat and when we came out we discovered that our 2006 ST3 had been painted an ugly tan color. It turns out that a paint crew was painting a nearby building and the wind carried the over spray to our bike. After I lost my mind and had a one way discussion with the paint crew the wife and I came straight home and spent the next 7 hours cleaning the paint off of our bike. The only thing that I can't get the paint off of is the vinyl back rest on the trunk. I will reattack it this weekend. If I can't get the paint off I will get the paint company to buy me a new one or pay to have this one recovered. Any suggestions? Other than the back rest I think I have the cleanest ST3 in the world after all the buffing and cleaning!!
Hey there SEXYDUC,

I am not sure what products you have in the USA, but can you get hold of a graffiti remover suitable for non porous surfaces? An 'orange' or citrus based cleaner could work for you.

Good luck,

Craig

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My right foot was on the brake and the front of my right leg hit the right side fairing just in front of the clutch cover, cracking the fairing.
There was a brand new yellow upper fairing on eBay within the last 2-3 weeks that did not sell the last time I saw it. Never know, it may be on there right now. I believe it was a right upper.

The biggest thing seems to be the swing arm.
You can pick up a swingarm off of eBay for as little as $20 plus shipping. My concern with the bike taking a rear hit would be if the swingarm did any damage to the engine cases. Almost everything else is not that difficult to get your hands on. It sounds like there was minimal damage, so that is a good thing.

Edit - I was wrong. The yellow fairing is a used left upper and the new one is a red right upper. I did see two swingarms on eBay. One was $10 +$17 shipping if no one else bids on it, and the other had a $70 BIN. Is the fairing cracked in a way that you can get it plastic welded and repaint it? I know a pretty good painter in Charlotte, NC who does a lot of work on Ducatis.

·
Administrator
12,567 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about this, I am VERY glad your came out of it OK but the fact your bike is damaged and the other driver is an idiot just sucks. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got hit in the rear April 16 of last year. I was sitting still waiting to turn left on my BMW K1200R and an old woman hit me going 45 mph. It not only totaled my bike, but her mini-van as well. God, Luck, and Gear saved my life. I walked away.

This morning, just down the street from my accident location a man was killed when a box bed truck hit him from the rear and ran over him. I was there right after it happened. It wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Go see a doctor

If you haven't already, go see a doctor to check out and document your injury. You never know if you damaged something that hasn't bothered you yet, ligiment, nerve etc... Also, the process turns into an accident /injury and you will notice the insurance company will treat you different and process the claim sooner. They don't want you making several trips to the doc and racking up the med bill since they pay you 3X the amount spent. Go see a doc to cover yourself. People seem to take better care of their vehicles than themselves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to hear about this and glad your okay.

I had a scooter ram me once, he slid through the intersection with his beanie helmet twisted off enough to make his face an efficient scrapping device.:D

My bike was fine:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike went to the shop yesterday, no word from the insurance yet, but as soon as I hear something I'll put it up here. Anyone ever put a claim in against progressive? Do they assess bikes fairly? Its been 14 years since I've been in an accident and had to deal with an insurance company and that was in a car that got totalled by a guy driving on the wrong side of the road.

I want to thank everyone for all the support. The posts and private messages I've been getting wishing me well and giving advice and info on parts is greatly appreciated. It sucks not being able to ride now that the weather is nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, Got a call from the insurance guy. He looked at the bike but he said he was not able get online to look up parts to get a dollar amount on repairing the damage. I have to wait until Monday to find out the verdict.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Whats the latest, are the insurance people going fix it for you?

Craig

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked to the insurance guy Friday. He said he looked at the bike, had a list of parts and had to look them up to price out the damage. He said he "couldn't access it because the site was down." Said he would call back Monday. While talking to him, I was on Ducati Omaha looking up parts.

Talked to the insurance guy every day this week. Every time I had to call him and it was right before their office closed. Every time it was the same lame excuse. "Oh, I'm working on the numbers right now and I'll call you tomorrow" but he never calls.

Finally today he says its totalled, but he doesn't know how much they will give me because he has to run the numbers by his supervisor and he will call me tomorrow. I told him I'm tired of his excuses and him not calling me. He said it wouldn't have taken so long except it was a Ducati. I told him its not the only Ducati on the planet. I told him the dealer in Omaha has a parts catalog online. He said he knew about that and was trying to use it but it was down all week until today. I know he is full of it because I've been on there looking up parts. I was on there while I was on the phone with him.

So now I'm sure I'm going to get such a lowball number for the value of the bike, I won't be able to afford a moped.

I've had people asking what I planned to do with the bike if it was totalled. The last time I was in an accident was 1996. The car was totalled and the other guys insurance paid the value of the car, but they said they had to take the car. Is there some other option? I don't know how it is supposed to work so I don't know if I'm supposed to keep the bike after they pay me, or if they will offer me less money if I opt to keep the bike. Any input would be great since I think this guy is looking to shaft me in the interest of saving his company money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some states allow you to buy back a salvaged bike, others do not. Others require the bike to go to a salvage auction, where you or others can bid on the bike. Still others forbid the sale of a salvage bike to its previous owner altogether. In the last case, I know people who have used a proxy to purchase the bike from the auction just to sell it back to the former (rightful) owner. I suspect these laws are various attempts to prevent insurance fraud of one sort or another.

I have no idea how it works in SD. It may be that you have to go after the other driver's insurance to recover market value for your machine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Glad to hear your got away with limited injuries, I'm still recovering. I itemized a list with prices for my appraiser and he was quite happy, saved him time. I'm still putting mine back together with several upgrades. The frame sliders I put on mine really prevented allot of damage, even the small axle slider prevented my fork from being damaged.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Don't let them forget to include any and all of your gear if it was damaged or destroyed in the accident. It should be part of the damaged settlement. And when they baulk at that, ask them how much a trip to the ER would cost them .....

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you weren't injured.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been dealing with the other driver's insurance company. None of my gear was damaged. I was sitting still when I got hit and I was wearing a back pack along with my padded jacket. The car pretty much hit the bike out from under me. I fell but did not slide at all.

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what they plan to give me for the bike. I told him if he calls and my wife answers that he can tell her what every he needed to tell me because I work nights and sleep during the day. Well he called but didn't tell her anything. I need to contact his supervisor and complain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts